Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Joining a Tri Club... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-10 12:28 PM

New user

Port Moody, BC
Subject: Joining a Tri Club...

Hi - Thought I'd better make my first post useful Smile

Summer of this year I decided that I'd like to get back into triathlon after taking too many years off (moving to Canada, getting settled & then birth of my daughter all ate up way too much time to train) but training by myself is fast becoming dull.

I was thinking of joining a club so I looked on tri bc, found some in the area and had a look at the websites. I live in Port Moody so the two most viable I guess are Tri Cities on St John's and North Shore TC but as the summer draws down I can't seem to find anything on the sites about winter training and also I don't really know which one would be better suited to my level of fitness.

To give a guage of where I am at fitness-wise, my time for a sprint is around 1hr 20m with 2 months of training behind me but am getting fitter & faster week by week.

So I guess I have two questions, What is winter training like at either of these clubs and which club do you think would be better suited (ie. is one better than the other for someone who is looking for a little more serious training rather than a social easy ride/run)?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

oh and BTW the handle refers to where I live and not the fact I'm a sulky b**tard - honest!

2009-09-10 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2399039

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Joining a Tri Club...
Welcome!

I know nothing about those two clubs - but have you contacted them? Don't be afraid to call them up and ask them about their schedule, and if they think you'd fit in with their levels.
AND - you can *always* go for a trial swim, ride, or run with the group before you throw down the money and make the commitment. If they tell you it's cash up front, you don't want to be a member of that group.

One other thing - and again I'm not familiar with the mainland clubs/races - do they put on any races? If they do, and if the races generally have good feedback, then the club is generally well-run and organized.

Just my $0.02. There are plenty of knowledgeable mainlanders on this forum that can likely answer this question better than I can.
2009-09-10 6:37 PM

User image

Regular
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi Matt..

I recently relocated from Victoria to North Vancouver... and have been in contact with the North Shore Tri club... the club pres for 2009.. Jordan was incredibly helpful and approachable..

They are winding down the official trg season.. but will likely continue to have rides on Wednesday's & Saturday's.. but not necessarily "official club" planned ones...

I'm hoping to get out riding with the group a few times in the coming months... then to join the club next year.. and participate in the workshops/trg sessions

Sorry.. I don't know much about the St. John's group... but am assuming they are on the Port Moody side of the harbour??
2009-09-10 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
I'm in with tri-cities, like it, very social, number of different abilities, strengths and goals. Lots of friendly people. I was also a member of North Shore. I wasn't too impressed with it. Might have been just me but I found them to be very cliquy, me and a few others didn't feel all that welcomed....
again, might have been just me. The North Shore work outs were okay but I was looking for something a bit more friendly. Now you have like 6 cents from all our 2 cent opinions!
2009-09-10 9:36 PM

New user

Port Moody, BC
Thanks for the $0.06c - appreciate it.

I have contacted them.... well when I say I have I've just sent them both an email because I'm lazy..err I mean... busy.

I'll pop into Tri3Sports on the way back from work and call North Shore TC and see what each has to say about training and joining up for a ride.

matt
2009-12-12 12:10 AM

User image

Regular
burnaby
Has there been any news on tri clubs? I like training on my own but often wondered about some of the local clubs.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Joining a Tri Club... Rss Feed