United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 48s
Overall Rank = 4/48
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6 am, ate a Clif Bar and sipped on Cytomax. Set up in a pretty good spot in transition and debated what to wear. It was about 52 degrees and very windy. Ended up with tri shorts, tri top, and lightweight zip up bike jersey. Beanie hat.
Event warmup:

Jogged about one mile, stretched. Roctane at 7:40 am.
Run
  • 21m 59s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off at a strong pace and sat around 6th place or so until around 10 minutes in, then moved up to 4th at the end when a few runners ahead of me missed the turn (the turn was explained prior to the start). Felt very comfortable throughout. At about 2 miles, got a sharp stomach cramp that took a lot of deep breathing to go away. Never bothered me again.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. The 1st-3rd runners were rabbits and ran in a pack together.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

The transition area is grassy and soaking wet from last night's heavy rain. So I ditched the normal plan of keeping my shoes on the pedals so my socks wouldn't get soaked. Didn't like running in my cleats. Felt like my helmet wasn't fitting right as I ran out and everyone started screaming at me that it was on backwards. It was. What a douche. Of course my wife was right there taking pictures of it. So I lost another ten seconds or so turning it around.

Put my helmet on right. Definitely prefer running with no shoes and mounting with shoes already on the pedals.
Bike
  • 36m 55s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 18.20 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to really "hammer" the bike because I tend to lose a lot of time. Having rode the course a few times previously, I knew to ride hard on the first part of the course since there was a killer wind out of the south. I felt pretty good in general and constantly tried to push. But the first turn heading back north was like hitting a wall. Just did the best I could.
Was passed for the first time around American Furniture by another duathlete on a tri bike. The second one came just before Jordan Road. So I was really happy with this. In duathlon, I run ok but get killed on the bike so the fact that I held off some of these faster guys through most of the race was nice.

My average was about 18 mph and at first I wasn't very happy with this. Last season, I was around 20 mph. But the fastest duathlete ride was around 21 mph and it looked like the triathlon averages were slower than normal as well. So I'm hoping the wind slowed everyone else down like it did me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Again, I kept my cleats on because of the wet grass. Still a good time here. The two other guys that passed me had about a minute and 30 seconds on me respectively and I left transition with the second guy. Fastest T2 for the duathlon!

Nothing.
Run
  • 20m 59s
  • 3.05 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a little worried because I felt like I'd rode harder than normal but I actually felt pretty good on this run after about a half mile. Moved to 5th place right away and then caught 4th place a few minutes later. The top three were literally over a mile ahead of me so not much more I could do. Worked on picking off other triathlete runners with the ultimate goal of catching this fast kid that blew by at the start of the run. Right hip a little tight but loosened up. No cramps.
Caught the kid with about 1/4 mile left as he was fading. Good, strong finish.

Still have more in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched. Hip getting a bit sore. Hung out with the family for a little while at the playground and then we headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistant training. Some recent bugs. Home with a sick kid all week had me confined to the house so I wasn't happy with my taper.

Event comments:

What I wouldn't give for mile markers on the run. Why do so many races neglect this? Shouldn't have to Garmin every race should I?

Otherwise, another well run race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:59 | 03.3 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 4/48
Performance: Good
No mile markers!
Course: Started by the transition and ran the normal course, then came back around the finish line and jumped in where the swimmers run to transition. Thus the first leg was closer to 3.3 miles, not 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:02
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:36:55 | 11.2 miles | 18.20 mile/hr
Overall: 11/48
Wind: Headwind
Course: Basically a lollipop. Out with the wind and back with a killer headwind.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:59 | 03.05 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 4/48
Course: Regular out and back on Cherry Creek trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Fall Frenzy Duathlon

2009-09-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2404233

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy Duathlon

Nice race.  Still feeling guilty that I didn't try to get in this one.   Good job.

2009-09-14 11:49 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

funny about the helmet issue.  glad your wife was there to get you straight!    Nice race and really fast run!  2nd in AG...congrats!  I wanted to get my kids to ride out there with me and watch for a while but they had other plans.

2009-09-14 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Nice job on the 2nd place finish!  You had some fast run splits.  Good plan riding hard on the first part of the bike.  I remember hitting that wall of wind, it was demoralizing. 
2009-09-16 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
Denver Colorado
Awesome job Todd!!! Fantastic... even with the helmet issue! We all have our days...  Embarassed God knows I've had mine!

I'm super impressed with your run splits and your overall strategy! A great race man!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Duathlon Rss Feed