General Discussion Race Reports! » Lehigh Valley Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lehigh Valley Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 57m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Again, Peanut butter on a bagel and some coffee. I haven't been feeling well the past few days. This morning I woke up feeling a little bit better but my stomach was a little upset. I do have a very sensitive stomach.
Event warmup:

No warmup. It was raining cats and dogs before the race. It stopped momentarily for the swim.
Swim
  • 40m 24s
  • 1600 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did not swim well today. I can't/don't expect much because I've been a slacker in my swim training. Simply getting out of the water is a win in my opinion. I haven't really begun to like the swim portion of the triathlons. I will try and work on being more consistent in my swim training.

I did get a cramp or ache in my thigh during the swim. I think I was kicking too much.

I came out of the water and my sister (her first spectating event) said hi. I looked at my watch and said "I have to pick it up on the bike."
What would you do differently?:

the only thing is train better, train more, practice my technique.

Everyone was kind of complaining about swim times being a little slow. Perhaps the course was a bit long.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I think I did the best I could here. I did have a small issue finding my bike which ate up some time in T1. I didn't spend any time scoping out the area because it was raining and I was cold.

Maybe run a bit faster in transition.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 33s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I rode well & strong. I was afraid I would take it really easy because it was raining and the surface was wet. I'm still not 100% comfortable on the tri bike and I thought today's conditions would make me ease up a bit. I don't believe it did. I rode somewhat strong -- I didn't feel like I pushed it too hard. My legs did feel a little weak overall today and I'm not sure why. It MAY be because I haven't been feeling well; however, I'm happy with the result

Not sure here. Like I said I felt I rode well. Of course, more training would make me better :-)
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I was a mess here, too. Not a good day for transitions. Got a little confused again with finding my area.

Pay attention. It's that simple.
Run
  • 54m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel too hot here but I think I ran well. I had a bit of a side stitch for the majority of the run but I was able to maintain it and prevent it from getting to the point where I had to stop. I'm glad I was able to do that. I felt like I was smart about it, though.

Every triathlon I get a sore on my ankle from the timing chip strap. It always hurts and always bleeds during the race. I don't care about the blood but I do care about the pain. A friend suggested that perhaps I'm putting it on too tight. I will put it on a little more loose for Timberman in 2 weeks.

Not much. Again, more training would make me a better runner.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza and walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think being sick has me a little weak today but otherwise a good taper may have helped.

Event comments:

This is a really good race and is run well. The race director is a nice caring guy and puts on a good show.

Last updated: 2009-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:24 | 1600 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Course was good. All left turns. Nice and calm out there today.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:33 | 24.6 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Overall: 142/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: This is a nice closed course. That is very nice. It starting raining pretty hard when I first got on the bike but it eased up. Lots of nice highway hills (I like to call them that). Not really the kind that make you get out of your seat but ones that you have to work hard in easy gears to get up, in my opinion.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:18 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: This was a two loop course, kind of. It was a nice run. The fact that it's two loops means you get to see lots of people.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-09 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Lehigh Valley Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lehigh Valley Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed