Piranha Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 29m 28s
Overall Rank = 64/213
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Slept right through my watch alarm. Oops. But shortly after there were enough other racers up and making noise that I woke up (phew!). Packed up camp and drove over to the parking area (nice to be so close!). Checked in, set up transition, nibbled on my muffin and talked with the racers set up around me.
Event warmup:

Walked the ~0.4 miles down to the pond.
Swim
  • 44m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rather uneventful. Got smacked around a bit by the old men in my wave. Buoys were FAR apart which made sighting a bit difficult (I probably swam further). Drank some of the "tasty" lake water... blech!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Bike
  • 2h 55m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Out of T1, got up to speed, sat down... owwww!! A bit sore from yesterday! Man, this is going to be a loooooong ride!! Ok, time to HTFU! Held a pretty good effort for the first 30+ miles. Then, maybe it was the wind or false flats, but I felt like I was slowing down. Or maybe I actually *was* slowing down... since I did get passed by a few people in the last 20 miles. Oh well. Around 35 miles I see a squirrel darting across the road. Uh-oh! I must have run over a leg or tail or something (felt a bump!) before it turned and ran back. Phew!! Very happy to get back to transition... sitting on the bike was painful and things were going downhill.
What would you do differently?:

More aquaphor!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Run
  • 1h 46m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew that this would make or break my race. I know I can have a strong run, but after racing hard the day before I wasn't sure what I'd be capable of. Started out at a good pace (~8:00/mi) and felt pretty comfortable there. Figured 1:45 would really be pushing it but should be able to go <1:50. Held a pretty steady pace and began reeling in other racers. Running along the canal, baking under the sun, not much to look at... got really really boring!!! Then ~5 miles the speed boats started tearing up and down the canal... oh, goody... entertainment!!! Spent the rest of the run trying to keep the pace up, passing people, and watching the boats. Got water at every station but was still very thirsty.
What would you do differently?:

Put sunblock on my face. Carry a water bottle.
Post race
Warm down:

Put my gear in my car, walked into the campground and stuck my head under a water spigot. Aahhhhhhhh!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm... racing the day before, perhaps??

Last updated: 2009-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:14 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 94/213
Performance:
Includes >1/3 mi run to transition. Too bad I didn't check my watch when I got out of the water.
Suit: Zoot sleeveless
Course: Long, skinny rectangle course in Lums Pond. Visibility was low, maybe 2 ft. And for 70F the water felt pretty chilly (not sure how accurate the water temp reading was).
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:38 | 56 miles | 19.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 125/213
Wind: Some
Course: Small loop to the west of the park, then a long out and back to the east. Primarily a flat course with one big bridge on the out/back portion. Fast course with some wind on the eastern section.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:32 | 13.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 35/213
Course: Out and back along the canal; flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes