Cyclesmith
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 29s
Overall Rank = 2/5
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Easy day after a week of putting in flooring :)
Event warmup:

Rode to the TT; about 10km with some race efforts.
Bike
  • 33m 29s
  • 20 kms
  • 35.84 km/hr
Comments:

Figured I would get out for a hard ride this evening; plan was to try to drop under 23:30 for a new PB on the course. It was really hot all day and still fairly warm in the evening with a little wind on the ride over so I didn't know how it was going to go. We were starting at two minute intervals this time and Andrew was starting four minutes back so my focus was to hold him off as long as possible.

I had a really good start on the downhill and was really moving through the first 1/3 of the out and back. As usual, the first uphill really sapped my legs and it took a while to get back into a groove but then it was the short climb followed by another fast section and I settled back into my pace quickly. I hit the turnaround about a minute back of the guy who started two minutes up and split right around 16:30. Since the return leg has more climbing I knew that it would be close as to whether I could slip under 23:30 or not. Coming back from the turn I saw Andrew was about two minutes back so my focus became holding him off to the finish. I stayed aero except on a couple of the climbs and focused on keeping the effort level high (and tyring to catch the guy in front). I never reeled him in but managed to hold Andrew off as I pushed up the final hill and managed (just) to get under 23:30.
What would you do differently?:

I think for the last one I am going to go with all the aero goodies (deep front, disc back, different bottle config and maybe shoe covers).
Post race
Warm down:

Rode home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

Fun event as always; nothing fancy but great to puch against some of the other athletes.

Last updated: 2009-08-21 12:00 AM
Biking
00:33:29 | 20 kms | 35.84 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/5
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 20km out and back; downhill to start, lots of rollers after that.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right