piranha sports
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 13m 57s
Overall Rank = 50/97
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 after getting to bed around 11:00...slept pretty well except for some dopey drunk kids yelling in the hall around 1:00 AM.....I dressed and walked some gear outside and saw it was RAINING! This wasn't in the plan...came back up and pulled out a peanut butter sandwich and a vitamin water...Kevin went to make oatmeal...we packed up and left the hotel for the race course about 5:40 AM. Arrived at 6:10 AM in a torrential downpour and went to check in...wondering what was going to happen to the race...there was some lightening so we assumed the swim was off...ate my oatmeal and continued to drink some water after getting my number and setting up transition.
Event warmup:

The swim was called off so Kevin and I did some light jogging to warm up. We didn't start until 7:45...the sprint race started around 7:15..they had two waves, we had one.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1300 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Again...this was a run vs. a swim...finished 52/97...quick pace at 7:15 first mile...wow...but the group ran fast...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, felt good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Transition went smoothly though I did stop to take 2 endurolytes which took another few seconds....also my chain popped off as soon as I went to pedal out...my fault..I didn't have the bike in the right gear and I popped the chain.

Check what gear the bike was in first...other than that not much more...I'm ranking this below average due to the bike chain issue...as far as time it's pretty average.
Bike
  • 1h 57m 25s
  • 38 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

See my course comments...this was a fun ride and I handled the rolling hills really well...this was my best bike ride during a race in the two years I've been doing tri's...finished 44th out of 97th which was my best event of the race..so I'm going to rank this 'good' though I still have alot of work to do on the bike...my age group is very competitive and a 19 MPH average is not going to get me into the top bracket..need to be in the 21-22 range.

Really not too much...the weather held us back to some extent especially on the third loop where you needed to really watch the wicked downhills and your brakes...
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

So...this is where my cramping starts..I bend over to put on my running shoes and whamo...my right hami cramps...now I know I'm in for a tough 7 mile run...I slugged down another two endurolytes to try to stave off the cramps at some point...maybe a few more endurolytes on the bike would have helped...faster T2 than T1 but could have been faster without the cramping....

Don't cramp? haha
Run
  • 58m 30s
  • 7 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Starts off with a downhill and then some more downhill and my legs cramp 3--4 times in the first 3 miles...very frustrating because I felt so good on the bike....they loosened up the final 4 miles of which, of course, you had to go back UPHILL so thankfully I was able to hold a fair pace... I was able to pick up some pace as well.....I know I can do better here...finished 61st for my worst event of the morning...such a bummer...I'm going to keep working on the cramping issue.

Nothing really..I need to figure out why I cramp off the bike so much..last two races I have had issues..going to look at bike fit and work the nutrition angle. The only difference in this race vs. my last (Philly Olympic) was that I was able to go at a stronger pace...8:30's though it felt like 10 minute miles (lol)....My next race will be a HIM so we'll see how it goes...
Post race
Warm down:

Not much..finished and walked to transition...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping on the run...that's about it...and probably need to get out on the bike more but I really feel that the bike felt good considering I really am not a biker at heart...only really started last year so 19 MPH average with the hills was acceptable to me.

Event comments:

Not much you can do post race with torrential downpours hampering your activities..the race was well organized, the bike was fun and the run was a challenge for sure...I would recommend this race and I'm sure to come again next year if my schedule permits. (maybe we'll swim this time??)

Last updated: 2009-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1300 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 52/97
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Swim was cancelled and was changed to a 2 mile run which I completed in 14:58. The pace was quick but I felt good. (oh, and I wasn't really bummed about not swimming in the pond..there was something I wasn't sure about so I felt much better after the swim was cancelled...)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:57:25 | 38 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Overall: 44/97
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Three loop rolling hill course. I enjoyed the ride until the rain really kicked in on the third loop. There was one pretty sizeable hill, probably about a mile climb...road conditions were pretty wet and got worse on the third loop as the rain was just coming down.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:30 | 07 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 61/97
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills...that's about it...rolling hills...did I mention rolling hills...and the last mile or so uphill...and my legs cramping...oh, that's not part of the course...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-02 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: Patriot's Triathlon

2009-08-06 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2322583

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Subject: RE: Patriot's Triathlon
nice race also!  looks like we enjoyed the first run together.  bummer about the cramps.  Not much you can do once they start.  Mine kicked in on the drve home and I had to pull over.  Great job toughing it out in that weather.  And yeah, after that effort a soggy roast beef sandwich was not cutting it!  Good luck in the HIM!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Triathlon Rss Feed