General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon Virginia Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon Virginia Beach - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Virginia Beach, Virginia
United States
http://www.rnrvb.com/
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 15s
Overall Rank = 1069/15792
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 852/6714
Pre-race routine:

Smoothie and a half bagel with natural peanut butter. Hopped the bus @ the Amiphitheater except our bus driver got lost. He was following the bus in front of him, then half way through pulled over and said "does anyone know where we're going?" What is with me and public transportation? I think I'm going to stay down on the boardwalk next year.
Event warmup:

Stretching
Run
  • 1h 44m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice and flat, lots of community support and tons of bands. I started in corral 3 so navigating the crowd wasn't an issue (unlike the Cherry Blossom 10miler). Started out around an 8 minute mile pace to get the blood flowing. I didn't make it to the portajohn line before the race so I was keep an eye out during the race. Around mile 5 I found my mecca with 15 portajohns and took a 1 minute pitstop. Worked out well because I ended up catching the group I had been running with even with the 1 minute pitstop. Around mile 12 my left foot started to hurt, my knees were aching, but hearing the finish line was enough of a motivator to push me to the finish line. Rounding that final loop, the blast of wind in my face, the sun beating down, sweating my a$$ off, but I pushed through and finished strong.

I PR'd by over 13 minutes from last year, so I felt really good about that. Considering the course was flat compared to Baltimore, I expected a 5-10 minute bump, but was really happy with the 13 minute PR.
What would you do differently?:

Hm, maybe not race in the 25-29 age group considering 800 of the top 1000 people were males 25-29? Must have been a lot of Navy dudes.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to the beer tent! Though 64 calorie beer doesn't quite do the trick...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat.

Event comments:

Tons of fun. Logistically, they couldn't have done a better job, except maybe having the bus drivers know where they're going?? Just a thought???? Lots of volunteers, cheerleaders, good bands, medical personnel, and ice towels at the end are MONEY.

Last updated: 2009-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:15 | 13.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 852/6714
Overall: 1069/15792
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, through Camp Pendelton and finally up the boardwalk along the beach
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-07 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon Virginia Beach
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon Virginia Beach Rss Feed