General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 10s
Overall Rank = 1936/4243
Age Group = Clyde 39 and Un
Age Group Rank = 33/58
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ about 3:45 to get to the Transition setup by 4:15am. Ran out of the Hotel room and got to the transition at 4:10. Lined up and got a timing penalty for not having my chip on my leg. Good thing that it didn't matter, got an end on the far side of the bike rack, set up my equipment and heading back to the hotel as my wave wasn't heading out until 8:40am. Got back to the hotel and noticed that I forgot my sunglasses and could not find my timing chip. Made Austin and the wife angry with my craziness at 4:45 am as I tried to find these items. I had them both telling me to knock it off and calm down. Setlled down for a nap woke up about 7 am headed back down to the lobby grabbedsome fruit and headed to the swim start. It felt weird showing up and the race had already started, many had already finished. Hung around for a while feely nervous and pulled the wetsuit on, lined up and headed for the start.
Event warmup:

No w/u as there was no place to swim in the Harbor.
Swim
  • 29m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

I think that since I came into this after 6 weeks off from and injury I did well. Better conditioning should have shaved at least 5 to 6 minutes off my time. My shoulder did not hurt nearly as badly as expected. I was happy withthe swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

This trasition really irritated me, same slowness with getting my wetsuit off. Why doesn't someone make a wetsuit with zipper at the calf so you can get it off easier. I am wondering if there is a trick to it that the public hasn't forced a new design. Next issue and a big one. The jackass who setup next to me pinned my bike to the rack it took severalk attempts to get my bike out of there. Not good.

Remove wetsuit better and know about jackasses who rack there bike on top of mine.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This part of the course made me the most nervous. I had flatted and crashed in the last two Olympic Races I had tried to finish. I was soo excited to gt into the transition. The killer part was that I was almost cut of and sent into a curb by a women who lost control of her bike at the turn to ride down the ramp into transition. I swear someone would have to bail me out of jail if I rode 26 miles and was out in the wall at the last 50 yds. I was nice though as I did not crash and talked her down the ramp into transition.

This wasan issue of conditioning again. I have done the distance many time before.

I will put a frame bottle cage for this race. I am tired of tyhe bottles lauching and spending time trying to keep my bottles from flying out.

Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Not bad, had a little trouble getting my shoes on and was not smooth in transition.

Have a better plan, seems I was a bit out of sorts.
Run
  • 1h 03m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I always place low in the running section. It is my biggest opportunity for time.

I came out of transition feeling pretty bad after the ride. I knew I was not going to be able to run fast. I decided again that finishing was the most important and focused on not walking. That was the key as my head screamed for me to walk, I refused and plugged away. I was praying for mile markers that were NOT coming fast enough. I was passed by a ton of people on the run and just let them go.

Bein better shape for the race and not crash my bikein Minnesota
Post race
Warm down:

Eat at the Picnic after the race and thn sit with the family under a noice tree in Grant park.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike crash and the 6 week layoff before the race,

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/58
Overall: 664/4243
Performance: Good
Slow and steady is what I decided to sim this portion of the race. This is normally the strongest part of the race for me. But decided that it wasmore important to finish the race in one piece I paced myself. This time also includes my 440 yd run up to transition. I belive that I could have sum faster but I think I would have pid for it on the bike. I am not unhappy about the swim.
Suit: Good Orca Evo
Course: The course was a swim out along the lake wall in the harbor for about 400 yds then turn completely around for the finishing 1240yds. The swim was not without its challenges. I had to pass many people who were swimming on thier backs. Jackasses who tried to swim over you. It was a constant battle to get to the end. I swam over a couple of people who felt the need to keep bumping into me as they could not sim in a straight line. I had to swim over them and get to the other side as they wer pinning my right arm to my side with every stroke. Finished the swim and was pulled out of the water at the end. Felt better than I had ever felt getting out of the swim leg and had gas to run into transition, passeda lot of people by running the distance into the transition. The pacing paid off.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:19:48 | 24.85 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Overall: 1779/4243
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course was a double loop on LSD. Great scenery the whole nine yards. The proble forme was that I was tired from the swim and my shoulders were killing me in Aero. I have never had my trapezius hurt as bad as it did on this ride. I HTFU'd and kept going I was a little slow on the first pass to the turnaround at foster. Came back with the wind at my back and some times hit 30 on the flats and slight downhills. What was really dream crushing was being passed going thrity like I was standing still. Anyway. The course was not bad, there really rough parts were repaired from last year there were a few spots where the pavement was buckled that launched my waterbottle. The good news was a that I had finished most of the water in the bottle.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:03:38 | 06.21 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Overall: 3227/4243
Performance: Below average
Course: Thi was a run out to McCommick PLace on a bike path. Turned around slightly past the building and finished on Columbus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-08-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2380861

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Sorry to hear about your bike problems the last few races, good to get through and get it done.

2009-08-31 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Great job on finishing the race.  It had to be tough out there coming back from the crash.  Way to fight through it. 
2009-08-31 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congratulations! Good thing nobody had to bail you out dude. I hope your string of bad luck on the bike is over.
2009-09-01 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Nice job getting er done.  I hope the demons are gone.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed