General Discussion Race Reports! » Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milton, Ontario
Canada
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 22s
Overall Rank = 24/194
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 9/25
Pre-race routine:

It felt so early. Nothing too major: a bowl of cereal and packing my stuff.
Event warmup:

It was pretty busy in the park so it was a bit of a walk over. Got set up and my race kit. Got into the wetsuit and waded into the water for a quick dip to get acclimated to the water.
Swim
  • 10m 48s
  • 375 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This race was all about the swim for me. I learned to swim last year and came face to face with the fact that I am scared of deep water at my first Tri in June. In August i attempted a sprint - I was scared, panicky and just didn't do it. It's actually the first race where i didn't actually complete the whole thing. Today would be different. Although the buoys looked far we had just done an OWS yesterday in Lake Ontario which is way more daunting that this little lake.
My wave was sent off and i did let most of the wave go ahead of me. It felt like everyone got way ahead and i was this little swimming snail. Anyway, i just told myself to stay calm, focus on the stroke and I would get there. I was doing great and i started to catch up to the back of the back who were mostly breast stroking so it unnerved me a little bit to try to figure out how to get around them. I slowed for a second and managed to get by. I feel like I sighted well as i was coming straight into the second buoy.
I finally got to the end and I was elated. I swam the whole thing calmly and just kept in my own head! Phew!! And i did 95% front crawl which is a pretty awesome feeling too!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I did what i set out to do regardless of speed in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt like I took a royal year to get through T1. I didn't bother with much. Regretted a bit not bringing my sunglasses for the bike for a second but it turned out i really didn't need them. Didn't care about my wet feet and shoved sock on - i know, but i am still a newb.
I also felt great looking at the bike rack and I was definitely not the last of my age group out of the water! YAY! My time for T1 was included in my bike time.

plan a bit better but it was fine.
Bike
  • 25m 41s
  • 10 kms
  • 23.36 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was great. I was smiling a ton from how well the swim went. A 10k bike was no biggie to me. The major challenge had been accomplished. Did some passing. Wasn't passed too much. It was such a calm day there were no winds to worry about. A couple of minor rolling hills which I spun up and took the descents in the big chain and just enjoyed. The time includes T1 and T2 ... so the time is a bit misleading.

Not too much. I would have adjusted the speed sensor for my bike computer because it got a bit turned in transit and clicked the whole time I was out there. People could definitely hear me coming!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was much faster. Changed shoes, put on a hat, took a quick sip of water and got the heck out of there. Time is included in my bike time.
Run
  • 12m 54s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

I almost ran back to the water. Thanks to all the volunteers for steering me in the right direction! It was a hilly little course. i ran the whole thing. Passed some ladies on the first short steep hill. Didn't wear a watch so i had no idea of the pace. I knew I was pushing it when on one of the inclines my stomach made me aware that it was unhappy with me. Slowed just a teeny bit and still finished strong! I also smiled the whole way through this. Just great!

Oh and in reviewing the results my run time was 4th fastest overall. Cool!

Not too much. Should have realized that there would be hills ... duh. it's on the escarpment.
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much. Took water. Went and found D.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, this wasn't an 'A' race and i did my long run for marathon training yesterday - didn't feel too fatigued but it would have been different race if i didn't have such a long run the day before.

Event comments:

This was a great race. They even gave out finisher's medals! :D Lovely day too.

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:48 | 375 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/194
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Kind of a triangle. It's a small spring-fed lake so it was calm.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:25:41 | 10 kms | 23.36 km/hr
Wind: None
Course: Didn't really notice much about the course... Roads just outside of the park.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:12:54 | 02.5 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Course: Lots of hills. Surprising, for such a short distance. Park roads
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-07 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton

2009-09-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2393028

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton
WOO HOO!  Great race!  Very happy for you.  Sounds as though you really enjoyed yourself.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton Rss Feed