Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2391862

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-09-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2397043

Expert
Simi Valley
Subject: RE: Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking
mr2tony - 2009-09-09 11:19 AM Yes I was ticketed for speeding. And I didn't care about the 45 minutes. And yes I took it to court and pleaded guilty to a reduced charge and did a four-hour course for `speeding less than 5 over.' I am under no legal obligation to inform the government (in this case the police) where I'm going. Last I checked we can move around this country at will without being asked where we're going or why we're going there. I produced all legal and necessary documentation that proved my privilege to drive and ownership of the vehicle and insurance coverage, so there was no reason for him to chat me up. I don't want to talk to him because I have nothing to say to him. I'm not afraid of incriminating myself, I just don't have anything to say to him. If he wants to write me a ticket, I'll gladly sign it as a way of saying `See you in court.' Which I did. I've NEVER just paid a ticket. I've always taken them to court, and that's usually resulted in some sort of reduced charge. I'm willing to `waste' 45 minutes of my time to practice my rights. If the police officer wants to hold me there and sit with me for nearly an hour, I would contend that's more of a waste of his time than mine.

I am pretty sure that police officers are coached in communication skills to accomplish three things:

1.) promote diplomacy and rapport
2.) diffuse hostility
3.) establish short-term benchmarks for evaluating behavior and risk

Basically it is a rough job to be a representative for an institution that many obviously have a lack of tolerance and patience for on top of being asked to evaluate factors for public safety.  I am not sure any officer is all that interested in chatting someone up.  I am with Chris - in that I have found that answering direct questions and polite civility have gotten me back on the road quicker and usually with the same reduced penalty that you accomplished.

Two asides:  yes as a Pastor I have both broken the law and been penalized for it.  And yes, being a pastor has gotten me out of two tickets.

To the original topic:  I believe that any attempts to address the problems of the rampant alcohol abuse on college campuses are valuable and see the criticism of the police having better things to do as a veiled attempt to normalize dangerous behavior.
2009-09-09 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2397117

Two asides:  yes as a Pastor I have both broken the law and been penalized for it.  And yes, being a pastor has gotten me out of two tickets.

Love it.  I am going to start carrying my Universal Life Church certificate printout in my car 

ETA - that last paragraph is so well written, Andy.  kudos

Edited by ChrisM 2009-09-09 1:54 PM
2009-09-09 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2395966

gerald12 - 2009-09-08 9:17 PM
crusevegas - 2009-09-08 9:16 PM

I think we'd be a lot better off with NO drinking age and letting parents teach their children about the realities of drinking as they are growing up.

You can join the military at 18, die and/or kill for your country but you can't drink. That's just wrong.

There are occasions where the drinking age can be waived for military personnel as described here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/drinkingage.htm

Personally I am glad that the drinking age is 21 for military personnel. I have Soldiers that I know would just get into trouble both with the civilian authorities and military commanders and jepordize their careers. They are just not mature enough at this point. Just my own personal opinion as I am sure other military members will disagree with me.

I understand what you are saying.

I think that if there were no drinking age that they would either make their mistakes earlier and/or mature faster due to the increased responsibility.

Children getting passes for the irresponsible acts they make as "minors" just keep them irresponsible longer and it also makes a lot of inner city youth targets for criminal enterprises. But I'm starting to get off topic now.

2009-09-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2397043

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
mr2tony - 2009-09-09 2:19 PM Yes I was ticketed for speeding. And I didn't care about the 45 minutes. And yes I took it to court and pleaded guilty to a reduced charge and did a four-hour course for `speeding less than 5 over.' I am under no legal obligation to inform the government (in this case the police) where I'm going. Last I checked we can move around this country at will without being asked where we're going or why we're going there. I produced all legal and necessary documentation that proved my privilege to drive and ownership of the vehicle and insurance coverage, so there was no reason for him to chat me up. I don't want to talk to him because I have nothing to say to him. I'm not afraid of incriminating myself, I just don't have anything to say to him. If he wants to write me a ticket, I'll gladly sign it as a way of saying `See you in court.' Which I did. I've NEVER just paid a ticket. I've always taken them to court, and that's usually resulted in some sort of reduced charge. I'm willing to `waste' 45 minutes of my time to practice my rights. If the police officer wants to hold me there and sit with me for nearly an hour, I would contend that's more of a waste of his time than mine.

Thanks for telling the rest of the tale.  But I doubt if the cop saw it as a waste of time.  He gets paid the same whether he is holding you up or sitting in his squad car.  And he may well have seen it as wasting your time, since whatever you were doing, you probably werent getting paid to sit there for nearly an hour while he determined whether or not you were a threat.  But it's your time to spend as you choose. 

And how many tickets have you received? The comment "I've always taken them to court" makes it sound like you are mr. speedy out on the roads there...
2009-09-09 4:38 PM

Extreme Veteran

This whole cops discussion makes me laugh. I do not know if I have just been lucky but I have always had good relationships with the police in my neighborhoods whether growing up, in college, or now where I live. Granted I have also never been pulled over for speeding (not that I do not occassionally speed mind you, I have just never been pulled over) However I have been in the car a few times when my wife was pulled over. Once was because our engine was smoking (blew the gasket on our radiator, easy fix and we appriciated the warning) and the other was for speeding when there was a speed change on a rural highway not well posted. Both times she just got a warning because we were polite and open with him. Heck the second one we had one of our dogs in the back of the car and the officer ended up giving her a pet and laughing at her barking.

Cops are people too and if you are not doing anything illegal there is no reason to fear them. (unless they are trying to yell at you for bike laws that they are completely wrong about but that is another story altogether!)

2009-09-09 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2397105

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2397088

Pro
Evanston,

JustTriDave - 2009-09-09 2:37 PM
ChrisM - 2009-09-09 2:25 PM
Spokes - 2009-09-09 11:22 AM
mr2tony - 2009-09-09 11:19 AM Yes I was ticketed for speeding. And I didn't care about the 45 minutes. And yes I took it to court and pleaded guilty to a reduced charge and did a four-hour course for `speeding less than 5 over.' I am under no legal obligation to inform the government (in this case the police) where I'm going. Last I checked we can move around this country at will without being asked where we're going or why we're going there. I produced all legal and necessary documentation that proved my privilege to drive and ownership of the vehicle and insurance coverage, so there was no reason for him to chat me up. I don't want to talk to him because I have nothing to say to him. I'm not afraid of incriminating myself, I just don't have anything to say to him. If he wants to write me a ticket, I'll gladly sign it as a way of saying `See you in court.' Which I did. I've NEVER just paid a ticket. I've always taken them to court, and that's usually resulted in some sort of reduced charge. I'm willing to `waste' 45 minutes of my time to practice my rights. If the police officer wants to hold me there and sit with me for nearly an hour, I would contend that's more of a waste of his time than mine.

Tony - at least in California - the police state mentality extends to things beyond cops. In many stores around here, including Costco and The Guitar Center, you have to pass a gauntlet and let them inspect your cart/bag before you leave the store. Yes, "shrinkage" is a huge problem in retail, but it is my understanding that what they're doing is illegal, simply most people tolerate it rather than get held up at the door when they've followed the store rules, paid for their purchases, and are being honest.

OH MY GOD, I agree, this country is becoming SO fascist!!!!

Really, if you've got the time to sit around for 45 mintues, spend the morning in court, and then take a four hour class, more power to you.  Personally, my time is a little more valuable to me, so when the cop asks me a question I've got no problem answering it.

As for costco/best buy....  really?  this is what you call a "police state mentality"?    wow...... Bought a camera at Best Buy two weeks ago, dude looked at my receipt on the way out, took all of 3 seconds.  I think I'll sue.....

ETA - oh, and all tickets/fines/taxes/fees for licenses are financially motivated.  Why else would they do it?

you guys are too funny. 

Well put!

Constitution 101:  Our Constitutional rights protect us from the actions of the GOVERNMENT.  The Constitution does not establish any rights or obligations between private entities.  Unless there is some statute against it, a store can treat its customers how it likes.

2009-09-09 6:13 PM

Champion
Butler

Unfortunetly it is against the law to drink and if you get caught you have to pay the price.  I don't think losing your license should happen though.  If you were drinking and driving yes but not just drinking.

So several years ago I was at a 4 day concert and camping with a bunch of friends.  Some were under 21 and drinking..  Well the first day a group of guys walk up and ask how old they were (they were wearing wrist bands that said under 21 so they really couldnt lie) when they said they were 19 the guy pulls out a badge, cuffs  both of them and leads them off.  They show up a little while laer with a ticket and new concert tickets.  This time they weren't asked at the gate how old they were so they got over 21 wrist bands.   We go into the concert and after a while the same guys come up ask them how old they are.  They say 22 but when asked their birthday they studder. The cop ask "I think you know the right answer".  The one guy turns around puts his hands behind his back and say "19".  Cuffed and lead off again.  Needless to say this time no more concert ticket, they just packed up their stuff and left.  Probably cost them $700 15 years ago.

Not saying they weren't breaking the law but they were camping and not driving.  I would think they cops should have been looking for DUI's leaving the concert.

Either way it is their job and I would never give a cop crap for doing it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking Rss Feed  

of 3