Multirace.com
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 43s
Overall Rank = 76/371
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/28
Pre-race routine:

I've pretty much got this down to a science at this point. trans bag was packed, early rise, bagle with peanut butter, rouse the wife and child, get on the road. we arrived early and didn't have to wait in the long lines that I heard about at the race entrance.
Event warmup:

light stretch and chat with Velo, Robert and Bret. we were a little late getting to the start and ended up towards the back of the line.
Swim
  • 07m 12s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

since this was a TT start the swim was much different than usual. my main concern was not going off course and getting stuck in the weeds like I did at my last race here. Velo, Robert, Bret and I started together with me and Velo going out front. It was nice not worrying about the hand to hand combat of the normal wave start. I used my new sighting technique well and and stayed straight and off the left hand side. During the swim I cought and passed lots of people who started before me but never got slowed by them. At the exit I came out of the water feeling great and sprinted to trans...a new PR
What would you do differently?:

I didn't realize it at the time but it appears that the TT format caused me to lose some sense of urgency in the swim. in my previous race there I went horribly off course causing a major direction change then got stuck in some very thick weeds where I needed to doggie paddle for about 30 feet to get loose...but I still finished that swim in 7:20. this swim was much smoother, no weeds and no nav problem but I only went 8 seconds faster when I should have saved at least 30 seconds staying out of the weeds alone. I belive it came down to the start. in a wave start with 100 people I go like a bat out of hell for as long as I can to get ahead and avoid the washing machine, then I settle into my groove. in this start there was no fear of punches and kicks to the head and therefore much less of a sprint. there may not be anymore TT starts but if there is I need to pretend like 100 guys are trying to beat me up so I move my ass early.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

very good and fast T1...6th in my AG a new pr. it helps a lot that I've gotten over the desire to rinse my feet off.

not much
Bike
  • 29m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

another PR for the course so I'm very happy...anything over a 20 mph avg puts a smile on my face. I spent much of the ride in a dual with Frank Cabrerra from Team Hammerheads which really helped me keep the pace high. he would pass me when I let the pace slow any then I would have to chace him down and pass back. this went on for about 2/3 of the ride, thanks Frank...on a side note, I'm definitely joining the Hammerheads this week. they seem like a great group of people and are well represented at all the races.

I have this habit of beating a dead horse...or in this case a dead bike. I have no doubt in my mind that I could gain 2 mph with a real bike, that would have placed me in the top 10 of the toughest AG. every day I get 1 step closer to making it a reality.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

another fast transition 9/ag and 86/overall...I was slowed a little by some people in front blocking the entrance to transition. I had run out of the medical tape I use to avoid blisters and wasn't able to wrap my feet properly so by this point I was running with very little protection, I was just going to have to tough it out.

not much, I don't sprint through transition on purpose. I use it as a time to gather myself for the remaining run.
Run
  • 19m 23s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

this was the only place where I actualy went slower than my last race here (by 19 seconds). I felt great so no problems there and I had no cramp or blister issues. I think it came down to my sense of urgency again. my speed at all times, whether it's during training or racing, has a lot to do with the competition. if I have people ahead of me to chase, or that have passed me, I simply move faster because I use them to measure my speed off of. during this run I was pretty much alone until about the last mile when I sped up and was pacing off another guy. I'm not upset because I still ran a great pace at 7:45 per mile

either learn to pace myself and know how fast I'm going or get one of those fancy satellite watches that will tell me how fast I'm running.
Post race
Warm down:

hung out at the finish to see Velo, Robert and Bret finish. got in the long line for some food. then found the wife and kid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

that dead horse...and my mental preparedness for the different format.

Event comments:

I prefer the wave start...I need all those guys pushing me or giving me something to chase in order to perform my absolute best. the beauty of still setting a new PR anyway is that I should once again be able to beat myself if the next race is normal format. I did have my best overall finish of any race and my best overall percentile at 80%.

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:12 | 440 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 48/371
Performance: Average
Suit: tri-suit
Course: straight shot across the lake
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:21 | 10 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/28
Overall: 124/371
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops inside the park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:23 | 02.6 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 85/371
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop through the parking lot and around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: Tradewinds Park Triathlon

2009-08-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2380247

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Tradewinds Park Triathlon
Great report. Sounds like your race went well.
What kind of bike are you on now?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tradewinds Park Triathlon Rss Feed