Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-05 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Subject: Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking
So I just got a call from my 19 year old brother who goes to school at Fresno State. Their first football game was today and they were BBQ'ing and hanging out by the pool. The were drinking some beers (yes, i know, shocking, college kids, even those not yet 21, drink beer before going to the game. An undercover cop dressed in a football jersey and headphones walks over to the pool, flashes his badge, and asks how old they are. Him and his friend answer honestly, that they are 19 and 20 respectively. End result, 5 of them in up with minor in possession tickets.

Yes, I know, they were breaking the law. But really, is this the best use of law enforcement resources at a time when all we hear about is that we don't have enough cops on the street. They were not throwing a raging party and they were not drunk enough to warrant a drunk in public. Apparently the undercover cops were working their way from apartment complex to apartment complex checking ID's of anyone who was drinking. (As an aside, isn't this a form of profiling? I know you can't pull someone over simply for looking under 16, can you ask for someone's ID if they look under 21? Then again, since they answered when the officer asked, I suppose it voids that argument)

I normally would say that he got caught, pay the fine and move on. Looking online, however, it appears that in California, a minor in possession ticket leads to a mandatory license suspension of a year. That's a rough deal for having a few beers at your apartment.

Honestly, I have a feeling this crackdown is solely financially motivated. The 5 tickets could equal a fine of $1250. The cop told them that the ticket would only cost them between 50-100 dollars and that would be it. I realize that giving that answer makes it easier on the cop,  but really they should get their facts straight.

Ok, enough ranting for one night...

2009-09-06 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2391862

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking
That is a tough call. Also hard to answer. Not sure about California Law but if they are in their own home/yard can't they legally drink anyway? It might be different but I know when I was in college I could not get a ticket for drinking at my house when under 21, if I was on the street THEN they could ticket me. Cops broke up parties I was at as well, never gave out tickets even though the sheriffs department could use the funds. Then again maybe the at home law only applies when it is with your parents. (I had a friend in high school whose parents both grew up in England/France. They would often have wine with dinner at home and it was legal because it was at home and under parental supervision etc...)

Hopefully they do not get the license suspension but he should pay the ticket.
2009-09-06 9:24 AM

User image

seems a bit ridiculous. the cops were much more lenient/permissive when it came to tailgating where i went to college. maybe they have had a lot of alcohol related problems around campus lately and are cracking down.
2009-09-06 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Everyone DOES do it, but I remember being a lot more careful about it. Staying in the dorms/apartments before game, using plastic cups, koozies, McDonalds drink containers etc. Drinking out in the open with containers even if tailgating seems a bit nieve of the consequences.
2009-09-06 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2392187

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
cardenas1 - 2009-09-06 9:12 AM

Everyone DOESDOESN'T do it, but I remember being a lot more careful about it. Staying in the dorms/apartments before game, using plastic cups, koozies, McDonalds drink containers etc. Drinking out in the open with containers even if tailgating seems a bit nieve of the consequences.

Fixed that. Not everyone does it. Just saying.
2009-09-06 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2392200

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
ids.
bradword - 2009-09-06 8:32 AM
cardenas1 - 2009-09-06 9:12 AM Everyone DOESDOESN'T do it, but I remember being a lot more careful about it. Staying in the dorms/apartments before game, using plastic cups, koozies, McDonalds drink containers etc. Drinking out in the open with containers even if tailgating seems a bit nieve of the consequences.

Fine. Not everyone.... only about 95% of all college kids.

2009-09-06 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Sucks, but if you're drinking in a public place, be prepared to answer that question.  Around here, if the cops come to a house, EVERYONE in the house ends up with a $375 ticket.  If you're "of age" it's a contributing to the delinquency ticket, if you're not, it's minor posession. 

2009-09-06 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-05 10:43 PM So I just got a call from my 19 year old brother who goes to school at Fresno State. Their first football game was today and they were BBQ'ing and hanging out by the pool. The were drinking some beers (yes, i know, shocking, college kids, even those not yet 21, drink beer before going to the game. An undercover cop dressed in a football jersey and headphones walks over to the pool, flashes his badge, and asks how old they are. Him and his friend answer honestly, that they are 19 and 20 respectively. End result, 5 of them in up with minor in possession tickets.

Yes, I know, they were breaking the law. But really, is this the best use of law enforcement resources at a time when all we hear about is that we don't have enough cops on the street. They were not throwing a raging party and they were not drunk enough to warrant a drunk in public. Apparently the undercover cops were working their way from apartment complex to apartment complex checking ID's of anyone who was drinking. (As an aside, isn't this a form of profiling? I know you can't pull someone over simply for looking under 16, can you ask for someone's ID if they look under 21? Then again, since they answered when the officer asked, I suppose it voids that argument)

I normally would say that he got caught, pay the fine and move on. Looking online, however, it appears that in California, a minor in possession ticket leads to a mandatory license suspension of a year. That's a rough deal for having a few beers at your apartment.

Honestly, I have a feeling this crackdown is solely financially motivated. The 5 tickets could equal a fine of $1250. The cop told them that the ticket would only cost them between 50-100 dollars and that would be it. I realize that giving that answer makes it easier on the cop,  but really they should get their facts straight.

So he was breaking the law, got caught, was given a ticket and this is a problem how?  Funny how people think law enforcement must be a conspiracy when they or their friends are caught.  I don't have a problem with it.  How would you feel if the cop let them off with a warning and then the intoxicated person was in a wreck.  I assume you would be up in arms that the officer didn't enforce the law. 

Sure the situation sucks but that is the RISK you assume if you break the law. 
2009-09-06 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2392338

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
ADollar79 - 2009-09-06 12:15 PM
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-05 10:43 PM So I just got a call from my 19 year old brother who goes to school at Fresno State. Their first football game was today and they were BBQ'ing and hanging out by the pool. The were drinking some beers (yes, i know, shocking, college kids, even those not yet 21, drink beer before going to the game. An undercover cop dressed in a football jersey and headphones walks over to the pool, flashes his badge, and asks how old they are. Him and his friend answer honestly, that they are 19 and 20 respectively. End result, 5 of them in up with minor in possession tickets.

So he was breaking the law, got caught, was given a ticket and this is a problem how?  Funny how people think law enforcement must be a conspiracy when they or their friends are caught.  I don't have a problem with it.  How would you feel if the cop let them off with a warning and then the intoxicated person was in a wreck.  I assume you would be up in arms that the officer didn't enforce the law. 

I never said it was a conspiracy. I just don't think that it is the best use of police resources. If your goal is to prevent people from drinking and driving, why are you patrolling the apartment complex across the street from the stadium and not the parking lot full of people tailgating who drove to the game? You could argue that the goal is to reduce underage drinking, but to say that giving those tickets will have ANY effect is just naive. The more likely outcome is for the kids who were sitting by the pool at their apartment choosing to go back into and apartment and drinking where they will most likely end up binge drinking.

I've never been one of the people who has thought that the cops were out to get you. However, situations like this are part of the reason their is an issue between law enforcement and the younger generations. As far as I know, you cannot pull over someone driving a car just because they look under 16. Similarly, I would expect that an officer cannot demand your ID if you appear to be under 21 and are just drinking a beer, not actively buying it. In this situation, the officer did ask for their ages, not demand it, but in doing so took advantage of them not knowing their rights. Young people are stuck in a catch 22. If you answer the officer's question, you are giving up your rights and incriminating yourself. If you don't answer the question, then you generally end up being harassed by the police. I think we can all agree that the best situation is everyone cooperating with the police, but in order for that to happen, the police need to respect your right.

Asking for the ID of anyone drinking at a college apartment complex, without a complaint having being made, is no different then pulling over every person of a certain race. You may catch some people breaking the law, but that doesn't make it ok.
2009-09-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2392209

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 9:44 AM ids.
cardenas1 - 2009-09-06 9:12 AM Everyone DOESDOESN'T do it, but I remember being a lot more careful about it. Staying in the dorms/apartments before game, using plastic cups, koozies, McDonalds drink containers etc. Drinking out in the open with containers even if tailgating seems a bit nieve of the consequences.

Not at BYU.
2009-09-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2391962

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
bel83 - 2009-09-05 10:08 PM That is a tough call. Also hard to answer. Not sure about California Law but if they are in their own home/yard can't they legally drink anyway? It might be different but I know when I was in college I could not get a ticket for drinking at my house when under 21, if I was on the street THEN they could ticket me. Cops broke up parties I was at as well, never gave out tickets even though the sheriffs department could use the funds. Then again maybe the at home law only applies when it is with your parents. (I had a friend in high school whose parents both grew up in England/France. They would often have wine with dinner at home and it was legal because it was at home and under parental supervision etc...)

It appears that under CA law, it is legal to drink if under 21 if you are in private.

This is the law concerning minor in possession:

Section 25662:

Any person under the age of 21 who has any alcoholic beverage in his possession on any street or highway or in any public place or in any place open to the public is guilty of a misdemeanor.

So it becomes a matter of the definition of open to public. They were inside the gated pool area inside of the gated apartment complex. The only reason I think they were in an area that could be considered open to the public is that the front gate to the complex was open and the gate to the pool was propped open with a trash can. Then again, is your house considered open to the public if you're front door is open? I honestly don't know.

2009-09-06 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2392419

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
gerald12 - 2009-09-06 1:38 PM
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 9:44 AM ids.

Not at BYU.

Going to BYU doesn't count as going to college.

It's Fresno... there is nothing else to do there. It's like the armpit of California. Tongue out
2009-09-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2392420

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 2:38 PM
bel83 - 2009-09-05 10:08 PM That is a tough call. Also hard to answer. Not sure about California Law but if they are in their own home/yard can't they legally drink anyway? It might be different but I know when I was in college I could not get a ticket for drinking at my house when under 21, if I was on the street THEN they could ticket me. Cops broke up parties I was at as well, never gave out tickets even though the sheriffs department could use the funds. Then again maybe the at home law only applies when it is with your parents. (I had a friend in high school whose parents both grew up in England/France. They would often have wine with dinner at home and it was legal because it was at home and under parental supervision etc...)

It appears that under CA law, it is legal to drink if under 21 if you are in private.

This is the law concerning minor in possession:

Section 25662:

Any person under the age of 21 who has any alcoholic beverage in his possession on any street or highway or in any public place or in any place open to the public is guilty of a misdemeanor.

So it becomes a matter of the definition of open to public. They were inside the gated pool area inside of the gated apartment complex. The only reason I think they were in an area that could be considered open to the public is that the front gate to the complex was open and the gate to the pool was propped open with a trash can. Then again, is your house considered open to the public if you're front door is open? I honestly don't know.

I wonder if someone that works at the apartment complex complained to the police about underage drinking thereby making it a public place? Just wondering and I do not know. Yeah when I was in college drank in situations like this, underage, and no not at BYU. Wink
2009-09-06 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2392377

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 3:57 PM

I never said it was a conspiracy. I just don't think that it is the best use of police resources. If your goal is to prevent people from drinking and driving, why are you patrolling the apartment complex across the street from the stadium and not the parking lot full of people tailgating who drove to the game? You could argue that the goal is to reduce underage drinking, but to say that giving those tickets will have ANY effect is just naive. The more likely outcome is for the kids who were sitting by the pool at their apartment choosing to go back into and apartment and drinking where they will most likely end up binge drinking.

I've never been one of the people who has thought that the cops were out to get you. However, situations like this are part of the reason their is an issue between law enforcement and the younger generations. As far as I know, you cannot pull over someone driving a car just because they look under 16. Similarly, I would expect that an officer cannot demand your ID if you appear to be under 21 and are just drinking a beer, not actively buying it. In this situation, the officer did ask for their ages, not demand it, but in doing so took advantage of them not knowing their rights. Young people are stuck in a catch 22. If you answer the officer's question, you are giving up your rights and incriminating yourself. If you don't answer the question, then you generally end up being harassed by the police. I think we can all agree that the best situation is everyone cooperating with the police, but in order for that to happen, the police need to respect your right.

Asking for the ID of anyone drinking at a college apartment complex, without a complaint having being made, is no different then pulling over every person of a certain race. You may catch some people breaking the law, but that doesn't make it ok.

I think you live in a different world if you believe half that stuff you wrote.  Saying that you think the purpose was financially motivated suggests a conspiracy to make money or meet 'quota.'  Also, I can think of PLENTY of situations in college where a friend received an MIP and it DID act as a deterrent to drinking.  And in this case, where someone might lose his/her licenses for a year...I am certain some of those people will rethink the next time they want to BREAK the law. 

What are these issues between 'law enforcement and the younger generations.'  Last time I checked, all cops were 19 years old at some point in their lives.  I am sure they can empathize with the behavior.  Maybe the issue isn't between law enforcement and younger generations.  Maybe it is younger generations sense of entitlement and me, me, me attitude (subject for a different thread) that prevents them from relating with law enforcement.  The cop must be out to get them. 

To the rest of your post, I am fairly certain that in most states a cop CAN pull you over if you don't appear to be 16 years old.  They CAN ask for you id or information.   In the case of your story, the cop didn't take advantage of anyone.  They didn't have to answer and if at 19 they didn't know their rights...maybe they should NOT be drinking beer. 
2009-09-06 6:24 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

1. You can pull someone over for looking under 16. What is a cop supposed to do if he sees a 12 yr old driving?  All a cop needs to stop a car is (1) a traffic infraction (speeding, running a light, etc), (2) equip violation (broken tailight, etc.), or (3) reasonable articuable suspicion that the driver is committing a crime. Someone who looks under 16 = RAS to stop, I think.

2. I'm a prosecutor in district court and we have A LOT of underage alc. citations (mainly from concerts).  We have a program called "Diversion" where the defendant participates in a 12 hour drug/ alc. education class and the case is dismissed.  ... and if someone completes an education program on their own before the trial date I'll nolle pros (dismiss) the charges... and then they can be expunged.  I would have your bro ask if there is a similar program in cali !
2009-09-06 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2392558

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
trishie - 2009-09-06 4:24 PM

1. You can pull someone over for looking under 16. What is a cop supposed to do if he sees a 12 yr old driving?  All a cop needs to stop a car is (1) a traffic infraction (speeding, running a light, etc), (2) equip violation (broken tailight, etc.), or (3) reasonable articuable suspicion that the driver is committing a crime. Someone who looks under 16 = RAS to stop, I think.

2. I'm a prosecutor in district court and we have A LOT of underage alc. citations (mainly from concerts).  We have a program called "Diversion" where the defendant participates in a 12 hour drug/ alc. education class and the case is dismissed.  ... and if someone completes an education program on their own before the trial date I'll nolle pros (dismiss) the charges... and then they can be expunged.  I would have your bro ask if there is a similar program in cali !

Thanks for the informative post. This was the kind of good information I hoped I would be able to find by posting on here (along with being able to rant). I will be sure to let my brother know to ask.

2009-09-06 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2392550

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
ADollar79 - 2009-09-06 4:17 PM
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 3:57 PM

I think you live in a different world if you believe half that stuff you wrote.  Saying that you think the purpose was financially motivated suggests a conspiracy to make money or meet 'quota.'  Also, I can think of PLENTY of situations in college where a friend received an MIP and it DID act as a deterrent to drinking.  And in this case, where someone might lose his/her licenses for a year...I am certain some of those people will rethink the next time they want to BREAK the law. 

What are these issues between 'law enforcement and the younger generations.'  Last time I checked, all cops were 19 years old at some point in their lives.  I am sure they can empathize with the behavior.  Maybe the issue isn't between law enforcement and younger generations.  Maybe it is younger generations sense of entitlement and me, me, me attitude (subject for a different thread) that prevents them from relating with law enforcement.  The cop must be out to get them. 

To the rest of your post, I am fairly certain that in most states a cop CAN pull you over if you don't appear to be 16 years old.  They CAN ask for you id or information.   In the case of your story, the cop didn't take advantage of anyone.  They didn't have to answer and if at 19 they didn't know their rights...maybe they should NOT be drinking beer. 

Maybe I do live in a different world than you. The thing is, I lived in the college world just a few years ago. Like it or not, college students drink. Yes it is against the law. Shockingly though, no matter how many tickets you write people, it doesn't slow it down. The only difference between this game and the next for people at that apartment complex is that they are going to be drinking in the apartments instead of by the pool.

I agree, he got caught and needs to pay the penalty. I don't argue with that. It doesn't mean that I have to agree with the method in which he got caught.

There is absolutely a gap in communication between younger people and the police. There is a lack of respect on both sides. It is easy to blame young people for the problem because they don't have a voice to answer back with. The idea of blaming only one side is as absurd as blaming one political party for the state of American politics.

Once again, yes, they could have refused to answer. As I said before though, that typically doesn't work out to well for college age people. We are told from the youngest ages to trust the police. When does it change that we must protect our rights from them. Isn't it the job of the police to protect everyone's rights? Or would it be better to tell kids to not answer any questions from the police until they are in handcuffs at the station with a lawyer present?
2009-09-06 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2392338

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
ADollar79 - 2009-09-06 3:15 PM
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-05 10:43 PM

This is the best line of the thread by far and so, regardless of whether the police should or shouldn't have asked the question....breaking the law is never a risk free endeavor....
2009-09-06 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Underage drinking is a huge problem on college campuses and in college towns. The municipalities are doing what they must to protect themselves, their citizens, and the students.
2009-09-06 8:17 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
First let me say that I am naive.

I realize that a high percentage of college students are going to drink before they are legal. what I would like to see is a legal opportunity for kids to do it safely so they know what it's like and learn how to handle their alcohol. If the cops stopped by and had them pour the beer out and left with a warning, can you imagine the lawsuits the parents would file when that kid opened up the HIDDEN cooler got in a car, and himself/herself? Unfortunately, the tickets don't prevent that either but the cops can say they did what they were allowed to do.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that the legal drinking age is 21. You're setting the kids up for failure.

Sorry about your brother - and don't get me started on the sex laws that requires college kids to register as a sex offender for peeing in public...
2009-09-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2392377

User image

Champion
Chicago
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 2:57 PM

C'mon Matt this is just you being a good big bro. If it were anybody else you would've said `Ha stupid kids drinking in full view of the police totally deserved it!' I mean, really, he's a minor. He's in possesion. That to me is the definition of `minor-in-possesion.' I like the idea of getting kids to stop drinking before it becomes a problem. If the cop was vigilant, then he likely dumped out the remainder of the beer or other alcohol they were drinking, making it more difficult for them to consume since procurement could be an issue.

Young people are stuck in a catch 22. If you answer the officer's question, you are giving up your rights and incriminating yourself. If you don't answer the question, then you generally end up being harassed by the police. I think we can all agree that the best situation is everyone cooperating with the police, but in order for that to happen, the police need to respect your right.

It's not just young people. I once was pulled over and the first question was `Where ya headed today?' to which I replied `Why'd you pull me over.' to which he replied `You were going a little fast. Where ya headed in such a hurry.' to which I replied `Nowhere illegal.' to which he replied `You're making me suspicious.' to which I replied `That's your job, to be suspicious. Are you going to give me a ticket or keep asking me questions all day?' Let's just say I didn't get out of there for a good 45 minutes. But I still never told him where I was going. Small victories. The point is that I knew what I was in for, it was just that I felt he didn't need to know where I was going.

Uhhh ... then why are bouncers be allowed to check your idea when you walk into a bar? If what you say is true, then they're all practicing a form of discrimination, when in fact what they're doing is enforcing the law.

2009-09-08 2:42 PM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
I got a MIP in college, went to court, since it was my first offense I pled no lo contendere (probably screwing that up), paid a fine which was cut in half by the judge and got on with my life.  Pleading no lo basically says I know what I did was wrong and I won't do it again.  It was supposedly off my record immediately. 

Yes it slowed me down for a bit but ultimately I started drinking again.  When I told my dad he said if it happened again, he'd take 'my' truck from me.  To be honest, that scared me more than the ticket. 

2009-09-08 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
It stinks yes.  But he broke the law.  Pay the fine and move on.

My brother (who was a small craft pilot in the Navy) got busted for BUI (0.09, 0.08 is legal) for taking a rubber raft with an elec trolling motor about 30 feet from shore to a sailboat (he did not have running lights and it was dark out).

Does it suck?  Yes.  Did the cops have better things to do?  Sure, there were a LOT more inebriated people out there driving MUCH large boats.  But he sucked it up, paid his fine and dealt with it.

If you're gonna do the crime, you gotta do the time.

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-09-08 3:01 PM
2009-09-08 3:08 PM

User image

Meh, non issue.  As others have said, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.  Maybe the cop should have said "empty 'em," but it's his prerogative not to.

I drank before I was 21.  If I had gotten caught I certainly wouldn't have complained that someone done me wrong

Edited by ChrisM 2009-09-08 3:08 PM
2009-09-08 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2392649

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
uclamatt2007 - 2009-09-06 7:20 PM
I agree, he got caught and needs to pay the penalty. I don't argue with that. It doesn't mean that I have to agree with the method in which he got caught.

What method would you agree with, for him to get caught then?
Because the way in which it was done was probably the safest in terms of not endangering others' lives. If he were to have been caught driving, for example, the consequences could have been deadly to him and others.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Undercover Police Sting on Underage Drinking Rss Feed  

of 3