Somerset Patriots
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7am and made coffee. Woke my son at 7:30 and he moaned and said "I dontwanna do it" and rolled over and went back to bed. Members of his new swim team were running it. Had a banana and coffee.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site and it appeared that the race was being run totally in one parking lot. I did an arthritis walk there a few years ago and hated walking around in circles in that lot. I decided to bag it as I certainly didn't want to run circles around the lot, but parked as I wanted to see a 5k run in circles. I took my registration with me just in case. The info guy asked me if I needed help as soon as I walked in so I asked what the course was. It was between two lots and through the stadium; one lot was run twice. Not so bad so I figured I would register. I paid and jogged back to the car to drop my coat, jogged back to the bathroom for a pit stop and then back to the start. I realized I forgot my watch! Fortunately start was near the parking lot, so I ran to the car to get my watch, and prayed it would pick up satellites before race start. It did with time to stand around and chat with friends at the start.
Run
  • 24m 26s
  • 3.19 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Miserable run conditions. The warning track was slick with lots of cinders, and the back lot which had to be run twice had shell casings and wadding from fireworks as well as piles of sand/pebbles that had blown up against the curbing that defined the corners of the race. There was a lot of cutting the cones and barrels by many racers. The parking lots were hot with no shade. Unfortunately for me all that contributes to alot of negative thoughts about how I am feeling. Coming out of the first parking lot and heading into the uphill I appeared to be more than half back in the pack. That was pretty discouraging(later turned out that there were alot of kids that started out fast in their usual way, but couldn't sustain it). With a first mile call out of 8:05 I had pretty much given up that this was going to be a good run.

It was a good workout though and that I need. It also nice to have a race to remind me that I can still race.
What would you do differently?:

Can the negative thoughts!
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with some friends waiting for the rest of the pack to come in had a bottle of ice cold water. The food was a long walk from the finish, but I was starving so I headed that way.....nothing but bananas and oranges. Had to wait forever to get results and even then it was only through the awards ceremony, which took place on the field and they had to get all the finishers pictures for each AG and the did the female AG last..which I am almost at the end of the pack. It was a nice touch, but I had to get home to family!

My son is disappointed that he didn't race. I beat one of his arch rivals in swimming...and he would have to. He could for once said I beat Matt Van.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm, maybe the "I can't do this" thoughts.

Event comments:

First year for them running this race. Maybe they need to work the glitches out, maybe they think it is fine.

Last updated: 2009-09-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:26 | 03.19 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
The first mile was called out as an 8:05! it had to be wrong I had it at a 7:23.
Course: Parking lot runs, mostly flat with a hill in between that had to be run 2.5 times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-09-07 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: Somerset Patriots - Labor day run

2009-09-07 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2393357

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Somerset Patriots - Labor day run
prayed it would pick up satellites before race start, ? most people pray to god not satellites.  Good job getting up and going.  Only a few weeks to FLT.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Somerset Patriots - Labor day run Rss Feed