General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
coldF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 after not sleeping well, went down to pick up my brother at 4:15, we rode together in the pitch dark to the race to join 8 000 others pushing their bikes the same direction. Epic, what can I say.
Cold as hell, windy and looked we were going to get wet too. Set up the bikes and waited for the start till 8:30 or so.

Sun came up, but didn't get warm. We were sitting in sweaters, jackets, long pants and it was still cold...

Event warmup:

A cup of hot coffee.
Swim
  • 32h 48m
  • 1500 meters
  • 2h 11m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Off we went, crowded as hell, more than last year, very murky water, constantly hitting others and being hit too. Crazy swim.

What would you do differently?:

Hard to say, probably drink less of that dirty water for sure.
Transition 1
  • 07m 38s
Comments:

The time includes run to the transition (3:15) and the transition itself. Officially they don't show it like that, but this is for my record, so who cares.
Seems long, but the transition area was huge and it took a while to run/walk through it.
Put another shirt on (on top of the wet top I had under the wetsuit) since it was cold and it was a good idea.

Nothing, it was fine, really.
Bike
  • 1h 24m
  • 40 kms
  • 28.57 km/hr
Comments:

Up the ramp and we're cruising. Tons of people again. Slow, fast and in between. Lots of drafting too, mostly not intentional. One guy cracked me up, after sitting on my wheel for 10 min, passed me and asked if I want to form a peloton!!! I thought he was kidding at first, but no, he just got to the next guy and asked the same question and started hanging on to him. No marshalls, nada, nobody cared.
Oh, somebody trew a golf ball toward me from a passing car! Great 'support'. Didn't hit me, or anybody else, but it was fun to watch it roll for a loooong time and people trying not to ride into it. Foster Av turnarond was rough as always, why couldn't they pour some concrete or smooth out the kerb, I will never undedrstand.
Downwind was real fun, fast and passing more people than upwind.
(Just did a rough calc on the ave speed both ways and it turned out going North it was 23km/hr and going downwind South it was 37km/hr!!! Bloody hell...)

Finally the last ramp, on the brakes and T2.

Nothing, very happy with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Again, the transiton are was big, so the time was not bad. Didn't take te bike gloves off (again), this is becoming a tradition here.

Should have taken the second shirt off. It was too hot on the run, but no big deal.
Run
  • 56m 35s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 40s  min/km
Comments:

Legs felt fine, but was overall tired and the left knee was hurting still after that fall. The longer I ran the more it hurt...
No stopping at all, not even for a drink, carried my own bottle and stayed in 'the zone'. Lots of people were walking, some fast ones were flying by.

Finally the finish! Thousands of spectators, cowbells etc. Picked up the medal, bananas and that was the end of it.
Of course one would have to be there to appreciate the scene, all those people, great organization, post race party etc.

Called my wife who was there, waited for my brother (for 45min this time - great improvement for him) and walked to pick up the bikes.

I should have taken one shirt off after the bike...
Post race
Warm down:

A cold beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The left knee hurt and it was the main limiter here, but really, this time I was really close to my limit.

Event comments:

Awesome race, huge and very well run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
32:48:00 | 1500 meters | 2h 11m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
This is according to my watch and it is pure swim time.
Suit: sleeveless Neosport
Course: Along the wall in Monroe Harbour. South first, about 350m, turn around the buoy and North for the remaining distance.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:00 | 40 kms | 28.57 km/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: North along the Lake Shore Drive (upwind) to Foster ave, then South along LSD (downwind) - 2 loops. Flat except few ramps.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:35 | 10 kms | 05m 40s  min/km
Course: Flat lakefront path South to the 31st street and back to Grant Park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 3:08 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-08-31 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2379722

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice job out there.  It was cold and windy on that bike. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed