General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 52m
Overall Rank = 9/
Age Group = Elite Open
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

got to the park, reg, and everything set up. walked around and talked to the people i knew there, and ran into/met a lot of people from BT.
Event warmup:

quick 200-300 of swimming.
Swim
  • 37m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Solid swim for me, didnt feel particularly fast but not off either. lot of chop and runnign into people from slower waves pretty much through the whole swim.

wetsuit was bugging me a lot, i have been having issues with finding a full suit that fits and i think am going to go with a sleevless for next season.

came out of the water in 35:xx, LONG run up to transition where offical swim time ended. the swim was LONG!!!!! i am normally swimming this distance right around 30 min. top guy in the sprint race (one loop) came out in 15min and i have seen him swim this distance at under 1:10 per 100 pace
What would you do differently?:

race it without the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

fastest T1
Bike
  • 2h 32m
  • 56 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

i did not have a fun ride at all.

one of the big goals for this race was to test out the bike position for longer races and see how i held up using it. safe to say we are not going to be using this postion for toyota. works great and is fast for TTs and short course, but my back was killing me by mile 40.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

fastest T2
Run
  • 1h 40m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

i was exctied to get off the damn bike and start running, and felt good at the start. clicked off the first mile in 7:31 and felt strong.

issues started right after this.
plan was to have one gel on the run and heed/coke as needed with water (this worked perfectly at rockman).

first 4 aid stations (and all the rest) were maned by a mix of kids and parents. when i went through, parents were watching while the kids worked.

i asked for heed at the first 4, i got water. ate the gel right before mile 5, asked for water to just use over my head, threw it in my face, HEED!!!!
that was fun.
ended up getting two cups of heed, no coke (just got blank stares about that).

after mile 7 i started looking for gels, no one had anything out aside from banana (wtf?), tried that, threw it right back up.

did a decent job of holding onto the pace, felt solid, but not fast. ended up slowing down a bit in the last two miles as i ran out of gas.

did PR by a few min on the run though.
What would you do differently?:

prob my own fualt for not just stopping and finding what i needed.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

head was mentally just not there today. i let the aid station issues on the run get to me and it pissed me off a lot more than it should have, and i really should have just stopped and dug around under the table for hte gels if they didnt have htem out.

did get the issues with the bike position and pacing/nutrition answered that i wanted though, and that was the goal of the race.

long swim, SLOW hard bike, and fun run;-)

Last updated: 2009-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 24/
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue 70 Helix full
Course: double clockwise loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:32:00 | 56 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 12/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: hilly bike course with a decent amount of turns. mostly good pavement with a few rough sections, one 180 turn on a narrow road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:40:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 17/
Performance: Below average
Course: along a bike path, double out and back. two hills, one short and steep, one longer and gradual at the end of each loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman

2009-08-24 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2367577

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman
Glad to hear that the swim was long. That makes me feel better! Maybe I would have broken 5:45 with a correct swim length! And there was no way that hill in transition was necessary

I'm sorry you had the trouble with the aid stations! I can see how that would be frustrating for someone speedy. Heck, I was walking through the aid stations and it was still hard to get what I wanted.

2009-08-24 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2367782

User image

Champion
i think part of the issue (well other than the parents watching the kids work),

was the a) had i thought about that i was doing, taking 30 sec at one to find what i needed would have fixed the issues enough to have gone better

b) by the time i was headed back, the 2 ish people at each aid station were simply not able to keep up with people going in both directions + people starting loop two.
2009-08-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2367577

User image

Veteran
Dude, your transitions ROCK! Your T1 is unbelievable.

Awesome race. Too bad about the aid stations. I was fortunate. All I ever asked for was water (carried my own flask of HammerGel) and all I ever got was water. I now consider myself lucky.

I'm glad to hear you thought the swim was long, because I did too. It LOOKED long, and it felf long (timewise). Oh well.

Maybe I'll see you Deer Creek.

JC
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman Rss Feed