Tri Peachtree City
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 19s
Overall Rank = 860/952
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 75/84
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the crack of stupid and drove down from Alpharetta. I had a motel room but I felt bad all day on Friday and didn't want to sit in traffic for 2 hours just to sleep an extra hour on Saturday morning. Had my PB&J and a banana in the car and a diet coke for some caffeine. Arrived and got my packet, marked and used the bathroom before entering transition. For as many people as they had, it was not crowded in my area of transition but I can't speak for everyone. Checked out my path from swim to my bike and it was an easy spot to find and figured out the fastest path to the run exit.
Event warmup:

Did some dynamic stretching and even got in the water to swim for a minute or two until the loudest person in the world started yelling for people to exit. Followed the herd to the swim start and waited until the 500's were ready to go. Lots of nice people in line with me and had people to talk with while we waited.
Swim
  • 12m 1s
  • 483 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

This year was 1:14 faster than last year. I was very happy with that outcome.
What would you do differently?:

Overall pleased with the race. I would love to do more open water swims next year but I swim in the pool quite often.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

I chose to skip socks but put my shoes on in T1 rather than at the bike mount. My glasses fogged up very quickly so I had to take them off and couldn't even use them in the ride.

Run even faster from the swim exit to my bike.
Bike
  • 46m 45s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so eager to see what my bike leg would be like. After getting severe pains in my feet on some training rides, I decided to make a lot of changes. First, I got some new shoes and upgraded my pedals. Unfortunately, that didn't help it at all. Next, I met with Curtis and did a bike fitting and made many significant changes. That helped with my toes but I wasn't able to get into my drops due to the angle of the seat. I then put a new set of tires on the bike based on Curtis' recommendation. Then Thursday night I made a nose adjustment on my seat. Suddenly it all seemed to click. I know my avg speed wasn't actually 18 mph but everyone got the benefit of the slightly shorter distance. Last year's time was 50:37 and an avg speed of 15.6 MPH so this was quite an improvement.

There is still a major slow down when I hit a steeper hill. I don't climb well at this weight but I am definitely better than last year or even earlier this year. I would also like to get more aero by being in the drops more often.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Here is where I gave away some time. I had my sunglasses fall off as I got to my rack and had to go back and grab them. As I did that, one of my shoes fell off my bike. Between that and having to sit down and put my socks and shoes on, I gave away about a minute. I could have broken 1:45 with a great T2 and a little improvement in T1.

Go back to Yankz and try running without socks again. I just had one bad experience and now I am afraid to try it again. I'll do it next race or next spring for sure.
Run
  • 42m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I was disappointed that I didn't meet my goal here but I did beat last year by 1:24. I should have been able to be around 40 minutes easy. I did actually beat some other clydes this year and 9 guys in other age groups.

Spend more time on run fitness! I just not able to run as much outside as I want to. I also need to learn how to continue to run when my mind is telling me I should stop and recover or rest. My HR is not so high that I am needing to recover but my legs are telling me to stop and walk.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the area with the fluid and even got some pizza. Last year I finished late enough that they were out of pizza. I don't know if 6 minutes faster really helped with that or if they order more food but it was nice. Got some pictures with fellow club members.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run fitness is the only place that I am not really improving drastically. It's better but not on pace with the swim or the bike.

Event comments:

I did have one negative with this year's race. I found out that I received a 2:00 penalty for improperly disposing a water cup on the run course. Since I generally take one or two sips and dump the rest on my head, I don't see how I could have disposed of it out of the zone. I am glad to accept a penalty when I have done something wrong or sketchy but when it is as lame as this I don't feel it is justified. Katie June lost 1st overall female by 5 seconds to someone that was drafting throughout the race but never caught but I'm nailed for littering. I even still had my top to the gel I ate on the bike in my bento box. Needless to say, I don't blame anyone on this random accessing of a penalty but I also don't feel the need to include it in my time for this report!

Last updated: 2009-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:01 | 483 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 51/84
Overall: 0/952
Performance: Average
This was much better than last year because of the lack of debris in the water. I didn't really collide with many people either. My sighting was much improved and I also got to do my new style of turns on the buoys. The swim clinic at Lake Lanier with the Sports Factory really helped a lot!
Suit: None
Course: Time trial start and out to a buoy, right turn to another buoy and then turn for home. It said 500 yards but 12 minutes felt more like 500 meters.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:45 | 13.5 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 63/84
Performance: Good
Average HR was 155 and was very high when I got on the bike. It settled in about mile 4. My max HR was 167 and was probably early in the ride. I did let my HR settle down in the last mile to set up a good run and got of my shoes for the coast to the dismount line.
Wind: None
Course: Gentle rolling hills but nothing like the Roswell ride. It was probably easier than West Point too. Very smooth and well monitored.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:42:50 | 03.11 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 81/84
Performance: Below average
I had great control of my HR on this race but it may have been due to me stopping and walking a few times. Avg HR was 157 (only 2 higher than my bike leg) and my Max was 173 at the very end when I went for broke. My speeds during the mile declined from my first mile. 1st mile was 13:31, 2nd mile was 13:59, and 3rd mile was 14:23. The last .1 mile was uphill but I still churned out a 12:26 pace. Too bad it started too late.
Course: Nice shaded path to run on with an occasional rolling hill that made me walk some times. Water was adequate but that is another story.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-22 11:37 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

2009-08-23 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2364598

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

Great year over year improvement.  Your run may have been less than you wanted, but more than likely you paid a little for your excellent swim and bike.  Since they all improved, I think you have to say it was a perfect day!

On drafting, I was a little frustrated a few times.  I would look down the road and see a cluster of 6 or 7 and wonder if the officials were going to get there in time.  Frankly, I think there should have been more handed out.  2 min. for dropping a cup is a little harsh, but does not sound like you let it lessen the day.

2009-08-23 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Acworth
Good job,  we must have just passed each other on the run seconds before you committed that heinous crime.  I had trouble staying away from people on the bike who were traveling at the same speed, each time I had to dig in to pass or lay back for fear of a drafting penalty, I had no idea that littering was a penalty!
2009-08-23 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Which water point did they give you the penalty?  On the 2nd and 3rd there were plenty of cups just laying on the ground.
2009-08-23 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
We must have been super close together. I started in the back of the 400 group and I finished overall in 1:36:26. Out times were very similar.

Sorry to hear about the penalty. I too say tons and tons of penalty worthy actions on the bike course. I saw plenty of officials on motorcycles but it never failed as soon as they would pass, I would see something.

Great Race!!!
2009-08-23 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

Great race, 6 minute improvement with some in all 3 segments and got pizza!  What could be better (that pizza was good too)

I've never heard of a penatly on the run course, especially near a water station. Wow, that's a new one to me.  That is a great heads-up for future reference. 
You didn't have anyone to collide with on the swim cause I was doing all that.  My swim felt like a continual wave start for 500+ yards (the #200-300 group).  Knowing me though, I was probably running into the same guy over and over.

2009-08-24 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2365406

User image

Regular
I don't remember but they said I wasn't in sight of the water station when I discarded it at the bridge.  All I ever do is take 1 or 2 drinks and pour the rest on my head. Lesson learned I guess.
2009-08-24 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
The got you for a rule 3.4h abbandoned equipment violation
2009-08-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2366194

User image

Regular
I know what the rule is. I also know that I took two drinks and poured it on my head. I run 4.5 MPH and it would have taken me 45 seconds to run out of the sight of the water zone. How did I not drop it within that area? As I said before, it was a good learning experience and it didn't keep me from finishing on the podium but it was also a pretty petty offense considering all of the drafting and improper passing going on with 1000+ bikers on the course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City Sprint Rss Feed