The Kauai Marathon
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 09m 41s
Overall Rank = 313/994
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/96
Pre-race routine:

Actually had a decent sleep, the only thing one of the twins joined me at 2 am. Alarm woke me at 4 am, got up made coffee, did my duty, gathered up my gear and headed over to my running partners house to ride with her, parking was limited so we carpooled. She wanted to keep her legs warm so she had the heat cranking, by the time we got to the event my mouth was so dry and when I bent over in the car to gather my gear I started to gag, so sick of that happening on race day. Luckily I don't actually vomit but I come close. It was a one time episode not like my last race where it kept occurring...

Event warmup:

Lines to the porta potty's were too long so we found some bushes. There were 1800 people combined for both 1/2 and full Mary. I did some jogging in the parking lot for about 4 minutes to warm up and stretch.
Run
  • 2h 09m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, I had so much fun, the energy and buzz got me so into the zone! My run plan was to run 4 min walk 1 min, my friend was into doing it with me because she wanted to run a 10 min mile and I knew I could do that because I was able to come close in training. She doesn't keep track of her runs and times like the anal me. I lost her after the fist mile, part of it she was fidgeting with her ipod and didn't tell me and when I turned around to find her she wasn't there. I continued with my plan, ran up to my other friend who was doing the whole but she running the whole time so when I it was time to walk I would loose her, then when it was time to run I would catch back up and pass her, this happened for about 3-4 cycles and finally she never passed me again on my walk, that alone gave me assurance that my race plan was a good choice, when I was running I was running fast when I was walking I had a good pace but allowed my HR to come down a bit to conserve energy to finish strong. This course is very challenging, it is mostly climbing the first 7 miles the second half of the course is flat to down hills except for two good rises just before 12 miles.

Every drink station had hula dancers of different sorts with drummers, what a surprise, I was so Happy to see them and felt bad they had to endure the rain that we welcomed, they were all volunteers, a coworker of mine did a Hula marathon for 6 hours!

I was just so excited that my plan worked, actually when I was coming down the last 1.5 miles and realized I was going to finish early, I kind of slowed a bit because I wanted my hubby and kids not to miss me finish. They arrived to the finish 1 minute prior to my finish and got me on video! I was 10 minutes early of my fast predicted time.

Normally the weather in Poipu is very sunny and warm, I was hoping for clouds and rain and that definitely helped my performance.

My video finish!
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?...
What would you do differently?:

Start training for my longer runs sooner than 6 weeks out!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood for my finishers photo, walked around stretched, thanked my foot doctor for my inserts that help my flat feet and keep the PF away! Waited for my friend to come through the finish line, she was 15 minutes behind me, her first long race ever, she was a sprinter in track in high school and still learning about pacing. So proud of her to take on the challenge,I think she learned a lot. A year ago she said she was a sprinter and wasn't interested doing any long distance. Glad she changed her mind.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of long run training.

Event comments:

This was the inaugural event and everyone was raving at how good a job they did organizing and planning this event, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and even thinking of doing the whole next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:41 | 13.1 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/96
Overall: 313/994
Performance: Good
Course: Name: Kauai Half Marathon - Poipu Distance: 13.13 miles / 21.13 km Location: Start: Poipu Shopping Village Poipu - Lihue, HI, US Attributes: loop, mixed flat & hills, roads Description: Start on Poipu Road next to Poipu Shopping Village, go east on Poipu Road to Koloa By-pass road thru Koloa to Hwy 50 to Omao Road, back to Poipu thru the new sub division, finishing along the beach near the Sheraton Hotel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-09 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: The Kauai Marathon

2009-09-10 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2398075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: The Kauai Marathon
good job! I have never tried the walk/run thing - mostly because I suspect if I started walking I would never return to running!  I love hills - they break up the race and give me something to focus on in the short run. 

So when is your next half-Mary? 
2009-09-10 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Awesome job, Nancy and a PR to boot!!!!  This really sounds like it was a lot of fun ~ maybe next year I'll join ya!   Love the pics!
2009-09-15 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Go Nancy!!  Way to beat your goals!

2009-09-15 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Wow! Congrats! Sounds like a blast! I love Kauai. I will have to add it to my to do list.
I love Poipu and have stayed at the Sheraton. Cool! Lucky you in Kauai!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Kauai Marathon Rss Feed