Genesis Adventures
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 45m 30s
Overall Rank = 42/92
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Packed my gear the night before. Stopped at Wawa for coffee and a bacon-egg-and-cheese. Stopped at next Wawa for gas and to use the facility. Saw many people in blue and white heading to Beaver Stadium, contemplated going with them instead but knew I'd been getting ready for this way too long.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and bs'ing with fellow competitors. Eased into the water, which was 68 or so. Met my wetsuit twin and joked around with him.
Swim
  • 38m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim, first time in the new suit.
Little chop on way back, but a lake swim is a lake swim - they rock compared to the ocean.
Overall happy with my swim performance, especially given my lack of yardage lately.
What would you do differently?:

Remember to bodyglide the neck and suit lines next time, major chafing. Need to work on navigation big time seemed like I was all over the place; told the lifeguard they needed to paint lane lines.

Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Wetsuit came off well; hope the Mrs. didn't want Pam to make eggs for breakfast cause I stole it. Slow transition just trying to make sure the rest of my stuff for the run stayed dry in the rain. Classic moment coming out of T1 - went off the road and thru a big mud puddle; thank God I didn't fall or a hundred people would have been laughing their a$$es off.

Go faster - where the ___ did 3 minutes go?
Bike
  • 3h 04m 6s
  • 56.7 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Just a slow bike today, but everyone had a little taken off due to the rain. At times it wasn't too bad, but at other times it was almost impossible to see. And the hill on 313 was ridiculous; I just couldn't bring myself to bomb at 40+ and risk not going home. And the fire police guy at the one corner must have been asleep in his truck because me and a few others almost got killed at one corner where the light could go against you at times.

Overall not ecstatic with my result; know I could have ridden better. Still had some of the cramping like I had at Sunset, despite being armed with electrolytes and Cramp 911 - luckily it came and went.

I really thought this was a nice and fair course though; hilly enough to be fun, but not too hilly that it sucks.

More miles on my legs definitely. More rolling courses and more time on VF mountain and in French Creek area.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

How in the heck did this take 1:52 - oh wait, I couldn't find the dry socks I brought - I swear I put them in my running shoes. The guy next to me's kids got a kick out of the water pouring out of my bike shoes.

I am proud of myself for ignoring the weatherman Friday nite and packing garbage bags anyway. Put my nice dry running shoes on over my wet socks.

Find my dry socks before clean-up.
Run
  • 1h 58m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Just not a good run for me. I didn't have rhyme or reason to my walk breaks at times and that hurt my pace. And... I couldn't find the margarita stop - they all said it was the next rest stop.

Highlight of the run was seeing my kiddos and lovely wife at the run turnaround. Kids had signs and all, whioh was very cool.

I did run with a guy on the way back on the second loop, but he was young and crushed me with about 3/4 mile to go.

But seriously, my lack of performance on the run was, I think, due to just needing more overall volume. My legs were shot so that I couldn't push it on the run. So --- more overall volume
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Chris and the kids, got some food and pizza. Steretched a lot and put on dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training volume.

Event comments:

Overall, I am pumped that I completed my first half - when I started this last year, I couldn't run a mile straight. Now it's time to get in shape so I can race one next year. For the event - Nice race - I would do it again. These smaller races are just my style.

Last updated: 2009-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 31/92
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleveless ProMotion
Course: 2 loops, clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:06 | 56.7 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Overall: 26/92
Performance: Average
HR good - Z2, average 149 which is low for me actually. Laps pretty even about 1 hour each.
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops, mostly rolling hills. One hill of terror with pouring rain, traffic, and of course no brakes due to said rain.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:58:09 | 13.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 54/92
Performance: Below average
HR mostly Z2 which is low for me on the run.
Course: 2 loops, a couple killer hills especially on way out. I personally couldn't get a good feel for where I was on the course; seemed like the mile marks were a little off too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes