Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-04 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2388684

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Subject: RE: Deer Creek-advice
David tri's - 2009-09-03 10:37 PM Funny you should bring that up, Alice. I'm swimming in beer right now.

David, you deserve it IRONMAN!!   Congratulations!!!!!!!!

I met you at Deer Creek back in June at my first triathlon, hope you can make it down for the fall race, I want to shake your hand once again!

Edited by abrezo 2009-09-04 8:30 PM

2009-09-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2390769

User image

Master
Ohio
abrezo - 2009-09-04 9:29 PM
David tri's - 2009-09-03 10:37 PM Funny you should bring that up, Alice. I'm swimming in beer right now.

David, you deserve it IRONMAN!!   Congratulations!!!!!!!!

I met you at Deer Creek back in June at my first triathlon, hope you can make it down for the fall race, I want to shake your hand once again!

I'll be there, I'll be routeing on alice (ahohl, my wife) who will be doing her first HIM! Also, brue, newbz, Lora and many, many others.
2009-09-16 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2368058

User image

New user
Sandusky
hey everyone, I'm planning on doing the Deer Creek tri, it was great reading all of the advice!
I'm doing my first sprint tri ever.  I trained really well this summer but I recently moved to Columbus and I haven't been training as much.  I'm hoping I do ok.  This is something I want to finish, I'm not worried about time.  I hope the weather will be ok! I don't have a wetsuit and since this is my first tri I don't have a lot of gear.   Any suggestions on what to wear?

Thanks everyone!
2009-09-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2410301

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
erin.kelsey - 2009-09-16 5:15 PM hey everyone, I'm planning on doing the Deer Creek tri, it was great reading all of the advice!
I'm doing my first sprint tri ever.  I trained really well this summer but I recently moved to Columbus and I haven't been training as much.  I'm hoping I do ok.  This is something I want to finish, I'm not worried about time.  I hope the weather will be ok! I don't have a wetsuit and since this is my first tri I don't have a lot of gear.   Any suggestions on what to wear?

Thanks everyone!

This is a TERRIFIC course, so you've picked a great first race!  If you can, check out a local multisport store (Columbus folks, got any suggestions?) and get a tri suit, either a one piece or a two piece.  I bought my first one at this time last year and it was 40% off the retail price!  These are great because you don't have to worry about changing from one event to the next.

I assume you've got the basics: Goggles, bike, bike helmet, running shoes, sunglasses.  Make sure you've got a water bottle for your bike as that's the best time to hydrate.  You won't need a race belt, because HFP Racing just has you wear a wrist band with your # on it.  That's really nice.

Let us know if you have any specific questions, too!  Congrats on taking the plunge!

2009-09-16 7:31 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Welcome to Cow Town!

There are several tri-clothing vendors in columbus...and you can also get tri shorts @ Performance Bike on Sawmill Rd.  I understand there have been good things said by tritechmultisport but they aren't open hours I can shop.  I got my first tri suit from Danskin, but I really really really like to pimp my BT gear.

http://www.tritechmultisport.com/

2009-09-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2410301

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi Erin!
Good luck!
I did my first sprint in a swimsuit and threw running shorts over the top, but if you plan on staying in this sport, you may as well be comfortable. Tri-shorts are AWESOME and I wear them for things other than races, so it's not a waste of money.

It shouldn't be too cold. The race doesn't start until 9 am, so at least the air will be warmer by then. Last year it was warm.

Now you have to give me advice about Sandusky, cuz I just signed up for an ironman there!

2009-09-16 8:59 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey everyone! thanks for all of the great suggestions, I may check out some stores and see if I can get something at a good deal.  I'm on a tight budget so I can't spend a lot of money on gear right now.  oh the life of a grad student!

Like I said before, I'm really just looking to finish. THe past month and a half I've not been able to do much training because of the move, school, and work.  So I'm just going to give it my all!
2009-09-16 9:09 PM

User image

New user
Sandusky

Now you have to give me advice about Sandusky, cuz I just signed up for an ironman there!

I can't try and help with the Sandusky tri as best I can! I looked at the website and couldn't find a course map yet.  But the good thing to know is Sandusky and Cedar Point is very flat.  So the bike and run will not be hilly.  The weather should be nice and water temp will be warm(although the lake can bring unpredictable conditions).  I would recommend booking a reservation early.  Mid september is still a busy time for the park and there are other area events that book up the hotels.  With that being said, there are TONS of hotel options in the area.  Cedar Point is Sandusky's entire industry so there is an over saturation of hotels.  The once at Cedar Point are going to be more expensive but they may have package deals for triathletes.  Let me know if you have any other questions.   
2009-09-17 6:26 AM

User image

Expert

Welcome and good luck on your race.  Since your from Sandusky, here are some shops that are a little closer to you, I dont know what they have, maybe want to call ahead of time to make sure they have tri shorts.

http://fremontcycleandfitness.com/ in Fremont

http://eddys.com/ in North Olmsted

or maybe

Buds Bike Shop. 

I hope this helps.

Rev3 Cedar Point Course Map

http://www.rev3tri.com/!/cedarPoint/swimCourse/index.htm
http://www.rev3tri.com/!/cedarPoint/bikeCourse/index.htm
http://www.rev3tri.com/!/cedarPoint/runCourse/index.htm

Rumor has it that Rev3 has booked the whole hotel on the park for that weekend and is only allowing racers to book a room. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deer Creek-advice Rss Feed  

of 2