General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 58m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 19/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:00 - had my usual steelcut oatmeal with scoop almond butter and a coffee. Had parked bike in transition the night before, and arrived at race site by 5:30. Rather dark- so thanks to a gentleman with a flashlight was able to pump up my tires. Other than being really nervous, felt ok.
Event warmup:

Nothing specific. Planned to eat a 1/2 power bar before race- but was just too nervous. Able to get in a few sharkies enroute to walk to swim start.
Swim
  • 44m 21s
  • 2112 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Arrived at swim start with only a few minutes to test the water. Don't think it would have made any difference though- as water was nice and warm. Swam strong (for me!!) and easy- it felt good. Had never swam this far continuosly in a race ( the last HIM was a double loop course)- so was a bit nervous.
What would you do differently?:

- uhhh- swim faster!!! work on good ole technique.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Bike
  • 3h 35m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

- after the first 15 min on the bike- I knew I was going to be in trouble. Hamstrings/ gluts felt tired- no energy what so ever. Was aiming for a 3:15 on the bike- I knew immediatelly I was bonking. Tried to get the fluids/nutrition in- just did not help. Tried to just "spin it out"- nope- legs were just fatigued starting into the bike! Henceforth- the
ride was long and slow. Passed by everyone! Tried to make the best of it- could not help by keep looking at time on the cateye. Nope- just bonked on the bike- despite cliff bars, cliff bloks, infinit and water.
What would you do differently?:

- wish I knew!!!
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Run
  • 2h 31m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

came off the bike- feeling ok- I think I was just so glad to get off the bike!! Was hoping for a 2:25- oh well. Lots of walking/ running. Could not seem to get enough fluids in- perhpas should have used and trained with salt tabs... as seemed to be thirsty for the entire run. Would drink both gatorade and water at the stations, and as well had 2 gels and a couple cliff bloks near the finish. Overall- was satisfied with my run
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had some specific goals I was hoping to reach- but saying
that pehaps it was unrealistic as did a HIM 4 weeks ago - a tougher course, and had better times- oh well- it is what it is!! Overall- pleased that I did hit my #1 goal- and that was to finish the race with a smile- and I did. Another race for the books- hopefully can improve fitness level and times for the next one. I'll be back!

Event comments:

The volunteers were awesome- loved the cold water at the aide stations... Found everyone super friendly- met Nickster a fellow BT'er on the run- in his BT shirt! Overall- I really enjoyed the race- and although not a 'fast" racer- still felt like a super star at the end!!!

Last updated: 2009-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:21 | 2112 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: point to point swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:35:38 | 56 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:31:42 | 13.1 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-05 6:07 AM

Veteran
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2009-08-05 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2328854

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
You ARE a superstar Helen!!!! Whooohooo!!

I'm so glad I ran into you before the race and on the course!!!  Way to go!
2009-08-05 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

YAY!!!!  Your A race, and now it's in the books.  What a great feeling it must be, having completed it in what I consider a decent time.  And your bike time wasn't that bad!  Swim was fabulous, and your run was great too.  SUPER JOB!!!

Edited by Sledge 2009-08-05 3:44 PM
2009-08-05 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

WAY TO GO HELEN!! And there is no better way to finish then with a smile on your face.

2009-08-07 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
You kicked !@@ woman!! What a great swim, bike and run. Sorry that you don't feel your bike was up to par but you did AWESOME and have MUCH to be proud of!!

Thanks for sharing your race report. Someday I hope to be able to complete a HIM!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed