General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 59s
Overall Rank = 207/629
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket TRILOGY #3

This Race is other great Event organized for the well known people of

Photobucket

This Event is part of the famous Mack Cycle Triathlon Trilogy Series...the most tough, fast and competitive Sprints in South Florida and took place in Key Biscayne, Florida...

But...again...like in the Trilogy #2...It took place at the Miami Marina Stadium...instead Crandon Park...for an emergency repair of the Bear Cut Bridge...and...the Bike Course had to be shortened from 10 to 8 miles...

It hold a Triathlon with 629 participants...and...a Duathlon at the same time with 100 participants...

Friday Aug. 14th:

At noon time...before to pick-up our Race Packages...We went to get some leftover of carpets from the store "Carpet World" close to our house that were donated to MultiRace to be used in the Race and from there We took them to the Miami Marine Stadium in Key Biscayne and headed to the bike store "Mack Cycle" in Miami to pick-up our Race Packages...

My Buddy got the Bid #235 / gold fish cap...and...me...the Bid #236 / green fish cap... A very new different, unique and Cool Caps with fins at the top and back...LOL

Trilogy #3

Then We went for Carbo load to our favorite Italian Restaurant "Di Napoli"...My Buddy ordered his usual Seafood Pasta and for me Raviolis with Mushrooms...a garden salads for both...and...unsweet ice tea...Yummmmmy!!! Also We ordered like usual a big Pizza to take with us for next day...

Saturday July 18th:

Woke-up late...around 8:00 am...Nice...!!!
Took a full breaksfast: OJ, toasted bagels with cream cheese, slice of turkey and salame, and brie on top, eggs, and coffee w/milk...and...off course our usual package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q10...

Wiped/lubed/tuned my Bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...put Bid#s on my bike, helmet and belt...and...prepared/packed my Race stuff...

Took luch at noon time...Pizza...and...took an 1 hour nap from 2:00 to 3:00 pm.

Prepared all my beverages for the Race...placed them into the fridge/refrigerator...

Loaded bikes and Transition Bags into the car and got early dinner: grilled salmon and steams veggies...Yummmmy!!!

Went to bed at 9:00 pm....ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sunday July 19th:

Woke-up at 4:15 am...Got dressed...Took our usual Pre-Race Beakfast: OJ and my Super Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and for my Buddy...waffle with PB and his coffee...and our usual packages of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine, and CO-Q 10...

Did our own body-marked...to save time...

Took our coolers with beverages and left from home around 5:00 am...It took us 45 minutes to get at Key Biscayne...parked the car...took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed to pick-up our timming chips...and..went to Transition Area...

Placed my bike in my rack area and set-up my Race stuff like usual:
Helmet over seat, sunglasess over handlebar and Speedfil Hydration System in its cage...

Put a green towel in front of the bike...my bike was the last one in the rack...biking/running shoes over the green towel, my belt with Bid# and a small ziploc with 2 Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped next to the running shoes and a bottle with frozen water...

Here you can have a view of Transition Area:

Trilogy #3
Trilogy #3

Checked Exit/Entrance in Trasnsition and went to say hi to my friends Angelo and Julie Carson...They were very close to us...

Went back to my rack arae...relaxed over my cooler...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of the Race...took 1 Accel Gel and 2 Endurolytes with water/Amino Vita (lime)...

Took my goggles, swim cap, wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swim Area...

Event warmup:

Some arms and legs stretchings and jumped into the water...the water temp. was nice...it was fresh cuz the heavy storm we had the day before teh Race...swam maybe 150 mts and came back to shore...

Just outside...We could feel how windy was...strong winds coming from NEE...

And met with my Buddy, our friend Angelo and my girlfriend Julie Carson...chatted with them waiting till the Race started...like usual in time...at 6:58 am:

The 1st Wave: Pro-Elite (Male and Female) and Physical Challenged...and...after 2 minutes...the Duathlon in Mass...and the rest of the Waves...every 5 minutes...there were 9 Waves...My Buddy was in the Wave #4 (Male 40-44, Male 55+) at 7:10 am and me in the Wave# 7 (Female 35+) at 7:20...different this time...it's usually Female 40+, Athenas, Female Fat Tire and Relays...they didn't included them...but...they included the AG 35-39...and...OMG...very agresive women...LOL
Swim
  • 08m 44s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Here is the Swim Course:

Swim Course Trilogy #3

When the Organizers gave us green light...I took off without any problem on my the first 50 mts...We were swimming against a strong current coming from NE and the winds made small waves splashing against our face every time I wanted to check where the 1st bouy was....and...suddenly...I started to feel arms and bodys almost over my legs and my back...and...they not only smacked me...they grabbed my ankles too in many occasion...I believed I would lose both timming chips straps...I was losing them...and...I started to kick very hard...SORRY if I kicked somebody...but...Is me or You...LOL

When finally I got in the 1st bouy...rounded...I felt the current pushing us...it was nice...and...finally...I started to swim with a constante stroke without incidents...

Got in the 2nd bouy...rounded...and...swimming the last 150 mts...heading to the Swim Exit...but...with cross currents pushing us out our path...uffff!!!

Just when my fingers touched shore...I got up...and...ran as fast I could till the Swim Exit mats...removing at the same time goggles, swim cap and wax ear-plus and putting inside my cap...

Just when I passed the Swim Exit mats...I clicked in my watch and the time was 8m05s...They included the running from this point till the Entrance of Transition in our Swimming Time...btw...It was a long run...all along the east side of Transition...

Here a beatiful view from the beach where the Swim Course took place at the Miami Marine Stadium:

Miami Marine Stadium Trilogy#3
What would you do differently?:

Very happy with my swimming even the incidents on my first 150 mts...
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Another usual fast transition even I was 2nd fastest in my AG and 144th Overall of 629 participants...
The ground was rocky in some places and it was not really nice to run all way to my rack area...but...just there...put helmet, sunglasses and biking shoes very fast...took bike...and...ran fast out of Transition Area...

practice and practice...
I know I could do it in less...but...under the circunstances...I'm happy!!!
Bike
  • 26m 18s
  • 8 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Here the Bike Course:

Photobucket

I knew that the bike would be great going to the beast "Rickenbacker Bridge"...tailwinds/crosswinds...got at the top without problem...fast...went downbridge getting max speed in 40 mph...but...
just when I got in the U-turn...I knew that I would have to fight against the headwinds/crosswinds....Uffffff....the second climb was a little more challenging...but...got at the top without problem...the 2nd downbridge was a little more slowly cuz the winds...no more than 37 mph...but...all the excitment finished just when were down...but...still I was trying to keep a good average even the circunstances...

By this point I knew that I have 5 women in my AG in front of me...and...I need to push more...heading to Virginia Key...here...I can feel the strong crosswinds coming from east...and...headwinds coming from north...but...I kept it...till the U-turn...and...what a realiefe....tailwinds...even...the crosswinds...but...helped us a lot...and...off course...took advantage...and...push more and more...passing a lot of people....till the desmount area at Transition Area...doing my desmount like usual...like the Pro/Elites...but...keeping my shoes on...jumped off my bike...and ran to Transition....
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Other fast transition...even...I was the 3rd fastest in my AG....and...145th Overall of 629 participants...not bad!!!

Got in my rack area...changed shoes very fast..removed helmet...took my hat and bottle of water...and...ran very fast out of Transition Area...

practice and practice...
Run
  • 25m 55s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is the Run Course:

Photobucket

Just out of Transition Area...running with a constante pace...not too fast and not too slow...I put my hat, my belt with Bid# and took the 2 Endurolytes with enough water...tossed some over my head, neck and shoulders...and...put my bottle in my rear pocket of my Tri-suit...

The first 1/4 mile...it's over soft and compact sand...but...there are some section with huges cracks that you have to watch your steps if you don't want to fall....then start the paved trail...very nice...smooth, wide and shady...but...just after 200 mts. the buttons from my belt poped off...and...my Bid# did fall...and...I said to me..."No Way...don't stop for that...when you come back...get it"...LOL

I started to push more and more...passing a lot of people...and...I knew that I'm very close to my friend Julie Carson...my first target...I could see her from far...till I reached/passed her...just before the mile 1...then...got in the water station...got 2 cups of water...drank some and tossed the rest over me...without stopping...keeping a good pace..

From this point...start the dirty trail...and...it's narrow too...and...more difficult to pass the people cuz there are people coming in opposite direction...At this point...I saw my girlfriend Marylou coming....and...when I was approching to the U-turn...saw coming Mandy Miller and later behind Amy Mangialetto...and...I knew that I'm in 3rd or 4th place...and...I started to push very hard...passing a lot of people...and...

Just after the water station...I reached a good girlfriend Claire Paris...she is the fastetst in the AG 50-54...and...it was so funny...cuz...I only said "hi" to her and I wanted to run with her...and...when she saw me...she said "Holy S*#%t...she is here again" and she took off like she saw a ghost...LOL...and...I started to yelled her..."But I'm not in your AG...wait for me...!!!" LOL...I couldn't reach her again...but...kept me in a very fast pace...and...just before the paved trail finish...I saw my Bid# and had the chance to take it from the ground and continued with my run...passing the Finish Line just behind her for only 7 seconds...I'm sure I was a great help for her...LOL

After the Race We were joking about this funny incident...and...what really happened...it's that I beat her in the Trilogy #2 and this one was her reaction...LOL

train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other took the 2 timming chips from my ankles...and...my friend Claire came to me to congratulate me...LOL

Saw Amy and Mandy and I congratulated them...and...the same with my friend Marylou...

Went to the food area and took some slices of orange...meet with my Buddy...and...went to Transition Area to collect/pack all our Race Stuff...and...took them with our bikes to the car...not too far...our car was in the parking lot next to Transition...nice!!!

Then We went to check our results...by my surprise...I got 3rd place in my AG 45-49...Yes!!!
Well...not surprise at all...I only was not sure about my friend Marylou place...but...

She got 3rd Female Overall...Good Job Marylou...!!! Mandy Miller and Amy Mangialetto took 1st and 2nd and me 3rd in our AG....but...

I know that I have a strong competition in my AG with this women...but...very proud of me...cuz...I'm always there...top 5...Yes!!!

Got 3rd place AG 45-49

24th Female Overall / 165 Women

207th Overall / 629 participants

Total Time: 1h 02m 59s

New PR: 1m03s

My Buddy got 10th of 20 in his AG 55-59...Good Job Babu...!!!...He has not have the chance to train properly...too much work...lack of sleep...he only trains the Sundays...and...still...he is there...placing not too bad...LOL

Here in the Award Ceremony:

Trilogy #3

And the Award:

Award Trilogy #3

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The strong winds in the Bike Course...I know I can do a better performance in my bike cuz I did it in the Trilogy #2...

Event comments:

Excellent Event like usual....very well organized...tons of volunteers...plain water stations...and..food.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:44 | 400 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 338/629
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:18 | 08 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 291/629
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:55 | 03.25 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 166/629
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-18 1:21 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #3

2009-08-19 5:25 AM
in reply to: #2356069

User image

Key West
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #3

Velo, you set the bar for post race reports.  Great job on the report AND the race.  Keep up the training as I may not be able to see you until Miami Man (and you have to do the long one). 

P.S., bring the fish cap for good luck.

2009-08-19 12:12 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Leonora, way to go!  I love the cap and your detailed race report and photos are excellent.  Major congrats on the PR.   I don't know how you do it, but you're amazing!
2009-08-20 9:21 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

I think the Swimming Caps were a blast and Cool...and...I'm sure many people improved their times cuz the fins...LOL

2009-08-20 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Great Race Velo...looking forward to our grudge match at tradewinds next week..LOL
2009-08-25 9:18 PM

User image

Miami,FL
So velo had a kick race, whats new? lol Congrats!

Hopefully i'll see you during the bonus race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #3 Rss Feed