Sunset Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 37s
Overall Rank = 210/238
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

I had laid all of my stuff out the night before the race, so on race morning, I just had to get dressed and pack the stuff into my back-pack and load my bike in the car.

I woke up early enough to eat a whole packet of instant oatmeal... usually nothing wants to go down that early... I also drank a bottle of water on the way to the race - about a 40 minute travel time.

I arrived at the race and met up with my friend and her roommate. We walked our bikes over to transition, got body marked and set-up transition and took a few pictures. I thought we were early, but there were hardly any spaces left... I got a GREAT space anyway...
Event warmup:

The oly race started at 6:30, so we watched as the swimmers were finishing, then they let us on the beach for our warm-up... I swam to the nearest doc and back... I felt out of breath, and wondered how I'm going to be able to do this race...
Swim
  • 23m 49s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I surprised myself on the swim. I thought it would take MUCH longer and that I would be the last one out of the water... but that wasn't the case... I sighted well and there were still people swimming when I got out :)

My time on the swim looks longer than it actually was since they added most of the transition onto the swim time...
What would you do differently?:

I had taken my flip-flops to the beach, I ran with them a little way, but ended up taking them off. I'll just go barefoot next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

During this transition, I talked to my neighbor - who didn't finish the race...he looked fine, he wasn't injured, so I asked what happened... he said he swallowed a bunch of water and had a horrible swim - whatever - there's 1 person I beat to the finish!
Bike
  • 1h 06m 38s
  • 14.44 miles
  • 13.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I had Soooooo much fun on the bike... I was able to pass people and only got passed a couple of times. I like going fast on the descents!

I put electrolyte mix in my aero bottle, but didn't put enough. Then I finished that and had to stop to re-fill my bottle. I didn't have any electrolyte mix in my 2nd bottle.

I need to learn how to drink from the cage or at least re-fill from the cage without having to stop for the refill...
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s

I bought Yanks, but didn't practice with them, so I didn't use them. It took time to tie my shoes, and I tied them too tight, so I had to stop during the run to adjust the shoes.
Run
  • 51m 45s
  • 3.62 miles
  • 14m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I expected to have trouble running, but not THAT much trouble! I figured I'd run & walk til I got my legs under me, but once my legs were under me, I started getting shin pain - DARN... I stopped to stretch, loosened my shoe laces, stretched again... someone offered me gatorade... I took a sip, and kept walking. It took a good 2.5 miles before I could run - and then I was out of energy.

1. walk more out of transition... my body needs more time to adjust.
2. Bring a hand-held with water or electrolyte in it.
3. do more bricks
Post race
Warm down:

got to the finish and grabbed water & a bagel... walked around a bit then went and stretched. Cheered for the winners in the awards ceremony.

It was a LONG walk back to transition, I packed up my stuff and rode my bike back to my car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my run sucked! I need to practice running off the bike, and see if electrolyte replacement will help with shin splints?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:49 | 800 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 204/238
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit allowed
Course: swim under the bridge to the bouey's... around 2 bouey's, back under the bridge to the beach... then run about .25 miles to transition to where the matt is.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:38 | 14.44 miles | 13.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 177/238
Wind: Some
Course: very HILLY... come out of transition up-hill, and continue to the biggest climb of the course. Then some downhill til you climb again, then an awesome downhill portion to the turn-around... after the turn-around, you must climb what you just came down... then a nice downhill back to transition
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:51:45 | 03.62 miles | 14m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 217/238
Performance: Bad
Course: Hills, Hills, Hills - started with an uphill out of transition, and then a slight incline to head out to the dirt road. once on the dirt road the hills were very steep! up and down... came back out of the desert portion and ran around the transition area and went another mile down the road to the Village where the finish line was.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-12 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Subject: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon Race #2

2009-09-13 4:27 AM
in reply to: #2402817

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon Race #2
Nice job Diane!  Congrats on your first Tri!
2009-09-13 5:24 AM

Uxbridge
COngrats Dianne...you are a triathlete!!!!
BTW I didn't see the stainLaughing
2009-09-13 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats Diane!!! You did awesome on the swim. Awesome. That bike/run transition is a bear. Even without the shin problems you've been having. You should be very proud of yourself. We are all bursting with pride and joy in your accomplishments.

Keep up the good work. I'm proud of you. We all are.
2009-09-14 12:28 PM

Extreme Veteran

Excellent job....great RR....you are a TRIATHLETE!!!!

2009-09-17 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
So proud of you! glad you had a blast on the bike and congrats on the swim. You'll nail the run in no time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Las Vegas Triathlon Race #2 Rss Feed