United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 2s
Overall Rank = 193/410
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 25/34
Pre-race routine:

Got up really early 4:00. Due to the fact that my sisters apt doesn't allow visitors parking.So we had to pick up my car 3 miles away. Got into the shower and stretched. I got dressed and we drove to the site. Got a great parking space adn setup our transition areas. My sister helped out tremendously giving me tips on the best setup. Went down and got our marking and chips. What stunk is that when you got your marking and went to get your chips...you needed to have your race belt so I ran back up to transition and got the race belt. I was not nervous at all, my mind was racing a bit but I was worried about my abilities.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching and some mental prepwork and talked through alot of concerns with my sister and her ex. Both training for half and IM lengths
Swim
  • 06m 29s
  • 250 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Little cold but not bad...they had screwed up my seed time but result the issue. Theswim was tight at points but the nice thing is the person in front of me was very fast and the person behind was not so every time I would look up I had a clear lane infront of me. I kept to the front crwal but switch only twice to breat stroke.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time in the pool making my stroke more efficient. Swim with a swim cap and learn to flip turn
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I felt fast and found my bike quickly. I wiped of my feet sta down to put on my socks and i started putting on my running shoes instead of my bike shoes then had to stop to fasten my helmet so I didn't DQ. My bike gloves were inside out. I didn't practice run in these shoes...very hard. I lost my GU packet that was taped to my bike.

Practice more. Try doing the bike without socks on. Remember to fasten my helmet. Use electirc tape instead of your adhesive race numebr to secure Gu packs. Don't use gloves.
Bike
  • 40m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The people were very nice and supportive on the race route. There was a lot of potholes and loose gravel on the road. For the 1st lap I stayed in the large gear the whole time and pounded through the course. I passed several people. On the 2nd loop, I was worried that I was pumping to hard and moved down to the small chain ring. I took a more conservative approach. There was one small hill where I past alot of people but I did struggle a bit. I had a bit of a hard time getting out of the saddle. I stayed in the aerobars about 50% of the time and felt good. I never got past the whole race course and I past several people with higher swim seed times. I drank enough water and gatorade proportionatly.

Oh yeah, I spend the first mile on the bike trying to put on my race gloves so I wasn't concentrating as hard on the race. On top of everything, I lost my bar caps/plugs off my aero bars.

I would train more in the aero bar position.
I would train more on open routes not on a trainer.
I would layoff the breaks on turns and when approaching slower athletes...congestion
I would have trusted my gut and pound out the course and have faith in my leg strength.
Train more on hill so I can get used to getting out of the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I threw it in granny gear and spun out for the last few feet to get my legs warmed up. I also unfastened the velcro on my shoes and slipped my rt. foot out and the left foot out as I came in transition. I scraped one shoe up on the pavement...oh well. I racked my weirdly and then corrected it. Grabbed my GU. The transition went smoothly with the exception of my racing gloves. I left them on.

Take off my racing gloves.

Practice getting out of my shoes and running to my transition.

don't fixs my racking...reracking took about 20 seconds
Run
  • 26m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I still had the weird problem with my left calf threatening to cramp...that went away after a half mile. I felt slow at 1st and then picked up some steam. I nailed the Gu pack too early and then realized the water station was a mile ahead. I need to plan that better. The run back I past quite a few people. I felt strong and started running at full tilt. As we came to the last 1/4 mile I got pasted by a guy drafting me the last 2 miles. He raced ahead and as we made the turn I through my weight foward and passed him and 2 other into the finish line. Great stuff

Take GU with water..maybe even take water with me on the run...depending on the heat.

Keep up the running....I am getting faster and more efficient

really stride out when i first start to loosen up.

take the 2 sec to drink at the water station.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate a banana and dranks lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being to conservative on the bike and the little hiccups in my transition.

My inability to swim well also took a chunk of time.

Event comments:

Only complaint: They had the food tent right next to the finish line and they had fry chicken...the smell made me ill.

The race director and her team of volunteers were awesome. I suggest this race to anyone who lives in the DC metro area. The people are friendly and very accomadating. Plus the added support of the community help lift my spirits even more. It run very well and they have good sponsorship backing. Great swap too. Perfect race for a newbie and the more seasoned. I will be doing it next year...so I'll see you there

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:29 | 250 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 31/34
Overall: 0/410
Performance: Average
I did start my HRM...just slipped my mind
Suit: None
Course: 10 laps in a pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:30 | 12 miles | 17.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/34
Wind: Some
Course: 6 mile loop. The course was through some local neighborshoods and a closed section of highway. It was mostly flat with some gradual uphills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/34
Performance: Good
I started my HRM on the last leg of the bike so I do have my HR data for this but will post it later
Course: The course was realtively flat with some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Global
Subject: Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon

2005-05-16 7:14 PM
in reply to: #158602

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations..was this your first race?  You had an awesome run time.  Great job onthe bike and swim too.  Keep it up!!
2005-05-16 7:36 PM

Master
Colorado
Great job.   I was there as well (see my RR somewhere in here).  I too thought the race was very well run- phenominal support staff.  I'll be there next year as well.
2005-05-16 9:04 PM
in reply to: #158707

User image

Veteran
Global
yep this was my first Tri ever...I feel really good about my time. Thanks for the congrats
2005-05-16 9:30 PM
in reply to: #158753

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Congratulations triathlete!
2005-05-17 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations! Looks like a lot of lessons were learned that you'll be able to apply to your next race

-Frank

2005-05-17 10:12 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Awesome first tri- even with a few minor hiccups that will surely take care of themselves in practice. Congrats!

Sarah
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed