Canada
Subaru Triathlon Series
20C / 68F
Total Time = 1h 50m 9s
Overall Rank = 142/642
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/66
Pre-race routine:

Made sure that I had packed my bag up the night before, and was ready to head out the door in the morning. Worked like a charm and I ahd time to shower and eat a light breakfast - stomach didn't feel great, but I always have nerves before the race.
Event warmup:

Got a great spot on the bike rack and laid out all my gear before getting my chip and body markings (had already picked up the race kit the day before). Laced up the shoes and went for a light jog, and then suited up and sent a little time in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 52s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim is still where I have the most trouble, but I'm gald I got a short swim in before the race because it prepared me for the fact that we were going to have waves and chop. The chop made the first portion of the swim pretty difficult and it was hard to find a groove, but I noticed that I was staying with the rest of the blue caps which was the goal. I think my swim endurance was improved by training for the Muskoka 1/2 and I came out of the water feeling pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I know this winter I need to continue focusing on the swim, and hopefully it will improve. It's tough giving up 2-3 minutes only 16 minutes into a race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

T1 I took an extra 10 seconds to get my Garmin strap on my wrist for the run later on. I chose to run in barefeet and leave the shoes on the bike. This worked fine except when I went to put my left foot into my shoe, I managed to unclip the shoe!! I had to reach down and hold my shoe, put it back onto my foot, and then clip back in. Luckily it went ok.

Stay clipped in!!
Bike
  • 1h 01m 6s
  • 33 kms
  • 32.41 km/hr
Comments:

I dind't know what to expect on the bike since the swim usually takes quite a bit out of me. But this year I felt strong for the bike and was happy with my performance. All things considered I don't think I could have gone much faster. I rocked the uphill sections, and stayed with people on the downhills, and for the most part the only guys that passed me were the monster bikers.

I did have to ride without cadence whcih was disappointing since I must have bumped my sensor. Tried to fix it while moving and ended up in the gravel - I won't do that again.

(The bike speed reported is low for some reason)

Nothing really, I drank very very little on the bike, but I had a bad stomach stitch and didn't want it to be worse for the run. Dind't need the fluids for the conditions that day anyway.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Things went smooth - put on the shoes, grabbed the Garmin off the bike and went.

Not much
Run
  • 29m 59s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 17s  min/km
Comments:

I always take a little bit of time to warm up on the run, and it took me about a km to really get going. After that I was running strong on kept dropping my pace times as the run went on - love the Garmin. Let's me know exactly how I'm doing.

I was looking to catch others in my AG buy picked off a couple of guys. Caught up to one guy with about 2.5km to go, but couldn't close the last 100M to him, and he had something left for the final 500M.

(Run pace is listed about 6sec/km faster than it was)

Maybe try and push the pace a little earlier in the run. I might have held back a bit too long.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some snacks, and just cooled down.

Had to go and collect my cycling shoe from the announcer. Standing with my wide and friend and we all heard them announce my name, and that they had my shoe! Not sure where it came off, but someone must have noticed ny race number (thank you whoever you were).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Went about as fast and hard as I could for this race. Best race of the year, and shaved 6 minutes off last years time.

Event comments:

Third year at this race (first was a try a Tri) and will keep coming back. It's a great event.

Last updated: 2009-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:52 | 750 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/66
Overall: 264/642
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Rectangular - straight out for about 350M acoss for another 50M and then back. The buoys on the way back weren't lined up with the finish so you had to be carefull to stay out to the left as bit otherwise you're adding distance to the swim/
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:01:06 | 33 kms | 32.41 km/hr
Age Group: 28/66
Overall: 157/642
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Through the city streets (some bad road conditions in town) and then out onto a P shaped course. Rolling hills in sections, some good flats, and some nice downhills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good