Greenville, South Carolina
United States
Setup, Inc
Total Time = 1h 44m 26s
Overall Rank = 325/345
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 23/27
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:20, breakfast, shower, scoop the litter box, get dressed, mostly in that order. Load up the car and drive to the site. Nothing all that exciting.
Event warmup:

Sat around and waited for my swim start.
Swim
  • 09m 31s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Up in one lane, back in the next. There were lots of big clusters of people all throughout the pool. Luckily I only hit 1, unfortunately is was in my 2nd lap, and I had to push pretty hard to get by it. That got me out of my rhythm and for the next couple laps I was much slower than I wanted to be while I got back into the groove. Once I did get past the bunch, I was all alone for at least 100 more yards. I did manage to pass a couple people right at the end as there was a half lane roped off on the outside near the ladder that nobody was in, so I went in that lane and just tried to sprint the last 30-40 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the pool more, drop 70 pounds, turn into Kevin Costner from Waterworld.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Long run for me to my rack, which was ok, as it meant a short run in my shoes. I'm not disappointed with this time, since I'm just not a fast runner.

Star Trek teleporter?
Bike
  • 57m 16s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.72 mile/hr
Comments:

This was only the 3rd time on my new bike, and my longest ride to date as well. That being said, I got in my pedals easily, and had some stretches where I actually felt fast.

I went back and forth with one of the Athena racers probably 5 times, where I would pass her, then she'd pass me. Near the end, she was coming back up on me and I heard her say "Are you going to let me pass you again?" So I said "Not this time, I guess." Then I just worked up to my biggest gear, and pushed as hard as I could for the last mile or two. As I was leaving T2 for the run, she came in and said "I was just teasing you, you know." So we both had a laugh and I went off for my overly sad run.

Ride way more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

My legs felt terrible. I did some weird "I've been texting Tony way too long and now both legs are asleep" strut for the first little bit. I also took a bit of time to have a bit of water, and a gel.

Ride more, run more.
Run
  • 33m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran like someone who isn't a good runner. Which is appropriate, because I'm not a good runner. I walked way too much, but my legs just didn't want to go. The 2nd lap was better, and I only walked 2 times. The 2nd walk on the 2nd lap was when I tried to keep up with someone that passed me, and both of my quads started to cramp. So I eased off for about 10 yards, then got back to my plodding.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Took my shoes off and walked around in the grass talking to fellow BTer, and 2nd place Athena, Nancy. She rocked, and got a bottle of wine for 2nd place! Then I had a cookie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being fat and out of shape. My training sucked out in the last few weeks with being on vacation, and before that having been smashed in the river during a white water rafting trip that made running not very possible with a nasty gouge out of my foot. Now that I'm mostly back together, I should hopefully be able to get back to work.

Event comments:

I had a good time, and it was a fun and challenging course. Hopefully I'll be doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2009-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:31 | 437 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/27
Overall: 266/345
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake swim in 50meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:16 | 15 miles | 15.72 mile/hr
Overall: 324/345
Wind: Little
Course: For me, pretty hilly. For more experienced riders, not too bad I bed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:23 | 03.11 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 322/345
Performance: Below average
Course: Relatively flat, some very slight inclines, with the exception of a short trail segment that had a short but relatively (for the course) steep section. This was a 2 lap course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 7:31 AM

User image

On your right
Subject: Greenville Triathlon

2009-08-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2352504

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Subject: RE: Greenville Triathlon
Congrats on the race and toughing it out with the conditions you encountered.  Sounds like you had some training trouble in the last couple weeks or months leading up to your race.  Keep up the hard work and your times will improve.

Kevin
2009-08-17 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Nice race man.  You had a lot to deal with - bunches of people in the pool, a new bike, trashing talking with other riders .  For "not being a runner" I thought you did a great job on the run, especially for only being your third real race ever.  Congrats.  Keep up the good work.
2009-08-17 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a runner! HMMMPH! I think otherwise!!! just keep doing what your doing and soon you will love to run! NICE RACE CHAD!!!

2009-08-17 12:16 PM

User image

On your right
Oh, I don't not love running, I just wish I were better at it.  I'm not displeased with my results at all, but I do want to be faster.  That will just come with training and weight loss.  Only being into tris since mid to late February, and coming off the couch, I know there is a long way to go, and that I'll just be building a base for a lot longer.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenville Triathlon Rss Feed