General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
JMC Partners
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 18s
Overall Rank = 193/640
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/34
Pre-race routine:

As of two weeks ago, I hadn't planned on doing this race, but my sister wanted to do this race and asked me if I would do it with her. I had done this race 2 years ago and enjoyed it, so OK why not.

I spent the night at my mom's which is 5 minutes from my sister's house. (She has 4 kids so it's much easier and quieter to be at my mom's) Staying there also knocks 40 minutes off the drive for me. My sister, who is notorious for being late, was only 10 minutes late in picking me up.
Event warmup:

This race has only remote parking on race day. You are then bussed to the race venue. We arrived later than planned only to see a VERY LONG LINE waiting for the bus. We waited and waited and waited. I think there were only 2 buses running. Plus, we missed getting on one because a spectator and his dog were in front of us in line and got the last seat. They did announce that transition would be staying open a bit longer due to the delay with the buses, but it was still very stressful. Arrived in transition at 6:05. Realized I had forgotten my pump in the car, didn't have time anyway. Fortunately, I had pumped the tires the day before, so hopefully they would be OK. Set up transition, grabbed my wet suit, goggles and cap. ARGG! the line for the porty potties went on forever! Decided the use the bushes across the street (as did many others).
So, my hear rate was elevated for a while. Does that count as a warm-up.
Swim
  • 28m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was pleased with my swim. I think I'm finally over the "freak ou"t of my triathlon swims. I swam evenly, calmly. Although I did go a bit off course on the far straight away. There was only the far corner bouy to sight on. So I veered off to the left. Hey, where is everybody? Had to swim on an angle to get back.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Pretty good transition for me. Could have been a bit faster with getting the bike shoes on.

Keep working on being more streamlined.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was killer. Of course when it was a tail wind, WOOHOO. Then, turn the corner into the wind and BAM, like putting on the brakes.

Not much. Practice riding in strong winds?
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

BIG MISTAKE HERE. I went to turn down the first lane, and for some reason my brain said, no not here, next area. So I verve back and run to the next area. Half way down I realize I was right the first time and I'm heading down the area for the sprint racers. I now have to make my way back to the oly area with means I run up and over a grassy area. Fortunately my spot was on an end. But I lost time. This will prove to be of consequence.

Pay attention to where my spot is.
Run
  • 50m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

When I checked my watch as I ran out of transition I was shocked. I had a time in my head that I wanted to make, based on my time from two years ago. I had a chance to finish ever better than I had anticipated. It was pretty hot by the time we were running, although it was getting overcast, so that helped a tiny bit. I was able to maintain a good pace through out. As I passed mile 5 I was really excited I was on track for a PR in my run. As I passed the mile 6 marker I hauled a$$ into the finish.

Nothing. Great run!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and went into the lake to cool down. Felt great. Met up with my husband, sister and her family. I knew I had done well in my age group, so we decided to wait for the awards, just in case. And......
I placed third! But, here's the kicker. Remember the screw-up in T2? Well, only 5 seconds separated the top 3 places in my age group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am very pleased with my performance. I have placed in smaller local sprints, but never an OLY with this many people. It was very cool. Of course there's those 5 seconds I will always think about. Swimming off course, T2 mistake....oh well. Part of the learning and the experience. A great day and a great race.

Event comments:

Just a few complaints. Needed more buses to accommodate the number of people. Also needed way more porta potties. Overall, a nice race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/34
Overall: 0/640
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Full sleeve
Course: Big Triangle out in a small lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:42 | 24.85 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/34
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two loop course, which by the second loop was shared with the sprint races. Involved a hair pin turn around with a merge into bike traffic. Womon in front of me almost took out someone when she merged without lookin.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:25 | 06.21 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/34
Course: Winding around, on streets, around lake, but flat. They had to change the course due to construction.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

2009-08-17 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2353123

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race
Hey great race! I too was on the last bus in ... but thankfully we made it before the start! Way to go out there battling the wind and the heat. Good times.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed