General Discussion Race Reports! » Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
United States
Lancaster Family YMCA
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 11m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left the house at 4:30 and drove the two hours to the race. Tought o find a bagel that early so opted for a muffin not the same. Then the coffee from Royal Farms was cold, so the rest of my day went with disappointment.
Event warmup:

1/4 mile run back to the car to retrieve USAT lic and ID. Grabbed my fresh warm cup of coffee I had also forgotten. 1/4mile back end of warmup.
Swim
  • 32m 20s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt I was not as prepared as other races. My swim fitness has taken a big hit with the new job, (excuses). Never found a draft as I opted for straight route over following the bouys in and out.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

The water was refreshing actually down right cold at 65.They had carpet on the boat ramp which was good. Unfortunately the carpet started rolling up and when we exited it almost tripped me. In fact the two guys behind both went down, heard some volunteers say something about being it typical as they don't use their legs in the swim, DOH the carpet tripped them not their numb legs. Of course I can't say anything as my HR is screaming high was down to 156 by the time I got to my bike. Once off the ramp you hit the mud in transision what a mess. I sank up to my calves in places. Once at my bike the wetsuit did a great job of cleaning the mud off my ankles and feet as it came off.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 59s
  • 26.7 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Of course it rained the whole time, lite rain but made the road wet and slick. With way more turns then any course I have been on due to the loops. Some people scared me by going too fast and others scared me by stopping, geesh no happy middle road. Luckily we were spread out pretty good. Now normally I am pretty strong on the bike but today ran into a mechanical issue, the front derailer was not functioning. I had the choice to be stuck on the small or big ring after the first 3 miles. We had already made a big climb and thought I could just push it through. I could but more slowly then I would have wanted and hurt the legs more too. LOTS of hills and me on the big ring, urgh. I see it really lowered my cadence too normally 90. But the small ring was not enough on the rollers and there was too much cross chain noise. Thought HTFU, Suck it up. This one girl passed me on an uphill only to be overtaken by me on the next set of rollers. As she pasted me again on an uphill, she said I looked like I was struggleing on the hills. When I told her I could only use the big ring she said she would just die, I told her I am not far from that now. Not a fan of loops either as it seemed you never got a good pace going before it was time to turn again. Over the longer loop of 12 miles we had 14 turns longest straight was 1 1/2 miles along the turnpike. Adding the slick rain covered roads made it just slower, specially to turn. The mix of sprint and olympic racers complicated things too. Worse two things, Riding in the middle of the road side by side chatting and stopping at the turns.

Obviously get the derailer working right. But it was working before but I should have ridden it more since HTO replaced the cable as seems to have streched when I needed it the most.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Knew it before hand but with the new Yankz my shoes are harder to put on. Its good as the Yanks hold my forefoot better but slowed putting them on. Oh did I mention the MUD. As we leave T@ with have to run thru a pig trough. I had mud over my shoes before even getting to the timing mats. Ridiculous they didn't have carpets or rerouted us as it got worse by the time we returned.

practice more with my shoes
Run
  • 1h 03m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not trained on hills much this summer and paid the price. My legs felt surprisingly strong after the bike but those hills just killed me. Very challenging course from that stand point. Didn't realize PA had so many hills was very hard to get into a good pace. Felt much better on the second loop after eating some salt caps and tums. But the legs never cramped but I could sense they were on the edge. Surprised my pace was as good as it was.

Should have modified my yankz to be easier to put on. Practice more on hills. Guess the treadmill at the gym will have be run higher over the winter.
Post race
Warm down:

trudge thru the mud to my bike rack. Collect my soaked mud covered gear and pack. Then a few of us decided to look for some food. NONE the one table we found the guys said it was for your group, the one guy asked if we could join.
Will up date the race time when posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HILLS, swim fitness and mechanical bike issues

Event comments:

This is the worse event I ever competed in. First yesterday before the race we get an email which states thanks for signing up but due to signing up late (a month ago) they may not have shirts for us late registrers. I felt it should have been covered at registration as other race do. But they took the extra $10 bucks no problem. So we check in and get no goodie bag not just no shirt, on our packet we are told to come back at 7:45 to see if any shirts. Well three of us hit the station at 7:55; 20 minutes before the race and she gives us a hard time about not having a lot of extra shirts, good grief. The race starts 15 minutes late but then part of 1st swim wave took off after someone rang some cowbells not the airhorn. For 5 minutes they try to stop them by YELLING STOP to those swimmers, why not use a kayak they couldn't possibly hear you. So after another couple of minutes they send the rest of the 1st wave. How will they score / time that wave? There was no water station on the bike even though we go by the same intersection three times for the loops? I report the guy I saw cut the course and the official said not much he could unless an Official sees it. Didn't even take his number? Then the issue of the lack of food / drink at the end was dismal. A lady I racked next too said this new race director is know for being cheap. The races she did before the YMCA ran, and they had a great spread out. Then on the way out of the park we are forced to turn the wrong way and sent out to the country with no idea of where or how we were to get back. I was disappointed to say the least with the way this event was run. Its a shame as the course is a good test of your endurance. The lake is awesome and well situated. They could avoid the loops and go longer there are lots of roads in that part. I ride the Lancaster Covered bridge Century most years and they cover alot more ground. In a nutshell I will not be back, there are way too many well run races to putup with this. .

Last updated: 2008-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:20 | 1650 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: pro motion sleeveless
Course: Down and back the middle of the lake, only flat area on the course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:59 | 26.7 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
147 avg hr
Wind: Some
Course: 2 big loops and 1 little loop Some amazingly hard short hills with some nice rollers in between never much flat or straight. I think 1 1/2 miles along the turnpike was flat.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 77
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:03:35 | 06.21 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Course: 2 out/back loops over HILLS. HILLS followed by HILLS
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2009-09-12 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Subject: Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon

2009-09-12 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2402495

New user

Downingtown
Subject: RE: Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon
I 2nd everything you said about the event.  Good job with your race it was a tough course!!
2009-09-14 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD

Congrats on finishing, but what a terrible race. 

2009-09-14 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Skip, sorry to hear that it was such a terrible race.  Despite all that, it looks like you gave it a huge effort and I hope you are happy with that.
Looking forward to riding with you sometime soon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lancaster Family YMCA Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed