General Discussion Race Reports! » Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival - Short and Fat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival - Short and Fat - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cable, Wisconsin
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 7s
Overall Rank = 107/866
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/82
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Cable morning of the race, got race packet and put my bike number on before riding over to the start area to put my bike in the corral. Didn't get a very good spot as I didn't have a Preferred Start seeding and the regular corral already had quite a few bike already lined up.
Event warmup:

None...nada...zippo...hey, I just did 0.9 of an IM last week :)
Bike
  • 1h 04m 7s
  • 16 miles
  • 14.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Was going to take this race easy the whole time but that thought lasted for about the first half mile. When I saw how slow people were going (this is the short race of the festival that many beginners do...pros and more experienced riders do the Cheq 40 miler) I couldn't take it any longer. I went into race mode and started hammering...passing people on the left, right, in the middle..whatever it took. Passed people most of the race until about 5 miles left to go and then it was just me and several riders moving back and forth amongst ourselves.

After riding in aero position all summer racing and training for triathlon my hands were absolutely NOT ready for an hour of gripping handlebars very hard. They got numb after the first 20 minutes which led to some control issues. Shifting become tougher to do and my hands were so sweaty at one point I hit a rock at a bad angle, my right hand flew off the handlebar and I almost went over the handlebars. I managed to recover and the guy next to me yelled "nice recovery!". Shit, that was close. After that I kind of throttled back a little and wasn't as agressive. I think I only got passed by 3 riders after that, so it didn't really make too much difference.
What would you do differently?:

Ride my mountain bike a lot more.
Post race
Warm down:

Shower, hamburger, brat, and a beer then waited about 20 minutes for the winner of the Cheq 40 to come in. 2 guys came down to the wire with the difference being a bike length. I'm doing the long one next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no mountain bike training

Event comments:

The Fat Tire Festival is one of the highlights of the year in this neck of the woods. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Last updated: 2009-09-19 12:00 AM
Biking
01:04:07 | 16 miles | 14.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/82
Overall: 107/866
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Mix of gravel road, logging truck roads, American Birkebeiner ski trail and good old fashioned single-track
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-19 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival - Short and Fat

2009-09-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2415431

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival - Short and Fat

good stuff here dude!!!  probably a total different feel to a race day all around i suppose..........maybe next year...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival - Short and Fat Rss Feed