General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Finest City Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

America's Finest City Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Neil Finn Sports Management, Inc.
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 28s
Overall Rank = 2799/7090
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 77/323
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45, quick shower, dress, tea made pack car, make flat out with PB/J and banana and some granola. Got about a mile away and realized I forgot my ipod -- went back for it. Got stuck in a long line of traffic for 20-25 minutes, then the line for the bus for another 10-15, then the porta potty line for 15-20. Glad there was a chip time so left about 15 minutes after the first starters.
Event warmup:

Standing in lines and stretching and looking for BT friend Ronen -- no luck!
Run
  • 2h 04m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure how I was going to feel. I hadn't run more than 4 1/2 miles since the HIM on August 1st. Various leg muscles have been letting their presence be known lately, so wasn't sure how they'd feel. Started pretty strong and since I started in the back passed a lot of people and had to find a path around them. Middle miles were strong and steady. Kept looking for Ronen when we were passing other runners going the other way near the airport -- nada. Darn! Then alongside the bay and up the hill to Balboa Park. Never once walked, are you kidding? Ate my cliff blocks and didn't eat the powerbal gel. Drank my cytomax and some water at a couple of aid stations. Really just listened to the body and didn't want to injure or aggravate anything that was already cranky. Wore the IT band strap as a precaution and glad I did. Didn't have any problems at all with the IT band. I think my body wasn't so ready to run, but not bad time considering I did this one in 2:17 last year and really wanted 2:10, whereas this year I'm at 2:04 and had quite a nice kick and picked up my pace the last 3 miles. I feel like a runner. I am a runner now.
What would you do differently?:

?? Maybe have rested more yesterday and not ridden or swim, but hey, it felt good. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, changed shirts and got some water and a banana. Borrowed a girl's phone to call DH so we could find each other.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't push real hard down the hills to protect my leggies.

Event comments:

This is a nice race and pretty views and nice neighborhoods to run through in the beginning. Didn't get a super friendly vibe though. I think sometimes triathlons have more "team spirit" energy going on. Maybe it's just me. Good volunteer support and water stations and post-race bananas. There was some food but not into it. Got some samples of brown rice though.

Last updated: 2009-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/323
Overall: 2799/7090
Performance: Average
My Garmin showed 13.24 miles fwiw.
Course: Downhill, then a few rollers, then down, down for about 4 miles into airport area, then flat for 3 - 5 miles (approx.) then uphill for about 2, then flat and a bit down into race finish in Balboa Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-16 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: America's Finest City Half Marathon

2009-08-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2352063

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: America's Finest City Half Marathon
Nice job out there. Way to pace yourself and perform well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Finest City Half Marathon Rss Feed