Set-Up Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 41s
Overall Rank = /800
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 33/37
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Ate Vegan bar and Power bar at 6 am washed down by 16 oz Hammer HEED. Packed transition bag with everything but swim cap. Got new swim cap at race site, picked up timing chip and went to body marking.
Event warmup:

The only real warmup was a short 1/2 mile jog with other team members. Legs felt good and we headed back to transition to put on wetsuits.
Swim
  • 19m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

It is tough to draft when you are one of the slow swimmers. It was tough to get the swim going due to the temperature of the water. However, after rounding the last turn bouy I actually passed some people. A swimmer from the wave behind me swam over me and kicked me as he went by. After that I was mad and made it to the dock MUCH faster than the first leg.
What would you do differently?:

My swim time was 6 minutes better than the same distance last year so no real complaints. I still rank near the back in the swim and just need to keep swimming and working on technique. It was my first open water wetsuit swim and I think I was tentative about letting it all hang out at first. I guess I need to get kicked in the head early in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Since I forgot my race belt I had to pin on my number. When I went to pull my Zoot top over my head after removing my wetsuit 3 of the 4 pins pulled through the paper. I had to re-pin all 3. My wetsuit really was not too bad to get off. I took 2 more endurolytes with a shot of HEED and ran out.

Remember the stupid race belt.
Bike
  • 47m 46s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I still am too conservative on the bike after a really bad cramping episode in my first tri. I tried to drink a double squirt of HEED every 10 minutes and it worked well.

Get on the big chainring sooner and hammer! I waited too long on the first lap and it cost me 3-4 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I was very pleased with T2 after the disaster at T1. I pretty much ran in, changed the shoes and hit the ground running.

Nothing. I could maybe have knocked off 15 secs.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Was faster than I thought. I felt good coming out of transition but had to slow down slightly after 1/4 mile. Never really felt bad or good but just settled into a zone. Took 2 waters out of the 4-5 available. Ran the last 1/4 mile EXTREMELY well and set a new HR max in the process - 189 bpm. The time was also the fastest by 20 sec 5K time I have ever officially recorded while on a race clock.

I am still learning that feeling not so great is not all that bad. What I mean is nobody feels wonderful at the end of a tri but I have alot more left than I think sometimes. I should have kicked sooner and I will not make that mistake again. I know I am a sprinter and should use it.
Post race
Warm down:

Hands on knees until my 3 year old got to me then walking around holding her hand.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. I should have gone faster sooner on the bike and gone to my kick sooner on the run. I realize a 1.5 hr time was within my reach had I just gone for it.

Event comments:

I highly recommend this race. Set-Up always does a great job and this was no exception. The lake is great and the bike and run course are easy to navigate. It can get a bit congested with 800 racers but deal with it.

Last updated: 2005-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:53 | 750 meters | 02m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 36/37
Overall: 0/800
Performance: Average
Actual swim time was 18:50 when I climbed out of the water. It took a minute to run to the timing mat.
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Course cannot be improved (other than warmer water!). The water is crystal clear with a white sand bottom.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:46 | 14 miles | 17.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/37
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was execllent and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:22 | 03.1 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/37
Performance: Good
Course: Paved subdivision streets.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-09 10:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: White Lake Sprint

2005-05-10 1:56 AM
in reply to: #155178

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint
hey there! saw your race report - i was there too! it was a great race - water was cold though!! (i didn't have a wetsuit...)
great job on the run!!
2005-05-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: #155235

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
you are the man if you swam without a wetsuit! I was really happy with the run. As I said, I should have started to push earlier on bike and run but hey, I had a blast and every race is a learning experience. Are you doing any more of the NCTS races? I am doing Surf and Turf this weekend then it is back home for the Wake Forest Excellence Tri on the 21st. I hope 2 weeks off will help me for Latta Plantation on 4 June. Are you going to do Mission Man? That one is fairly close to you.

Fred
2005-05-11 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Hi Fred,
The only other ones I'm planning on for this year are the Triangle tri, which is quite close to me, and then the Pinehurst olympic in October. It sounds like PInehurst will be a great first olympic-distance for me. Neither of those are on your schedule?
2005-05-11 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey Fred!  Great race man.  I'm still chuckling about your kicked in the head earlier comment.  I sure wish the water was warmer for you, but sounds like you had a great time out there.

Congrats on your finish and you new run split 5k PB!!! 

2005-05-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: #155986

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
I swear Jeff I do not know what it is but I HAVE to get mad. I can focus so clearly and it's like I am running on pure adrenaline. Some people do not understand I am incapable of playing for "fun". Tri's are the most fun thing since football but I still want to be competitive and finish well. As you may have noticed, I have plenty of room for improvement in that area!
You know, the water was not bad after the swim started. On Saturday at the Half alot of people were complaining about their feet being numb but I never had any problem. Of course, i was only in the water half the time too! Register for Wake!

Fred

2005-05-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #155975

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Maybe Pinehurst will be but right now I am shooting for Bandits Challenge. That is one tough race and if I finish that my year will be a success! Triangle is a Sunday tri and I have other commitments on Sunday I try to keep. White Lake will probably be the only Sunday tri for me this year. Lots of people on my tri team do Triangle every year so it must be a great race.

Fred
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Sprint Rss Feed