General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some winter coaching/training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-21 10:57 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Looking for some winter coaching/training advice

Tri season is now officially in the books for 2009 for me, after completing my first HIM last weekend.  I was happy with the result, but also realized that I may have been lacking some endurance by the time I got to the run.  I had been conservative on the bike, but still ran out of gas.

Basically, I want to take the next 6-7 months and get myself as prepared as possible for 2010.  I'll minimize the run training for the next little while, and would like to focus on the swim and bike. 

Swimming - I'm a BOP swimmer, and need to spend more time in the pool.  But partly because I don't do so well in the water I also tend to dread these workouts a bit.  Either way I would like to swim 4 times a week, and if the budget allows, look for a couple of lessons to hep with form.

Cycling - I plan to ride 3-4 times per week.  I followed Jorges winter cycling plan last year and that really seemed to help leading into the season, but then some of my training tailed off a bit.  I think I need to add in a longer ride on the trainer.

My big concern is over doing it (I don't mean over training) during the winter, and I want to avoid that.  Is it wise to train as much during the off season as you do during the Tri season?  Should I look to minimize the workouts and ramp up when the season starts?  I really want to develop the cycling legs this winter (as well as swim form), but am unsure if it makes sense to just take it easier so that you're ready to step up the training time and intensity come Spring time.

2009-09-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2417585

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Looking for some winter coaching/training advice
Aside from a few weeks of 'down time' to recover physically and mentally, there is no reason to "take it easier" in the off-season.  Some of my hardest sessions come in the off-season.  There are no races to worry about "over-cooking" it in training.  I generally do fewer hours.  More intensity--especially on the bike. 

I also think most people should keep running frequency up.  Running is the hardest thing to build back up in my opinion.  At least maintain as much "durability" as possible.  I've become a big fan of frequent, generally easy and mostly relatively short runs to do this.
2009-09-21 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2417660

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-09-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2417585

Elite
Ontario
I had thought about minimizing the run since it's where I'm strongest at the moment.  Key for me is that even if I don't improve too much on the swim, I want to come out of the winter a stronger cyclist - especially if I consider doing a HIM again next year.

Further thoughts on how to plan enough volume over the winter to see improvements by Spring?
2009-09-22 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2418282

Elite
Chicago
GoFaster - 2009-09-21 2:55 PM

I had thought about minimizing the run since it's where I'm strongest at the moment.  Key for me is that even if I don't improve too much on the swim, I want to come out of the winter a stronger cyclist - especially if I consider doing a HIM again next year.

Further thoughts on how to plan enough volume over the winter to see improvements by Spring?

IMO: Get your FTP up by Spring. Focus on run, bike, and swim technique in off season sprinkled with intensity. I like JohnnyKay's advice on intensity. All my athletes are hammering their limiters in the off season whether it's speed or efficiency or both (notice I didn't mention volume or endurance?)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some winter coaching/training advice Rss Feed