CTA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay--Mixed
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

Since I was just doing the bike leg of a relay, I was much less nervous than last week. Drove to the race with my sister and Kath. Ate a bagel. Watched the swim waves go off.
Event warmup:

Took a 10 min or so jog. Went to transition to wait for Laura (our swimmer) to arrive.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 59s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 21.54 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fun ride since I had no worries about doing the run afterwards. Since the relays were the last wave, I was passing people the whole way. Also rode in my aero bars more than I thought I would be able to when I drove the course.

The only real mistake I made was coming out of one turn where I was focusing on maintinaing my momentum (I drove the course with my sister who has ridden it a few times the day before and she showed me the spots where you really wanted to do this because you came up to some "blind" hills in spots). I did a reasonably good job with my momentum (not great--but good), but forgot I was in my big ring--big mistake. By the time I realized it, I basically had no choice but to stand up and mash in too big a gear until I could get enough speed to shift--ouch!

Continued passing people all the way home, hopped off bike and ran into transition to pass the chip off to my sister (our runner).
What would you do differently?:

Go a a little harder in spots--still had some gas in the tank at the end. Remember to get into the small ring around that turn.

If I were doing the full race (as I will in Philly next month), I'm sure I would have gone a little more conservatively in some of the climbs. I'd also have to drink/eat more. I went through less than 1 water bottle--again knowing didn't have to worry off the bike. But for the full race, I would likely go through 2 bottles plus a gel or 2.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked with Kath to go over to the finish area and watch Laura's husband Glenn finish. Then watch my sister come in. Had some post-race food & drink and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a willingness to push myself to the edge a little more. But it was a good ride. I actually felt like I could have run the 10k off the bike (not fast mind you). Our team managed to finish 4th out of 18 in the mixed group--not too bad.

Event comments:

I will consider doing the full race next year. It's a tough course, but a good location overall and very well run.

Last updated: 2005-02-16 12:00 AM
Biking
01:10:59 | 25.48 miles | 21.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty hilly course. Lots of ups and down. Just like home!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 8:19 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2005-05-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: #161622

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Good going John.  First in your AG!  I know you did this as a relay, but still...
2005-05-23 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Grear Ride Johnny!
2005-05-23 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Good ride/race John..
2005-05-23 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Nice job John! You better do the whole race next year!
2005-05-23 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Great job John, I know exactly the hill you're talking about. I tried to take it fast too, took an inside line and almost hit someone else. Thankfully I didn't.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed