United States
Go Tri Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 51s
Overall Rank = 171/247
Age Group = Novice Men
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition area and complete all pre-register stuff, body markings etc. Was amazed that the event was not completely set up.A tad unorganized.
Event warmup:

Stretching, slow jog, and swim practice.
Swim
  • 19m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Interesting race since this was my first tri and first open water swim with a wetsuit. I almost gave up immediately after the practice swim. I could not control my swim due to the wetsuit. Weird sensation. But I stuck with it and thank god I complete the entire swim without major incidents. I doggy paddled to the first bouy as everyone in my group was trying to position themselves and swam entirely too fast for the early leg of the swim course. Once passed the first bouy, I resume swimming -- breaststroke, all the way! I caught up with most of my wave group and some from early waves. It's fun to pass others -- a good motivator. I was cautious on all turns as I am "blind" without my glasses. The lake was not too bad, I can still see my hands underwater -- cool and calm swim. It's great to finally touch the beach and run to my first even transition area!!! A little wobbly but great feeling.
What would you do differently?:

I would start more to the left of the bouy and stay away from the wave. This allows me to establish swim pace faster instead of trying to avoid legs in front of me.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No T1 time available. I don't have clip-on shoes yet therefore I don't have to deal with it. Getting off the wetsuit was a challenge. I basically strip down my wetsuit to my waist as I ran to my transition area -- fun times.

Take time to hydrate more before I take off!!
Bike
  • 40m 2s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough ride! Too hilly for a novice. The hills come to soon in the ride and it doesn't seem to end. It was a challenge. Dropped my water bottle in mile 4 -- NOT GOOD. I was dehydrated mostly the entire course. I think this contributed to my slow ride ..who knows! It was also interesting to not draft in the ride -- makes me think while I ride -- :)

Get more water bottle backups!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Smooth

Dismount better!!
Run
  • 26m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 21s  min/km
Comments:

Too slow. Unsure of my stamina anymore. I was too concern of overly dehydrated due to my biking incident. So I run conservatively. Bonked about mile 1 -- worried but had to keep going until the water stand!! Thank god for hydration. I picked up running pace too late. I knew I have the legs for it but just was not aggressive enough.

Be more aggressive! Looks like running is my best area -- I know if I run close to others I will run a better time. I love to chase down anyone within my sight! BE AGGRESSIVE!
Post race
Warm down:

Hydration!!Hydration!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. I need more race in my belt in order to gauge my personal endurance and pacing.

Event comments:

A good race course. Organization need to be improved. I would do it again. The swim course is fun. Most challenging was the bike course. This year this race was the South Carolina State Sprint Chanmpionship -- and I think this is why the times are fast!.. Good times! Extra note: Need better parking control!! Very haphazard parking issue -- need volunteers to control traffic flow.

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:15 | 750 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/32
Overall: 200/247
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: Rectangular course. Buoys were set up 15 minutes before the race begin. So, everyone was trying to figure out the course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:02 | 11 miles | 16.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/32
Overall: 168/247
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Extremely hilly first 3 miles of the course for this novice -- most of us were struggling to climb them hills!! Great downhills -- fast but the course overall was simply a tad too hilly. Not enough mile markings!! Only saw 2 -- mile 4 and 8.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:44 | 05 kms | 05m 21s  min/km
Age Group: 17/32
Overall: 153/247
Performance: Average
Course: Road surfaced -- not too difficult except one great SLOPE!! Around the YMCA compound and Clemson Univ. campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Clemson Sprint Triathlon

2005-05-16 10:02 PM
in reply to: #158419

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Clemson Sprint Triathlon
Nice first race Alan! Keep it up, TRIATHLETE!
2005-05-17 1:00 AM
in reply to: #158774

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Thanks Tony!!! .... it can only get better from now onwards...

cheers!!
2005-05-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: #158419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Nice race & aren't you glad to get the experience? Good job & looking forward to more race reports!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed