General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 1210/1769
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 160/216
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, toast with PB & J, Choc Chip Balance Bar,and, most important BONINE! (Yes - I get seasick bobbing in a wetsuit!)
Event warmup:

Walk to swim start - 150 yard swim warm-up
Swim
  • 50m 59s
  • 2310 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out very well with the swim - but as waves grew, struggled a bit. Actually had both legs cramp in the last 1/4 mile - thought about floating on my back to catch my breath, but was worried I'd be pulled from the water, so gutted it out.

Time was slower than I hoped, but better than I expected. Almost exact time as my first Olympic distance - so I guess that's some improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Training is the biggest thing. Swim is my Tri limiter - but I've improved significantly. Having said that, it gets the least attention in my training. To overcome that, I need to put in some longer distance swim workouts.
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

I made the decision prior to the race to be smart in Transition. I had to run through 3/4 of the bikes to get to mine - so there would be extra time in transition anyway. Developed a slight blister the week before - so decided to wear socks - good decision to have talc/baby powder in the socks and quickly on the feet. With wearing socks - had to put on shoes and run with those (glad to have Exustar cleats which are easy to run in)

Could save a little time - but with adding socks, didn't want to get pebbles and sand on them before putting on shoes. For a 1/2 - not bad.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Halfway through the bike - thought a sub 6 performance might be possible. Averaged 22 mph through about mile 35. Then the headwinds hit. The last stretch in - about 18 miles, was a stiff headwind all the way home.

Go faster in the first part so there was less headwind to deal with? Probably not doable. Biggest thing would be to watch my hydration a little more carefully.
Transition 2
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

As mentioned above - with blister, needed to wear socks - decided to switch socks in transition to make sure I had dry socks on. Used rest room real quickly - was a little worried about hydration after using rest room.

Followed my plan - so for this race, not much.
Run
  • 2h 15m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

With hydration info noted above, made the decision to walk through each fluid station to ensure I was getting enough in. Added a little time to my run, but felt it was worth it. As 2nd lap and fatigue approached, moved to repeating my mantra..."One step, two steps, three steps, go!" Over and over and over.

Biggest thing would be to ensure hydration was good off the bike - then I could have run through most fluid stations. Also - needed to do more transition runs in training, or bricks - to work on the bike to run legs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to car after wrapping up - rain had come in, and I was freezing! Back to hotel for a cold shower, then a little swimming in the pool, 5 minutes in the hot tub, then a hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biggest was probably the cramping in the swim - if that hadn't happened, I probably would have saved 5-10 minutes in the swim, and gotten to a better start on the bike. But - being the first half-distance I've done, I have knowledge of how to attack in the future.

Oh - and the headwinds didn't help!

Event comments:

Volunteers were excellent, including the police working the roads. Post race activities difficult to gauge, as a storm was coming in so they kind of had to rush. Pizza was great at the finish!

Last updated: 2009-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:59 | 2310 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 208/216
Overall: 1687/1769
Performance: Average
Suit: Full - Xterra
Course: Out about 50 feet - then follow the shoreline
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:07:56 | 56 miles | 17.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 184/216
Overall: 1369/1769
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loop through fruit farms of Michigan - some rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:15:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 160/216
Overall: 1210/1769
Course: 2 loop course around Whirlpool campus; 1 big hill to campus, then 1 good hill hit twice in loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes