General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safe Solo OWS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-10 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2337590

Subject: RE: Safe Solo OWS?
I do a solo OWS about once a week during the summer. But I do taken some precautions to reduce the risk.

1) I train in the pool all winter and spring to build up endurance as well as speed. By the time I am ready to do any OWS in late spring I can do at least 3x1000 yd intervals without stoppng except for a 30 sec rest . So I am confident in my endurance before doing my first OWS of the season.

2) I have a freind that lives on a small private lake has very limited access. So there is no danger of boaters or personal water craft running over me. I also swim around 6 am so I don't even have to worry about my friend being out.

3) I swim along the shore of the lake so I am never in more then 3-4 feet of water. It is about 1.5 miles to go all the way around the lake so I can get a long swim in and never get in deep water.

4) I always let my wife know where I am swimming and my friend knows my routine as well as my car. If I am gone too long they know where to look.

I have been doing this for the past three summers. I know there is some risk, but I consider it a lot less then riding my bike on the road either solo in a group. I accept these acceptable risks to do the trainiing for triathlons.

Edited by browncd 2009-08-10 4:10 PM

2009-08-10 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2339444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

gearboy - 2009-08-10 4:21 PM
PinkPrincess - 2009-08-10 10:57 AM I'm a weak swimmer too (total newbie), but what I do to reduce the risk since I don't have a pool membership is swim along the edge of the lake - it's at most 10 yards to shallow water the entire time and easy to get to if I get gassed.  I also drag the boyfriend along whenever possible.

Stop being modest - how weak can you be if you are dragging your boyfriend along while you swim?!?

Oh, wait, you mean....never mind....

What, you've never heard of resistance training?

Laughing

2009-08-10 7:40 PM

User image

Burlington, Wi
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I am going to do an OWS Wednesday and Friday with a boat beside me; however, I do like the noodle idea also.
2009-08-10 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2340076

User image

Veteran

Every time you go on the water, by boat, surfboard, windsurfer, etc. , or IN the water, file a "float plan".  Send a text, leave a voicemail, or message on a machine, or tell someone, 
specifically when you are going in the water, from where you are going, and when you are returning.  The person who gets the message should know you well enough to know your usual precision.  Does 15 minutes = "late"?  Does one hour = "late"?  Finally, upon getting back on land, either call or visit the person to complete the float plan.

My wife almost killed me when after I left a float plan, at the beach I decided instead of windsurfing (no wind), to go play golf and hang out for a beer afterward, and I didn't get home until a hour after dark, instead of 4pm.  She was just about to call the Coast Guard.  This was pre-cell phones.  I should have called from the golf club.

If you're doing a solo OWS, a float plan isn't really for you.  It's to help S&R find the body and save anyone who cares about you from hours, days, years of anquish while they're searching.  If you're on a boat, surfboard, windsurfer and become stranded, and are overdue returning and they start looking, they might find you alive. 

If, while swimming, you're hurt severly enough that you can't return to shore, it's unlikely they'll find you alive.  Maybe if you're wearing a wetsuit and float on your back and are blowing the whistle you wear around your neck.

I recommend against females doing solo OWS, unless there are many people on the beach, just as a caution against sexual assault.

Despite all these morbid thoughts, solo OWS is safer than the drive to the beach in a car in traffic.

2009-08-11 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Here's where my head is on this: Unless it's your local lake or ocean beach, where you swim OWS all the time, you probably should be buddy-swimming OWS. Another way to look at this is that if you have to ask "Do I need a buddy" then you need a buddy. I'm a pretty confident swimmer for a recreational triathlete.... ~28 minute Olympics and regularly >1 mile in a long pool without stopping .... and I surfed a lot growing up .... so I am pretty comfortable in the ocean .... but I went full freakin' mental two weeks ago during a solo OWS between Manhattan Beach Pier and Hermosa Pier in LA. Guards in the towers and all that, but I did not want to go out far enough to really get past the swells, so was past the breakers but still in the swells, and at the 600 yard point in my swim, I took a mouth full of salt-water from a rolling swell .... gargle gargle gasp gasp choke cough.... then I thought  "hmmmmm it's probably thirty feet deep right here" gargle cough cough.... then.... turned into to swim in .... "hmmmmm I bet there's a rip current and I am about to get pushed out to Catalina Island" (there wasn't, but your mind gets creative with a little salt water in the alveoli) .... yada yada yada I was sure glad to get the sand under my toes again. Just always keep in mind that you need to be prepared for worst, and  swimming along the edge of a lake or in a pool is a whole lot different than a deep water OWS where you are always at least ten (or maybe twenty) minutes from dry land.

OWS is fun!, but it is probably one of the most dangerous things us normal people (ie us who are not cops, FFers, EMT's or soldiers)  do .... so yep, get a buddy. From now on , in the ocean, I'm strappin' on a guard bouy, too.

I'm not trying to sound all drama, but be sure to check this recent post to get a little more perspective

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=174407&posts=29&start=1
2009-08-11 5:14 PM

Oklahoma City, OK
I went to a sporting goods store and bought a white float that boats use when docking to cushion the sides (I guess). It looks like a large tylenol, a little bigger than a loaf of bread. I tied a cord to its eyelet and the other end around my waist, with about 6-7 feet of slack. As you swim, you don't even realize you are towing it behind you. It floats along out of the way, but if you have trouble you can grab it and hold it in your arms. It will hold you up easily; either for a quick breather, or if you had a problem. Plus, it provides added visibility while you swim. I use it anytime I'm OWS without my wetsuit as I still have moments of fear/panic, even with a group. I don't depend on anyone helping me. The funny thing is I've never even touched it after many OWS, but I sure feel better knowing it's there!

Edited by Sooner Tri Guy 2009-08-11 5:16 PM

2009-08-11 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I'll echo the others on here, get stronger at swimming before considering an OWS solo swim.  Second - I got the swim aid that is advetised on this site.  It provides nice peace of mind for me, and more importantly for my wife.  It is not noticeable at all when you are swimming. 

2009-08-11 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2340336

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

AtlantaBill - 2009-08-10 7:39 PM

I recommend against females doing solo OWS, unless there are many people on the beach, just as a caution against sexual assault.

By that logic, biking and running alone would probably be even more dangerous, since a would-be assaulter is most likely going to be trolling the streets for prey rather than looking for a lone female swimmer at the beach.

Edited by froglegs 2009-08-11 11:27 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safe Solo OWS? Rss Feed  

of 2