United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 48s
Overall Rank = 50/160
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and had the standard cup O' Joe and a bowl of oatmeal and banana. Put the bike on the rack and headed over to the race, it was all of 2 miles away!
Event warmup:

Set up transition, did the port-a-potty thing and did a 450 yard warm-up swim in the pool.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The RD had told me the serpentine swim would go Left to Right, which I practiced, PERFECT for flip turning under the lane line, but it ended up being right to left which meant I had to open turn and then go under, cost me time! I was also supposed to be the 10th person in the water and ended up being the 4th which made me feel a little off balance. I was passed by some speedster who must have put in a wrong time, he supposedly started 3 lanes behind me and ended up 2 in front of me! I think his swim time was 5:30! Other than that, nice open water for me to swim... I was the 2nd woman overall in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Went out pretty hard the first 100. Start a little more relaxed and then build.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Good transition, bike was a straight shot right outside the pool exit. Got out fast, but had problems getting feet into pedals to get going...not sure what that was about.

Still need to practice, want to pick up some more free speed!! I think I may try the sockless thing...
Bike
  • 29m 8s
  • 9.2 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride, but legs felt pretty tired. I couldn't get my speed going... on the one good downhill that normally would be 23-24 mph I was only going about 19.5?? The wind was stronger than I would have hoped. I didn't pass anyone, 2 hot young guys passed me, and I basically felt like I was all by myself out on the road because I was one of the first swimmers in the water. I was the 4th woman overall in the bike.

More hill work, and just more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Felt like this was a pretty good transition, but would still like it to be faster.

Work on getting bike shoes off faster, maybe even taking them off on the bike and running in socks (or barefoot if I can handle that).
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the first tri that I ran the whole thing!! So yeah, it was slow, but overall 10:24 pace is pretty dang good for me! Took almost 2 miles before I felt normal, and was able to push it through the finish.

My goal is to really turn into a runner this winter! I want to get my run times down into the 9's for sure, I would LOVE to hit 8's! If I can get run times down, I will be really kicking @$$ in my AG.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to the girl that came in right before me... she had done CdA and we were talking about that. Got some water, walked my daughter back to her car since she couldn't stay for the award ceremony, and waited for another tri friend to come in and then we just hung out waiting for the awards. Had some water and a banana and a Power Bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Felt a little tired today, not sure I did a very good taper week, but I was happy with my run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 450 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 12/160
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Pool swim, up and back down the lane, go under the lane line, repeat till done.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:08 | 9.2 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 30/160
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Even though I had ridden this before it seemed a LOT hillier today! Some bumpy roads, some nice smooth roads, and one crossover where outgoing bikes going straight were supposed to yield to incoming bikes crossing their lane from the right.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:01 | 02.5 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 109/160
Performance: Average
Course: All on roads, and mostly in the sun and it was getting a bit steamy by this time. One loooooong gradual hill, which wasn't too bad since I run similar hills all the time in training.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-09 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Temple Triathlon

2009-08-10 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2336763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Temple Triathlon

way to go hilde. great race. great report. and GREAT RUN!! way to run the whole way...proud of you!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Temple Triathlon Rss Feed