General Discussion Race Reports! » Mesa Falls Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mesa Falls Marathon and Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ashton, Idaho
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 9s
Overall Rank = 159/231
Age Group = 55-60
Age Group Rank = 15/17
Pre-race routine:

To bed at 8pm..up at 245am..cereal/yogurt for breakfast..bagel on the 1hr drive to Ashton from Idaho Falls.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and a short jog..off into the pine trees to..you know..
Run
  • 4h 59m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great course starting in the mountains and ending through rolling hills in farmland. The start was slightly overcast and about 50 degrees. There was plenty of cloud cover and shade from trees all the way to mile 17. At 17 came the dreaded hill climb where the pavement started. It topped out about mile 20. The sun was out now and it warmed up to about 80. The hill climb was tough for me..I was getting tired..I walked a bit but ran most of it. Along the rest of the route was several farm houses with their sprinklers facing the road..I took the time to soak myself at every one of them. One yard had a 10 year old boy with a hose..he was having a good time! The last 6 miles I had to do the run/walk. I tried to limit my walk time as much as possible but it really slowed me down. I did reach my goal of less than 5hrs. I was hoping for more like 4:30 but the hills got to me. My GPS clocked me at 4:55:06 at 26.2 miles which was a few minutes away from the finish line. I felt like my hydration was good..I used a hydration pack by Nathan, made for running. I used 48oz of HEED in it (which I drank all of) plus water at most water stops. The pack has a handy pouch on each side easily accessible..I had Hammeer gel in one and Perpetuem (protein paste) in the other. The protein paste was too thick so I only ate about 1/2 of it. I used most of the gel but by mile 20 I just didn't feel like eating much anymore. I also used several of the Hammer capsules every hour. I expended aprox 2950cal and took in around 800cal. Next time I will make the protein paste thinner. Overall I have to say this was a good experience and I performed as best I could. It was fun to have my father-in-law, who is 80, run the last 100 yards with me. He's in great shape. It also meant a lot to have my very supportive wife at the finish line. She got a couple of great pictures. Thanks Honey!!!
What would you do differently?:

Make Perpetuem paste thinner. Train more so I can keep a better pace..slow the pace down a bit from the start, which as we all know, is hard to do. This was my first FM so I have nothing to compare.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching..walk around the park

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hills in training and maybe some lack of calories.

Event comments:

Great race..great volunteers..friendly community

Last updated: 2009-02-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:59:09 | 26.2 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 159/231
Performance: Average
RHR=56, 104/68, wgt=147 First 13 miles=2:15
Course: We were bussed from Ashton 26 miles up into the Targhee National Forest..about 14mi of hard pack dirt road and wide single track through pine trees, meadows and rivers..mile 17-20 was uphill then rolling hills along farmland to a park in town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-23 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: Mesa Falls Marathon and Half Marathon

2009-08-24 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2365534

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Mesa Falls Marathon and Half Marathon
Congratulations, sounds like a fun race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mesa Falls Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed