General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 35s
Overall Rank = 1105/4243
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 216/557
Pre-race routine:

Rack bike and wander transition from about 4:45 to 5:15. Wander around lakesfront watching early waves and getting cold. Wife and son came by around 6:30, watched my bro-in-law swim, etc.
Event warmup:

None really.
Swim
  • 31m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Amazingly found room to swim this year. I think it's mostly just by chance, but pretty much right from the start I had elbow room out there most of the way. Big change from past 2 years when I felt like I was fighting someone the whole way. Cold water actually didn't shock me at all either...wetsuit and 2 swim caps helped and I was prepared for the temp because I swam in the lake last weekend.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...maybe could have pushed a little harder and taken another minute off, but that would be about the best I could've possibly hope for.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Everything went ok...certainly not lightning fast, but I found my stuff easily and made the transition ok.

I need tri shoes. I can't put my biking shoes on while riding, so I have to put them on then run past the mount point with them on, which is hard and costs me time.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Really crowded and lots of people not following course rules of passing on right. Add in the potholes and lateral cracks between lanes and I'm always just happy to get through this alive and sans flats. Tough winds going north, easy riding going south.

That said, I've felt slow on the bike all year. I don't know if it's possibly something mechanical or not in tune on my bike, or if there's something I'm just not getting about cycling. I feel slow and people pass me and I look at them and their bike and just think "how the hell is that person generating more power than me?" The people with the tricked out tri bikes - that doesn't surprise me at all when they pass me, but there were some women with bikes no better than mine that flew by me.

I think I need to consult a coach or biking team or something. It's not like my speed is terrible being just under 20mph, but I've gotten slower over the past couple years and have never given biking/cadence/pedaling much thought other than "push hard and go fast."
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

This sucked, I couldn't find my stuff. I found my rack and general vicinity no problem, but could not find my shoes & bag. It was so frustrating, I was going back and forth along a 20-foot section looking through piles of wetsuits and other people's bags. Racked my bike where I found an open spot and kept looking until finally, right there underneath me, I found my shoes. Cost me a full minute for sure, but maybe I shouldn't complain too much because it gave me a little rest and brought my heart rate down for a minute before hitting the run.

Find my stuff!
Run
  • 52m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started pretty strong and after about a mile or so realized I was in almost no danger of cramping up!! This was great news, as that has gotten me in the past. So I just tried to zone in and kill it pretty good. Maybe got a little ahead of myself as the last 2 miles were pretty tough - especially with the strong headwind on the way back. But I never walked or anything, just kept chugging and ended with my best run over 3 years of this race.

Probably nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some food. Wanted beer but they only had the one beer tent and you and to stay in the little roped off area and drink your beer in there...lame.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only the wind. But overall I really can't complain about the weather. Temperature-wise it was perfect...probably as good as we will ever get with an August race. No humidity or anything.

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/557
Overall: 0/4243
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Ironman
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:25 | 24.85 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Overall: 1389/4243
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 laps on lakeshore drive
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:21 | 06.21 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 1397/4243
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 2:47 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-08-31 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2380977

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Congrats on the race.  Nice job out there.  The wind was tough. 
2009-08-31 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
duder,

You're like me....way too hard on yourself after a great race.

Nevermind that "slowing down bike pace" over the last few years.  Chalk it up to being more mature and effiecient at the other two sports.  You probably only need another one of those cool biking tips that makes a 2-3mph difference.

Great job on that run leg too.  You could have spazzed out b/c of not being able to find your stuff in T2 but, you got it done and had a great run.  Oh, and suffering for the last portion of an Olympic distance run is what it's all about.  Remember, it's the pain that lets you know you're still alive!!!!!

Nice job.
2009-08-31 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice job man.  Wish I could have found the open water like you did.  I swear I swam into everybody.  Transition was a mess, wasnt it? 

2009-08-31 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congratulations, nice job and great time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed