Piranha Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 39s
Overall Rank = 232/303
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 17/22
Pre-race routine:

Normally, I have one and it starts with breakfast but I was running late, had to wait on the g/f to get ready and got lost on the way there, even though I drove to the site the day before.
Event warmup:

Didn't have time to anyhting other than set up my transition. I was able to get in the water before the start to get a feel for the temperature and probably got about 50 yards in.
Swim
  • 28m 11s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

To sum it up ---> Awful. My 1st triathlon was a disaster. I was in the 1st wave and it was an in water start. Knowing that I am not a fast swimmer, I got as far left as possible for the start, which helped a little but the 1st 50 yards or so was like everything I had heard and read. There was a lot of grabbing, hitting etc. going on. I had to stop a few times b/c I felt like I was getting dunked and I was swallowing a lot of water. After the 1st 50, things seemed to settle down as people distanced themselves. A quick look @ my HRM ( 160+) told me I had to relax, which I was able to do and I was even able to get into somewhat of a rythym. My bilateral breathing was working like a charm. All of this was short lived as I could hear the next wave rapidly approaching. The tumbling like you are in a washing machine started all over and this time I was ready and fended off a few people, all the while appologizing.

Then, after about 200 yards or so in, I felt like I was bit by something as I experienced sharp pains in my calf. I had never gotten a cramp while swimming before so I was confused on what to do. It was really bad and I couldn't shake it.

So, my revised plan was to fall back into survival mode and do whatever I could to get out of the water as fast as possible. For a split second, I did think about giving up but as sappy as it sounds my little yellow LAF bracelet helped me through it. I thought about 1 of my favorite quotes " Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever" and kept going. I swam every type of stroke I could think of and may have even invented 1 or 2 more while I was out there. I hit the 1/2 way point @ 13:22 (159 avg. HR).

It was nice to be heading back in. My leg would start to feel better, i would get in a few yards of freestyle and the pain would come back. A spotter on a surfer board could easily see that I was struggling. I told him about my cramp and he offered to let me hold on and catch my breath. Even though I was tempted to do so and knew that it was legal, I refused and proceeded on with my death march. The highlight for me was when I noticed that I could see the bottom and was able to stand, albeit in a lot of mud. Although it only lasted about 25 yards or so before it got deep again, I really picked up some time here as I was able to walk through the water and I was even passing swimmers (haha). Finally, the finish was near and I exited the water in 28:11. 2nd half was 14:49 (159)
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm, more open water swimming. More confidence.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Ah, something I am good at. I have never been more happy than when I exited the water. I got my suit down to my waist withing seconds of exitinng. And Sue was there to snap a picture. I would have ran but my calf was still killing me, so I kinda skipped and hopped.
What would you do differently?:

I found my spot ok, jumped into my foot bath and stripped out of my suit, got the helmet on, stepped into my shoes and I was off.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 20s
  • 19 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Run
  • 38m 9s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really looking forward to the run as its by far my strongest event. I had done numerous bricks during training and have always been able to run sub 8's, which is exactly what I was looking to do.

But it just wasn't to be. My legs were trashed. Normally, it takes me a good 1/2 mile or so to get my feet back but I knew after the 1st quarter mile that the pain wasn't going to go away.

I struggled to keep it under 10's.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? I was just elated to be finished. Sue was waiting for me at the finish, and I ran into Jason and Heather and hung out with them until after the awards ceremony. Heather was 1st overall female and got a neat trophy.

Event comments:

All in all, I am glad that I finally got my 1st race under my belt. This journey started last year and injury kept me from racing. I have learned a lot from this race and have lots of room for improvement. I am already looking forward to my next one.

Last updated: 2005-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:11 | 1056 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 295/303
Performance: Bad
Out - 13:22 - Avg HR - 159 Back - 14:49 - Avg HR - 159
Suit: Sleevless IM
Course: Up and down keeping the buoys to your right. Kinda like an oval type swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:20 | 19 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/22
Overall: 198/303
Performance: Average
Avg HR - 159
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: I am pretty sure it was a big rectangle as there weren't a whole lot of turns. For the most part, the roads were smooth. I did a fair amount of passing, which is pretty hard not to do when you have such an awful swim. It was a fairly flat course with some minor grades and declines. It was nice to hit 26+ on the flats a few differnt times. I hit a really stron headwind around miles - 18 which sucked b/c I was reduced to under 14 at times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:09 | 04 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 212/303
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 - 9:25 ( 166) Mile 2 - 9:44 (166) Mile 3&4 - 19:11 (166)
Course: Dirt Road - out and back with mile markers / water stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-17 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: 1st Annual NJ Devilman Sprint

2005-05-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #158980

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: 1st Annual NJ Devilman Sprint

Way to fight through a tough race John!  I've cramped my calf in the pool and I agree that it's no fun.

Congrats on finishing your first! (and hope #2 goes a little smoother)

2005-05-17 2:29 PM
in reply to: #158988

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
thanks ...after that performance, I certainly hope that it only gets better....
2005-05-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: #158980

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
good work... why to hang in there.... nice race report..

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 1st Annual NJ Devilman Sprint Rss Feed