General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I joined Team in Training Saturday :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-09 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: I joined Team in Training Saturday :-)
Anybody have any  Team in Training experiences to share? I'll be racing in Orlando, Florida Spetember 25th (Disney Int'l Tri). I am setting up the web page and letters this week. The first person I saw at work this morning gave me a check for $100. Awesome.

2005-05-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: #154796

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: I joined Team in Training Saturday :-)

Yaaaaaaaaay Bill!

I'm a multiple-time, multi-sport participant and local cycling coach, my wife and I have raised over $40,000 for the cause over the past several years. Great organization, great support, great cause.

I was amazed at the outpouring of contributions the first time I did TNT. Within ten days of sending my fundraising letter I had met my goal for the event, ended up tripling my goal that first event.

It's that time of year where I remind everyone in BT.com to consider Tean In Training, as recruiting efforts are currently taking place for the fall season. I'll be training Louisiana cyclists for November's El Tour de Tucson, but check with your local chapter to see what events they are participating in.

For more information or to find your local chapter, go to www.teamintraining.org .

2005-05-09 11:02 AM

I'd love to hear more as you start training, and what you think. A friend and I are going to a meeting in a couple of weeks, but I am still unsure about it. I heard some negative feedback; so I have quite a few questions to ask.
But regardless of that, congrats!
2005-05-09 11:06 AM
in reply to: #154807

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Jillian (or anyone else for that matter), I'd be happy to address any of your questions, concerns, or negative feedback that you've heard. PM or email me if you'd like.
2005-05-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #154812

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I've heard negative feedback as well, but mostly from non-participants regarding the "purple menace". After the Rookie Tri this week-end, I'm afraid some of the detractors may have valid points.

Most of the complaints I've read have been the group-think mentality that can settle in. Whenever you get a large group of people together, there's a tendency for them to act in ways that they wouldn't otherwise. At the Rookie Tri this week-end, I saw TnT folks "saving" large blocks of space in the transition area as it was rapidly filling, riding in a group of 4-5 on the bike, running 3 abreast on the run course, and cheering only for other TnTers, among other things.

The cheering thing bothered me as much as anything else. Towards the end of the race, as the last people were working to get in. I was near the finish chute applauding everyone that came by because I was impressed. The people coming in didn't race as fast as I did, but they were working just as hard. They were also making a serious effort to reverse the effects of too much time in the recliner eating Twinkies. The overall effort it took for them to get the finish mine was probably quite a bit larger than mine. I have to respect that. The TnTers about 20 feet away, however, would cheer and applaud ONLY when another TnTer was coming in. Otherwise, they ignored the racer.

I don't fault the concept. I think the fact that TnT has raised so much money is fantastic. I do think a bit more focus needs to given to race etiquette and rules, though.
2005-05-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #154842

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Valid concerns, and within our chapters we try to emphasize race etiquette and proper behavior. Remembering, of course, that most of our participants are first-timers and act no better or worse than other first-timers on the course. I do think a lot of this criticism in these area (especially the cheering part) is because TNT has such a large and visible (purple) contingency at these events that they tend to be more readily noticed. I don't think that you would criticize someone's family for not cheering as loudly for a stranger as they would their husband/wife/mother/father, but you would readily criticize the more visible group for cheering more loudly for those with which they have a close affilitation, perhaps among people who have trained together for months.

I know as coaches out on the course it is our intent and our directive to be supportive and encouraging to all participants. I have stopped several times to help non-TNTers with flats and mechanical problems, only to have to double time to catch up with my participants. Also have no problem with others joining our paceline (which I lead 90% of the time).

Bottom line: a lot of the behavior you describe is human nature, within any group there will be good and bad people, caring and thoughtless people.

2005-05-09 12:24 PM
in reply to: #154853

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Let me preface this by saying I've never even seen someone in a TNT uniform and the very few people I know personally who have participated in a TNT event recommended to me that I not do it due to extreme pressure to meet fundraising goals. That appears to not be a universal issue however.

The issue being described here isn't thoughtless, sometimes rude behavior by people in a group. It is thoughtless, sometimes rude behavior by a sizable subgroup within a larger group made up mostly of individuals. The behavior repeatedly attributed to some TNT'ers at many races is antithetical to the attitude, mindset and behavior of the majority of triathtletes. This bugs people. It can only bug them.

Bottom line: It is not "a few individuals". It is *Team* in Training. It's a great charity, but you can't call something a Team and then not have the team take responsibility for what it's members do in groups while wearing the uniform.

2005-05-09 12:45 PM
in reply to: #154864

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Nope, not trying to avoid responsibility, just suggesting that it's more noticeable because of the high numbers and high visibility of the group.

BTW, there's no "extreme pressure to meet fundraising goals." Either you do or you don't.

2005-05-09 1:28 PM

Master
I have participated in 3 events with TNT in 2 years. I have had a great experience from doing the marathon program to doing the tri program.

I know a lot of people get freaked out over the fundraising, but if you plan everything out you shouldn't have a problem. You should be paired up with a mentor that has done the event, so they can help you with any fundraising issues as well as training. The office is also there to help you out as well. Utilize your coaches, mentors and fellow teammates as much as possible. Everyone is there to help you have a great experience.

2005-05-09 1:34 PM

User image

I've never been with TNT but know people who have or are active participants.
You'll get both positive and negative experiences.
In general, I think it's great for the people who are new to the sports and need some motivating or coaching to get them to do something physically challenging. It's less intimidating then jumping into a club with a bunch of fast racers.
After their first TNT experience, many people subsequently go off and train on their own for future events.
One friend didn't like the coaching and the schedule demands; she needed more flexibility.
The fundraising part can be difficult if you're doing it on your own. I think you have to pay out of your own pocket if you don't meet the goal for your event

On the other hand, another friend was enthusiastic enough to become a mentor for TNT.

2005-05-09 2:23 PM
in reply to: #154876

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I've read and heard what amounts to the same comments a number of times: it's a great charity/gets people involved in endurance sports/some of the participants and their supporters can get a little carried away with themselves and be inconsiderate to other athletes.

The reality is that TNT is probably only going to get bigger and it's only a matter of time before other charities adopt the model. The pros (which are obviously huge) and cons (which are mostly just annoyances but still avoidable) are only going to become more pronounced. I'm leaning towards a solution of "then get involved so you can model and advocate the correct behavior amongst participants".

2005-05-09 2:24 PM
in reply to: #154905

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

onefitgeek - 2005-05-09 12:34 PMThe fundraising part can be difficult if you're doing it on your own. I think you have to pay out of your own pocket if you don't meet the goal for your event.

On the other hand, another friend was enthusiastic enough to become a mentor for TNT.

Nope, you have the option "to pay out of your own pocket if you don't meet the goal for your event," to make up the shortfall between what you have raised and your goal. You also can continue fundraising after your event to make up any shortfall or to "reimburse" any amounts you contributed to make up that shortfall.

Don't want to come off as a TNT apologist, just hoping to clarify some of the misconceptions.

2005-05-09 2:29 PM
in reply to: #154963

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
marmadaddy - 2005-05-09 1:23 PM

The reality is that TNT is probably only going to get bigger and it's only a matter of time before other charities adopt the model. The pros (which are obviously huge) and cons (which are mostly just annoyances but still avoidable) are only going to become more pronounced. I'm leaning towards a solution of "then get involved so you can model and advocate the correct behavior amongst participants".

Don't know where you've been, but go to any major marathon and you'll find gobs of organizations (benefitting strokes, AIDS, diabetes, heart disease, muscular dystrophy, etc.) that have already "adopted the model" to some degree. 

2005-05-09 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I did the Marine Corps Marathon years ago with the now defunct Palotta Team Works, the charity was AIDS. I had an incredible expereince, learned a lot about myself through: training with others, raising money, advocacy for AIDS issues, mental toughness, perserverance, some of which you can get by training without a "cause"

But the most important stuff was because I immersed myself in the AIDS issue, and met so many wonderful, inspiring people, both patients and caregivers, I felt a part of a something so much greater than myself. I remember a lot of playful and fun banter bewteen Palotta People and TNT People. we all had a blast, and while I was aware that many die hards objected to our being there, (all charities) our methods (I am a run-walker...) I remember feeling very strongly that I was an ambassador for women runners, for gay people, for people with AIDS. I remember feeling like when I wore anything that said palotta or AIDS Marathon, I had to behave better than anyone else bc I was a member of a team. In fact, I made one of my teammates change his shirt after one run, bc we were planning on guzzling beers after....

now I know Palotta had faults (TNT seems to be doing better) and I don;t need to get into anything over that, I guess I just need to speak up for charity athletes, and for those of us who hold the idea of "Team" as sacrosanct. For those of us who would be highly embarrassed by any perceived negative behavior by a Teammate. And I'll be pissed if Team Javelin athletes aren't into their "image."

hijack over, for now....

PS I also did a Palotta sponsored overnight suicide prevention walk, and a 3 day Avon sponsored walk from Baltimore to WDC for Breast Cancer. Avon and Palotta both gave me a ton more than I earned for them and their causes....

Edited by possum 2005-05-09 2:43 PM
2005-05-09 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I am training for the King's Trail Tri in Maui with TNT. I recommend sending out letters to everyone you know, everyone you do business with, friends of friends, etc. You will be amazed at how many people will send money. I just received a donation from someone I barely knew 20 years ago because a mutual friend forwarded one of my e-mails to his contacts.

I recently competed in St Anthony's tri where there were hundreds of TNT'ers and can see where some look at them negatively, probably because there are so many and there are a lot of novices. I didn't have any problems with any of them and it made me feel good to see them cheering each other on. They also raised over $2 million dollars in that one race alone.

Not all TNT participants are novices. Our team of 23 is mostly veterans, several medal winners in the local races. We emphasize proper ettiquete and procedures to the new people, holding clinics and talking about it at practice. I am sure some of them make mistakes but didn't we all when we were novices? Many go on to become regular triathletes.

For the person upset that they weren't cheering for everyone, I don't understand the problem. I don't cheer for everyone coming across the finish line, usually just the ones I know.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I joined Team in Training Saturday :-) Rss Feed