General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patriots Race Weekend (all races) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-09-13 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2389164

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: RE: Patriots Race Weekend (all races)
I'm okay today. I don't hurt as much as I thought I would. I'm already bored with sitting around, though. I haven't changed the bandages yet because I'm going to get grossed out. I'm trying to get a nurse friend of mine to come do it (she met me in the ER yesterday).

I was filling up my aerobottle with fresh water, hit a rough patch, a bump in the road, something, and lost control of the bike. With only one hand on the bike, I couldn't recover, went off the road, and went down. One of those freak accidents that sometimes happens.

I'm trying to look at the bright side: at least I got a nice brick in before I went down.

2009-09-13 2:29 PM

Veteran
sorry to hear about that.  i think i had already made the turn ahead of you but i saw an ambulance passing me heading the other way.  i was thinking, man i hope somebody didn't get hit by a car...i guess i was kind of right.  glad you are healing.  tough break.

edit:  we'll miss you at paul's tonight.

Edited by crazyyella 2009-09-13 2:29 PM
2009-09-13 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I was totally pissed when I got out of the water after the HIM swim.  After making the turn to go down river I couldn't see a dang thing.  Followed a bunch of heads in the water and went WAY off course. Heck. I think I swam at least 1.5 or more.  Not sure if anyone else had the same issues with that swim.  Afer that I had a FANTASTIC race. Beat my goal but 30 min!!
2009-09-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2403382

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
sk2a2005 - 2009-09-13 4:01 PM I was totally pissed when I got out of the water after the HIM swim.  After making the turn to go down river I couldn't see a dang thing.  Followed a bunch of heads in the water and went WAY off course. Heck. I think I swam at least 1.5 or more.  Not sure if anyone else had the same issues with that swim.  After that I had a FANTASTIC race. Beat my goal by 30 min!!

I had a terrible time today seeing the buoys and knowing where "on course" was.
2009-09-14 6:19 AM

Veteran
yeah, they should have just told us to look for that inflatable waving arm thingy.  i saw that but wasn't sure that was the exit point because all my open water swims have turned into du's until this race. 
2009-09-14 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Carrie, glad you are feeling better today.  I raced the International Sunday and had a BLAST!  Coming in on the last leg of the swim I popped my head up to sight and there wasn't a swimmer anywhere near me...I was 20 yards from an orange buoy and they were all getting on the ferry.  I was so proud of myself - my sighting and OWS is pretty weak but I did so well on that.  I still didn't make my time goal on the swim - the first leg was RIGHT INTO the tide and kicked my butt, but I beat my time goals for T1, biking, T2 and running.  My T2 sucked cause as I racked my bike I looked down and MY SHOES WERE TIED.  My overall goal was 3:17 and by my watch I finished in 3:20.  Not bad.  I'm so down for a HIM next year

2009-09-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2403195

User image

Glad you're ok. Rode by you as you were lying there (there were other people with you so I wasn't a total jerk), saw the ambulance coming, and I kept hoping that things weren't too bad. I went by the yesterday to watch the races and asked a couple of people, but no one seemed to know your status. Glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it could have been; I was worried. I can imagine how much it sucks to not be able to finish.

I agree with everyone about the swim course being really poorly marked. I was ok until I made the turn around the first buoy and then couldn't see anything.  The orange buoys on the way in didn't even seem to line up with the finish. I was confused.

Regardless, finished my first half under my goal time despite a ton of travel for work and a cold/cough. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way, especially all of the poor people I babbled to at the beginning of the race when I was too nervous to stop talking.
2009-09-14 9:49 AM

User image

Williamsburg
Doing well today and I will be going back to work tomorrow (I'm a high school teacher). A lot of people stopped on Saturday during the race to see if I was okay, which impressed me. I know people are doing their races and I was not bothered by anybody not stopping and continuing with their race. I had people with me very quickly, and I was in good hands. Don't feel bad for continuing to race! I would have, if I could have!

Glad it sounds like other people had a good race. The swim seems to be what gave people the most trouble with all three races. Glad I wasn't the only one confused! Congrats to everyone on their races!!
2009-09-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2404435

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
crazyyella - 2009-09-14 7:19 AM yeah, they should have just told us to look for that inflatable waving arm thingy.  i saw that but wasn't sure that was the exit point because all my open water swims have turned into du's until this race. 

They mentioned that wavy arm thing to us just before the start but with the sun coming up over the trees, I couldn't see anything until I was about 1/2 way in.  Did pretty well on the swim, for my first OWS.  Sprint bike leg had to have been longer than 12.4... at least 13.  PR'd the run!  Second in Clyde division!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patriots Race Weekend (all races) Rss Feed  

of 4