Pickle Events
50sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 16s
Overall Rank = 34/332
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/21
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at Scott's so we had left St Cloud about 5:35. Honey Nut Cheerios at Scott's. Banana and GE once there. We got there earlier enough we got a spot in the small lot adjacent to transition area which was nice. Packet pickup on Sun am.
Event warmup:

Spin on bike, short run, short swim before start. Plenty of time to get ready.
Swim
  • 15m 5s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beginning was pretty good but then had a little troubles getting into a rhythm. Breathing every stroke, a little jostling with other swimmers, even tho it wasn't that crowded. Got settled towards end of first leg and then swim went well.
What would you do differently?:

Settle down sooner. My pace showed as 1:43 but I think the distance was a little short. Regardless this is 2 swims in a row with a pace in the 1:40s so I'll cross that off my short term goals. Still not upper 3rd of AG but showing some small improvement.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

2nd fastest T1 in AG +6 secs. No real issues, wetsuit stuck on right heel a little.

N/A
Bike
  • 47m 43s
  • 17.3 miles
  • 21.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Went hard on the bike. Passed Sawra around mile 10. We then played cat & mouse the rest of the way, probably passing each other 5-6 times. I got in just ahead of her. I kept a pretty high cadence thruout the bike portion. I didn't pass Scott on the bike.

Happy with my bike time, 22+ would have been nice but overall satisfied.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

3rd in AG +7 secs. Ran past my spot about 10 feet.

N/A
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3.9 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well other than problems with Garmin at beginning. During races I keep hitting start/stop instead of lap when I switch disciplines. I like having the pace info on run so I dink around and fix it. I passed Scott almost right away on the run but I thought I'd get him on the bike. 17 overall out of 330+ is great for the run.

I might have had a little left but not enough to catch the next person in fron of me. I missed a podium by 28 secs but 3-7 were seperated by only 1:25. #1 in AG was Charlie Roach, #2 Larry Stracke, #3 Doug Johnson. Doug is the guy I out-kicked at Brewhouse 2 years ago. Larry had me by 4:08 and it was primarily the bike. Charlie was 1st in AG at Chisago where I was 2nd but he beat by almost 30 minutes. He may be out of my league but I want to beat Stracke some day. I was close at Graniteman so a little dissappointed with the 4+ min gap here.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, cheered on Scott and other Rochester finishers, Sawra, Matt, Renee, Mike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness is probably not a real issue anymore, I just need to hit the trainer more this winter and w/o Boston get outside asap in the spring. I will get faster on the bike. Swim is showing small improvements, I may try to swim with the Masters group at the Rec ove rthe winter or SF during the summer.

Event comments:

Great weather and a fun race. Good competition in my AG. Fun trading places with Sawra on the bike. She beat me by 25 secs overall and finished 3rd overall among women. Always fun to spend time and race w/Scott.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:05 | 875 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 131/332
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Black Pearl
Course: Rectangle swimming counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:43 | 17.3 miles | 21.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 51/332
Avg - 155 Max - 163
Wind: Little
Course: Kind of a big rectangle. Rough roads in a few places but overall not bad. Rumble strips a lot in first half. Since I was passing a lot of people I just stayed on the road for the most part. Some traffic but not bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:27 | 03.9 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 17/332
1 - 6:35 164 166 2 - 6:45 167 169 3 - 6:40 170 174 .73 - 6:22 175 180
Course: Flat, kind of pistol shaped
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Lakes Country Triathlon

2009-08-24 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2367557

User image

Regular
Central MN
Subject: RE: Lakes Country Triathlon
Congratulations on your top five finish. Always fun to have a few friends/rivals to compete against. My training partner couldn't make this race, so I was on my own, but as the faster swimmer I'm always the carrot and have that sense that he could catch me at any time. It's that feeling that I'm being chased down that helps motivate me to push thru to the end.
2009-08-24 11:06 PM

User image

Regular
Central MN
Yeah, looks like you finished about 10 min ahead of me at Chisago. Hope you were pleased with that time. As my first half, I was hoping for under 5:30, so 5:07 was a huge success. I really liked that venue, as well.
2009-08-25 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race and a GREAT run split -WOW!  I think I remember you blowing by me at the start of my run...lol
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakes Country Triathlon Rss Feed