General Discussion Race Reports! » Quassapaug Sailing Center Open Water Swimming Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Quassapaug Sailing Center Open Water Swimming Festival - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Quassapaug Sailing Center
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 46s
Overall Rank = 76/94
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast, packed my bag and headed out to pick up my friend Marji. We had plans to meet some other friends there as well.
Event warmup:

When it was time for the 1.5 mile swim, we were allowed to enter the water and warm up. I just did a few strokes and got my goggles ready to go. The water was warm but felt cold getting in as we had been sitting in the hot sun for a bit.
Swim
  • 57m 46s
  • 2641 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I opted not to wear a wetsuit for this swim just to see how it would be. I have never swum this distance in open water with out a suit. I'm glad to have now had that experience and feel confident that I can swim the distance no problem without the security of the suit. No doubt I'd have been a bit faster in the suit, but I really think it was poor navigation that slowed me down today.

In any case the water was awesome and I had a great time seeing some friends I hadn't seen all summer and getting a really good swim workout done to boot!
What would you do differently?:

Nothin'! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and sat back on the beach with friends to watch the .5 mile race. There were a number of people who were doing all three of the distances for a total of 5 miles so was cool to watch them finish up the .5.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I could have been faster had I been a little smarter with navigating the course, but overall I'm pleased with having gone the distance without the wetsuit.

Event comments:

This was a fun event and I enjoyed the fact that it was just a swim. Lake Quassapaug is really beautiful and it was perfect for spectating the different races. I'm definitely going to try and work this into my schedule for next year and maybe do the 5 mile challenge.

Last updated: 2009-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:46 | 2641 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 76/94
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was pretty much a out and back and we swam counter clockwise. It curved slightly so on the way out you were really better off swimming point to point to the end of the out and then following the buoys back in. A little trick to stay on course which I think is where I lost time.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-06 6:27 AM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Quassapaug Sailing Center Open Water Swimming Festival
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quassapaug Sailing Center Open Water Swimming Festival Rss Feed