Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

gatorade, clif bar, go!
Swim
  • 1h 18m
  • 3500 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really nice swim area. It started out as pretty flat, and a large pack took off from the start. Mass start as the race fills up at 100 people, probably due to parking issues. 100 people spread out pretty far, so it was hard to catch a draft. Attempted a few times but the draftee did not swim straight. The turnaround was about a mile out, and there was a bit of gas in the water but not bad, especially compared to the Bay Swim. And after the turnaround, it got pretty wavey, but still not as bad as the Bay Swim. The waves might have made seasick-prone folks a bit nauseous. But it wasn't bad, and I was able to plow right through. I was only 2 weeks off from Lake Placid, so I didn't want to push it too much, but once I got closer to the finish I was able to push it and pull ahead of some folks who had plans on beating me up the chute. 1:18 seems slow for 2 miles. I don't think I swam poorly. Could be the water, or the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Hot dogs and hamburgers, yum!!!! Showers on site so I was able to shower immediately and change clothes. Nice family atmosphere for this race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't put on a wetsuit like a few of the people out there. Too warm, and this is just a fun race, nothing serious enough to care what time you came in.

Event comments:

I really liked this race. It was only the 2nd year of this race, and the first year was only 5 people, so it had the potential of being one of those disorganized inaugural races, with it being full at 100 people. But Tim Beatty did really well, and pulled it off. There's a real nice family atmosphere for this race, as the Beatty family are all here in memory of their beloved. I took this race to be just a "fun run" type of swim, and I think that is the way they want to run it. Just out there for fun. Some people wore wetsuits, but most did not. It was neither encouraged or discouraged, as it's just a fun swim. After the swim, you have showers available, and the Beatty family had a nice cookout and we all hung around as if part of the family. Highly recommended. Good to have a 2 mile swim nearby, and cheap at that. Benefits Pancreatic Cancer Research.

Last updated: 2009-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:00 | 3500 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/82
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Diamond-like. Head out along the shore from Rocky Point Beach, heading north, make the turn and head towards Hart Miller Island, and then back into the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-09 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Bud Beatty Memorial Swim

2009-08-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2337420

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: RE: Bud Beatty Memorial Swim
Great Job, and thanks for the Race Report. I hope to do this next year, our family vacations the past 2 years have been in conflict.

Thanks also for supporting PanCan. On October 11th there is a 5k run/2 mi walk at Oregon Ridge organized by my father-in-law called PurpleStride, Maryland. This has grown from our inaugural year of a hundred or so participants to 800 last year. We had to move it to a larger venue for 2009. It's very family friendly, like the Beatty swim.

Details are at http://www.pancan.org/Volunteer/md/index.html
2009-08-17 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2337420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Bud Beatty Memorial Swim

Thanks for the link, I will keep that race in mind.  It's fairly convenient except for the date since it's Baltimore Marathon weekend.  I wonder what I can do in a 5k the day after a marathon. :-)  Would be interesting for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bud Beatty Memorial Swim Rss Feed