United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 02m 32s
Overall Rank = 267/315
Age Group = 33
Age Group Rank = 17/23
Pre-race routine:

Go to the race course and check it out. Look at the water, feel the water temp (swim in it, if possible) and talk to locals or others in the area to get the low down on the area, the terrain and the water.

Lay out gear the night before on my transition towel and pack all race day gear the night before and get it organized in one place to move it to the car.
Event warmup:

Ha! This race, I only did a few strides. I need to work on a more structured plan for the future.
Swim
  • 43h 02m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

the swim for me in this race, which was my biggest concern going into this event had a happy ending. It turned out that the swimming was no big deal. My fear was that I wouldn't be able to get through the distance but as it turns out the real challenges for me still were ahead.

I got kicked in the mouth and punched, thankfully not hard enough to do any damage. At least I know have an idea of what that's like instead of living in fear of it happening.

I put my goggles on first, with the strap tucked beneath my swim cap, something I learned in an open water clinic. Punch me, kick me and poke me with your elbow, your not knocking the goggles completely off. :)
What would you do differently?:

do some open water swimming before the event if possible. Get pointers on how to sight (if I can't remember) before going into the event.

Swim well over the distance of the race on a more consistent bases.
Transition 1
  • 06m 43s
Comments:

For gods sake, I need to take transitions a little more seriously, I take way to long to make them.

I fiddled with my shirt. Put it on backwards. Inside out.

practice transitions outside of race day.

Pay more attention to every detail. Lay the shirt down so the front is facing down, so I put it on right. Bring a shirt or something that can accommidate food.
Bike
  • 3h 35m
  • 56 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great for the first hour and ten minutes, riding much faster than my final avergage but then it all changed. Part of my down fall was lack of fitness, part of it was my feet were in terrible pain and the other was enviornmental, the wind across some of the back flats was a real drag.

With an hour and a half left I was wimpering (crying) like a baby in pain. Luckly no one else was around to witness this. The hour edges of my feet were killing me. I wanted to unclip, quit, stop, you name it. When I finally got to dismount I could hardly walk. I sat down and got those dam Sidi's off and put on my running shoes and headed out of the transition area, running. Ugh!

I think I gave the ride a good shot but I felt kind of weak.

Become Quadzilla. Lift huge weights in the off season and continue to lift during the season. I could stand to put on some muscle.

Also riding like a banchy, putting in more and more long rides would have been very helpful. The weather has sucked this year so...that's my excuse although I could have been a little more disciplined (in a perfect world of course).
Transition 2
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

to long again!

make a plan for transitions. I should of stretched some. I should have had a plan!!!!
Run
  • 2h 32m
  • 13 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 4 miles sucked. I tried adjusting my heal strike position to eliminated the foot pain. That worked about as good as trying to heard a pack of cats. I started to get philosphical, trying to examine the sensation in my foot and rationalize that it was just a sensation and to just observe it.

Finally the pain disipated (which I never thought would happen) and I started to run like wasn't injured. That lasted for the next three miles and then I just got tired and hungry. The gu's, balance bars and hammer sports drinks are all fine and dandy, but after 5-7 hours you start dreaming of subway sub sandwichs, chocolate milk, coffee and all things food. I was h-u-n-g-r-y for some real calories.

I had met some wonderful guys the day before when I was testing the pond water and as I came down that last stretch of path in the run there they were. With a little encouragement from them, I picked it up and came on in. I spontaneously cried as I crossed the finish line. I think I scared the poor little girl who was handing out the metals. It was such an unexpected emotional moment for me. I was so happy to have completed it and oh so tired.

I used a run walk strategy. I ran for 10 minutes and walked one. It worked out well considering the state I was in.

train with more intensity for the run and bike. Do more bricks and talk to other experienced athletes who you admire there training and learn how to race and train smarter.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

general fitness and athletic maturity that comes with TIME.

Event comments:

This race while it was one of the hardest events I have ever attempted was so cool. I learned so much about myself and it was interesting to have the intensity of emotion that comes with the process.

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
43:02:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/315
Performance: Good
1.2 miles
Suit: orca wetsuit and race suit
Course: lake swim 2 laps
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:35:00 | 56 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: flat, cut up, bumpy
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:00 | 13 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Course: trail run. Sandy and uneven.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-18 9:11 PM

User image

Boulder, CO
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Half Iron

2005-05-18 9:51 PM
in reply to: #159792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Half Iron
Congratulations on a nice race...must be a great feeling to finish a 1/2 IM...I hope to do the same in Oct...again, congrats!
2005-05-18 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Wow, very impressive.

I am always amazed by people who are able to push themselves through pain barriers (nothing wrong with a few tears) to achieve personal goals. You must be so proud to have finished a half Iron. What a great achievement. Well done!!

Paul
2005-05-18 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
You didn't put anything in your pre-race routine about the hot triathlete guys that took you to dinner!!!

I am so impressed with how strong you are...mentally & physically.  The mental strength to keep pushing when you were in so much pain has me in awe.  Great work girl chick.

So whats next?
2005-05-19 11:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great accomplishment!  Congrats!

You definitely have the mental toughness for going long.

2005-05-19 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

You must've found the zone during your race. It didn't read like a 7-hour adventure, which makes me think you have the mental discipline really working for you! Training for transitions is easy - you've already got the hard part mastered!Very cool!

Thanks for letting us in on the hard parts. Every day I train thinking about this distance and what I will wish I had been doing now. Thanks for the insight!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by Alpine87 2005-05-19 12:51 PM

2005-05-21 5:49 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Hey, congrats and sounds like a great race. Hope you're recovering well.
2005-05-22 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
congratulations! your first half-ironman and very early in the season - well done!

... and congrats on qualifying for SOS!
2005-05-22 10:21 PM
in reply to: #161399

User image

Expert
San mateo California
your report was really great...  I think you did great... and obviously you were in great mental shape to finish the way you did regarless of the pain.  You put up a great race...  You did great..   and now that you have done a half.... when is the next one... or the full..  You got to think about these things huh?

congratulations...  

cheers
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Half Iron Rss Feed