Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 30s
Overall Rank = 240/293
Age Group = Women 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, grab everything I need, remember to take clean socks out of dryer, make Gatorade, have breakfast, brush teeth and pack the car. I love that the pre-race routine is getting mechanical and automatic. There is less worrying involved. :)
Event warmup:

Do I ever have a warm-up? Honestly, I was still trying to figure out how many loops I had to do for each part of the course about 10 minutes before it started. I signed up for this race with no intention of actually racing it; instead, my goal was to simply attend, have fun, and remind myself why I do triathlon in the first place! I was gone for 6 weeks in Peru, living in the Amazon rainforest... and if you don't have a existential life crisis there, then your accommodations are too posh. We did NOT have posh accommodations, us researchers. So, I came back from Peru with drastically reduced athletic ability (other than walking, shit I can walk for days non stop) and no drive to train. Bad sign. So I signed up for a race as quickly as possible...
Swim
  • 16m 52s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

What to say? This was a race in which I hadn't trained for 7 weeks. I was here to have fun, and I did. Up until the gun was shot to start, I was chatting with someone I recognized from a yoga class once. While swimming, I was contemplating how clear the water was, how warm and pleasant it was, how sunny the day was and how beautiful the sky was. I obviously realized that I wasn't going to break any personal records, so I just had fun.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe draft off someone a bit faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was pretty simple. No wetsuit, so everything else went smoothly. When getting onto my bike, I swerved a little bit too much and lost some time, but I was just impressed that I remembered what a bike was, let alone not fall off it!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 49m 32s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.23 km/hr
Comments:

I'm just amazed that there were ~20 people that were slower than me. I sucked at biking before I left, when I did the HIM, and obviously now I suck more. Thankfully, I plan on getting better and better over the course of the next 1.5 years so that I will KILL my first Ironman. This was a good bike course, although the cornering was a bit too sharp.

Nothing, I was having a blast out there, watching awesome triathletes zip me by. One day, not far from now when I actually start some proper bike training, I will be the one leading the pack of female racers!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 is always simple. Shoes to unvelcro and throw off, shoes to pull on... and GO.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 7s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

I got off that bike, started running, and ran at whatever pace felt comfortable. I had started my Garmin, but refused to look at heart rate, pace, or distance. I just ran the first loop comfortably, and then when the 2nd loop came around, I just ran faster.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, chatting with people in transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being gone for 6 weeks in Peru doing research; suffering from malnutrition in Peru, and thus being underweight; only having 1 week back home to gain weight (from lost fat and muscle) and to "train" - 1 workout each of swim, bike, run to remind myself of what a triathlon was.

Event comments:

For a "fun race", this was perfect. There were a lot of young people my age (it was apparently the cup championships or something), so there were plenty of people to talk to. The swim was gorgeous, the bike was pleasant, and the run was fabulous. I came out of this race having achieved exactly what I set in to do: to re-establish my love for triathlon and to re-dedicate myself to the sport for the next year and more.

Last updated: 2009-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:52 | 750 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 165/293
Performance: Good
Suit: Women's Zoot triathlon suit S
Course: It was 1 triangle. I drafted off someone that would normally have been way slower than me a mere 6 weeks ago, but I was taking my time, enjoying myself in my favourite sport of the 3 triathlon sports. The course was perfect, I only got punched in the face once!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:32 | 20 kms | 24.23 km/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 276/293
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops around Valleyfield roads which, like all Quebec roads, were not the smoothest chunks of asphalt. But, it was a sunny day, NOT pouring (like the HIM), so I was happy.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:07 | 05 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 206/293
1km: 5:23 2km: 5:26 3km: 5:14 4km: 5:08 5km: 4:56
Course: 2 loops of an out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-23 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Triathlon Valleyfield

2009-08-23 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2365157

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon Valleyfield
Good job Krystyna

You came back a week ago, didn't train for 6 weeks and still manage to beat my swim time

Really good time for someone who hasn't train for a month and a half! You're a rock star
2009-08-24 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2365288

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Triathlon Valleyfield
rlejeune - 2009-08-23 6:57 PM Good job Krystyna

You came back a week ago, didn't train for 6 weeks and still manage to beat my swim time

Really good time for someone who hasn't train for a month and a half! You're a rock star

Thanks so much, Robert! It feels reallllllly good to be back, and that pleasant race just topped it off!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Valleyfield Rss Feed