Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Tri Indy : Official Thread

2009-08-17 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2352137

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
I would go with Carbon.  The make just depends on what you want to spend.  I am a big fan of Cervelo.  The P2 is one of the best bikes you can get for the money.  I love my P3.  Scott Plasm is a nice bike.  I am not yet sold on the Aero Cat but run up to Runners Forum in Carmel and check them out. 

GRAZER - 2009-08-16 9:51 PM I really enjoyed the race today. The canal swim was pretty cool because navigation wasn't an issue, plus, my wife and 2 girls were able to walk along the whole 1500 to cheer me on. Maybe you saw them? The huge, blue 2 seater running stroller? I was really happy with my swim and bike, but I kind of bonked on the run around 3.5 miles. Really struggled to get to the finish from that point. I ended up with a 2:41 I think, but I haven't seen the official results. I was on the green 1992 Specialized Hardrock. 1 more race then I get my bike!!! (hmmm Titanium or Carbon?)
2009-08-17 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
I would go with Carbon.  The make just depends on what you want to spend.  I am a big fan of Cervelo.  The P2 is one of the best bikes you can get for the money.  I love my P3.  Scott Plasm is a nice bike.  I am not yet sold on the Aero Cat but run up to Runners Forum in Carmel and check them out. 

GRAZER - 2009-08-16 9:51 PM I really enjoyed the race today. The canal swim was pretty cool because navigation wasn't an issue, plus, my wife and 2 girls were able to walk along the whole 1500 to cheer me on. Maybe you saw them? The huge, blue 2 seater running stroller? I was really happy with my swim and bike, but I kind of bonked on the run around 3.5 miles. Really struggled to get to the finish from that point. I ended up with a 2:41 I think, but I haven't seen the official results. I was on the green 1992 Specialized Hardrock. 1 more race then I get my bike!!! (hmmm Titanium or Carbon?)
2009-08-17 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2352497

User image

Master
gshtrisport - 2009-08-17 8:18 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but still fairly sure, that they are the same as the Planet X copies.
2009-08-17 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Great job! Amazing how fast those HT MTBs can go with proper tires & engine, but your engine deserves a road/TT bike for tri.

Don't know what you budget is, but there are some great bargains on AL TT bikes out there now.  I own 2 roadies from same co (Cannondale) with very similar geometry & identical set-up (reach, seat position, etc.)- a "plush" full carbon Synapse & an older "stiff" AL CAAD5.  I spent big $$ on that "carbon ride" marketing & have been somewhat disappointed.  After thousands of miles & multiple centuries on each, I now think the difference in frame material is pretty minor.  About like runnning 5-10psi less pressure with same wheels & tires (and yes I have switched around my wheels/tires to satisfy my curiosity).  Don't get caught up in hype, but get the bike that FITS you (and your budget) best.  If that happens to be AL, so be it. 

Interesting test of improvement in speed (or savings in power requirements) with changes in road vs TT equipment-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/how-aero-is-aero

I don't have a dedicated TT bike (yet), but I'm leaning towards AL bike rather than carbon & investing the savings in decent wetsuit + coaching.  I haven't yet seen "carbon bling" listed in tri results- (although that bike Coach TJ posted.....). 

Edited by Oldteen 2009-08-17 9:10 AM
2009-08-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2352725

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
You really need to invest in the Carbon bike.  After a while I dont think that you would be happy with an AL or Ti bike.  My frist Tri bike was AL and I did not like it.  If you look at all of the top riders you will see them riding Carbon bike.  They are stiff and light and typically they come with a decent set of wheels / cranks / etc.  Why buy a low end frame and buy a bunch of other stuff. 

The biggest thing to look at is FIT.  You can have the most expensive bike out there but if it does not fit you, you are SOL. 

Oldteen - 2009-08-17 10:05 AM

Great job! Amazing how fast those HT MTBs can go with proper tires & engine, but your engine deserves a road/TT bike for tri.

Don't know what you budget is, but there are some great bargains on AL TT bikes out there now.  I own 2 roadies from same co (Cannondale) with very similar geometry & identical set-up (reach, seat position, etc.)- a "plush" full carbon Synapse & an older "stiff" AL CAAD5.  I spent big $$ on that "carbon ride" marketing & have been somewhat disappointed.  After thousands of miles & multiple centuries on each, I now think the difference in frame material is pretty minor.  About like runnning 5-10psi less pressure with same wheels & tires (and yes I have switched around my wheels/tires to satisfy my curiosity).  Don't get caught up in hype, but get the bike that FITS you (and your budget) best.  If that happens to be AL, so be it. 

Interesting test of improvement in speed (or savings in power requirements) with changes in road vs TT equipment-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/how-aero-is-aero

I don't have a dedicated TT bike (yet), but I'm leaning towards AL bike rather than carbon & investing the savings in decent wetsuit + coaching.  I haven't yet seen "carbon bling" listed in tri results- (although that bike Coach TJ posted.....). 

2009-08-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2330814

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Nowadays people are sometimes so blinded by “carbon” that they prefer a mediocre carbon frame over the best aluminum frame that is lighter, stronger, stiffer, more responsive and even more comfortable.
-  Cervelo, 2009

And no, I do not own a Cervelo.

If you go carbon don't go lesser quality or sacrifice proper fit just for the sake of getting carbon.
2009-08-17 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2352937

User image

Master
Oldteen - 2009-08-17 11:10 AM

Nowadays people are sometimes so blinded by “carbon” that they prefer a mediocre carbon frame over the best aluminum frame that is lighter, stronger, stiffer, more responsive and even more comfortable.
-  Cervelo, 2009

If you go carbon don't go lesser quality or sacrifice proper fit just for the sake of getting carbon.

I'd take a nice high end aluminum, or even high end steel frame over even just an average quality carbon frame. I've seen some very, very nice extremely lightweight steel frames. Some/most are even lighter than a carbon frame, and steel frames ride sweet.

And, no this is not a joke, I am dead serious.

Edited by tjtryon 2009-08-17 12:37 PM
2009-08-17 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2353447

User image

New user
Columbus, Indiana
tjtryon - 2009-08-17 1:36 PM
Oldteen - 2009-08-17 11:10 AM Nowadays people are sometimes so blinded by “carbon” that they prefer a mediocre carbon frame over the best aluminum frame that is lighter, stronger, stiffer, more responsive and even more comfortable.
-  Cervelo, 2009

I'd take a nice high end aluminum, or even high end steel frame over even just an average quality carbon frame. I've seen some very, very nice extremely lightweight steel frames. Some/most are even lighter than a carbon frame, and steel frames ride sweet. And, no this is not a joke, I am dead serious.

Just looked at the posted results. My bike speed was 19.9mph. Man I wanted to get that Hardrock up over 20mph!! 
Thanks for all the input on bike frames, althought to be honest on my budget I'm probably looking at a used bike. I'm more comfortable with a used titanium frame because of the fatique life issues you run into with Aluminum and Carbon.
2009-08-17 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2353935

User image

Master
GRAZER - 2009-08-17 4:05 PM

tjtryon - 2009-08-17 1:36 PM
Oldteen - 2009-08-17 11:10 AM Nowadays people are sometimes so blinded by “carbon” that they prefer a mediocre carbon frame over the best aluminum frame that is lighter, stronger, stiffer, more responsive and even more comfortable.
-  Cervelo, 2009

I'd take a nice high end aluminum, or even high end steel frame over even just an average quality carbon frame. I've seen some very, very nice extremely lightweight steel frames. Some/most are even lighter than a carbon frame, and steel frames ride sweet. And, no this is not a joke, I am dead serious.

Just looked at the posted results. My bike speed was 19.9mph. Man I wanted to get that Hardrock up over 20mph!! 
Thanks for all the input on bike frames, althought to be honest on my budget I'm probably looking at a used bike. I'm more comfortable with a used titanium frame because of the fatique life issues you run into with Aluminum and Carbon.

Best bang for the buck is actually an Aluminum frame. I really have not seen many (or really any) issues with Aluminum frames.

I ride an aluminum Fuji that has taken quite a beating over the last few years. People on here will tell you that the P2 aluminum is one of the best bikes you can buy period (for the $$$).

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get yourself onto a NEW triathlon/tt bike for sub-$1000, and onto a P2 for $1200 (I sent a link out to the sale Competitive Cyclist is having on P2's right now for $1199. Additionally, you can get a nice used triathlon bike for $1000, but you can get a new one for that price too. Shop around, now's a great time to buy. The new models are hitting the stores, and they want to blast last year's models out the door. This is the last big push until they don't sell much when it gets cold (OK, except for XMas time). There are lots of great deals to be had.

I assume you are in Indy. Call Vern Lamere at T3 Multisports, tell him TJ told you to call, and give him your budget price, and see if he can come close. Don't pick a bike and try to "wheel and deal" for the best price on that bike, shops don't like that, but if you tell them how much you can spend, they usually can find something to fit your budget, and Vern is a great guy to work with. He can be reached at 317-257-1117, but they are not open on Mondays.

Don't worry a bit about "Aluminum Fatigue". They wouldn't make bikes from Aluminum if they were constantly falling apart from aluminum fatigue.
2009-08-26 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2330814

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
Overall I loved the entire event.  My most memorable moment came at about 615 am while setting up.  The sun was just rising over the skyline of downtown - AWESOME picture.  I did as well as I could during the swim - 28 min and some change.  Good for me as I had a left separated shoulder.  Bike Ok, run was horrible.  We have had a very cool summer here in Michigan and the temperature just sapped me.  Can't wait for 2010.  Indianpolis should be very proud and I expect this event will continue to grow!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Indy : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3