Jackson Tri Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 12s
Overall Rank = 57/143
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:15 and made my way to the kitchen for a Clif bar and a banana. I also drank some water and put together three water bottles for the race. two water and one accelarade (one of the waters was to wash off my feet in T1) I got all my stuff together quite early and the paced around the house worrying about what I must have been forgetting. (luckily didn't forget anything) I packed up the car and drove up to the race site.The event was setup with two different transition areas.

Our instructions were to go park near the finish and T2, setup our T2 area and then ride over to T1 and setup our bike. T1 was next to the pool (duh) and about a mile away from T2 and the finish.
Event warmup:

My warmup was basically riding from T2 to T1. I got there before most of the other folks and setup my area. After the lifeguards arrived we were allowed about a 5 min warmup in the pool before the race. I hopped in and swam about 50 yards and practiced doing flip turns under the lane ropes. then cut across the pool and got out as I would be getting out after the swim.

Swim
  • 02m 41s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was quite short. I passed the guy in front of me and because I was in the first 7 we pretty much had plenty of room to swim. no problems here.

This was only one of two parts that I aced. 4 of the 6 people in front of me where 13 - 15 year olds that, right before the race, put on the year-round swim team caps. I felt pretty good that those were the ones ahead of me. :)
What would you do differently?:

hrmm.. I guess I sumitted a slighly slower swim time that I was capable of. I submitted 2:45 and my time was 2:41 counting jumping in and getting out and running to the not-too-far-away timing mat.

I enjoyed the swim... 3rd fasted over all!!! Gotta find me a masters team:)
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Wow.. is it a bad sign if your T1 time is 23 seconds LONGER than your whole swim!?!? :) Past weeks dialog.

BT: DON'T try and put a shirt on in T1
BT: Ditto.. no shirt in T1
BT: I highly advise against putting a shirt on in T1
Me: Oh please.. My shirt is gonna be loose fitting and it won't be a big deal.
BT: No.. Really.. you need to go shirtless.
Me: yeah yeah yeah.. blah blah blah.. my shirt will be fine.
Pool: Hey everyone.. welcome to the Tri.. I'm here to get you nice and wet
Me: Ok.. out of the pool.. goggles off.. into T1.. down to my bike.
Socks: No.. I don't want to go on.. well.. ok.. maybe this time...
Shoes: You should probably hurry up buddy.. oh.. and don't forget to tuck your laces into me so they don't get caught in your chainring..
Shirt: MWUHAHAHAHA.. you silly silly boy!! BWWAHAHAHA you gotta be kidding me.. Just for fun.. now i'm gonna take this number that you pinned to me.. and chew it up and spit it out.. Pwithaa.. how you like that MR. man!! What? you think i'm on inside-out.. hehee i'm not.. so you can try and put me on again.. ok.. i guess now that you've been sitting here for 3 minutes and all of the water has already evaporated off your body.. i'll go on.. and i'll be nice and let you pin that silly number back on me.. go ahead..you should get outta here.. I just saw a guy who started WAAY after you leave T1.. get on your horse son!!
Me: $%*&!#$&%&#!###.. stupid shirt.

Well.. my loving friends, after hearing my story about the blasted shirt went out and bought me for my birthday (which was race day :)) a race belt. So no more shirt wrestling for me .. yippie! Now I just need to work on my tan so I don't blind everyone on the bike and run :) Thanks for all the advice BT. Maybe I'll pay attention next time. :)

111/143
Bike
  • 27m 8s
  • 8 miles
  • 17.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I probably averaged over 20mph heading out but coming back was a little more windy and the hills seemed to be a little more up :).

I felt after the first mile or so that I went out a little hard but I think it was just because my legs weren't loose yet. after a few minutes I got into a pretty good rythym and was crusing along.. I probably passed as many people as I got passed by. well.. maybe got passed by a few more.. but who's counting ;)

The course was pretty much strait with only a few turns. There was a round-a-bout not too far from the turn around that was fun to navigate.. as well as turning off the course heading down to T2.

Down a short hill into the parking lot, around the T2 area to the dismount line.

I did have this one moment where I decided that it would be a good idea to take a drink of water while going down a hill. About half way down I realized what a waste that was as I could have been FLYING!! oh well.. next time I'll do my drinking on the flats.

Also need to get clipless pedals (hopefully this week) and figure out how to get dressed better (or find a nice top to wear during the swim).
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Well.. having my race number on already i guess helped me. I pretty much rode in.. dismounted..trotted to my rack number. Racked the bike. Took of the helmet and glasses.. took a big swig of drink. donned my hat and was off.

12/143

use race belt to save T1 time. Next time i'll probably be using clipless pedals so I'll have to put my shoes and socks on here. Maybe I'll give the sockless running a try.
Run
  • 17m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow.. i really ran sub 9 min miles??? I've never done that before. And I still feel like I could have started my kick towards the end a little sooner.

I came flying out of T2 and realized that I needed to calm down a little bit. I slowed down and got in a pretty good rythym that felt about right for me. The course seemed a little longer that 2 miles but judging by my time.. I'm sure it wasn't. On the way back I decided to have a little fun with the water folks. Since it was getting hot and I was sweating pretty good.. I got the lady to pour the cup on my head. They enjoyed that.. but not as much as I did :)

Loose 40 lbs.. and start my kick earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked with my wife, parents and those two good friends of mine that gave me the race belt :) Ate a banana, orange quarter and had some gatorade and water. No soreness to speak of really so I guess I didn't push hard enough.. oh well..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight!! oh.. and that damn shirt. no more shirt for me. I'm gonna bare the buddah to the world next time!! :)

Event comments:

I'M SOOOO HOOKED!

Totally ready to do the next one.. but have some work to do on my swim endurance and my running. Hopefully I can drop 10 more lbs in the next month and be ready to go. Also.. after comparing me and my weight to some of the folks in this Tri.. I feel that with some work I could actually be competitive. I'm 28 as of race day so I have another two years before I move up into the more competitive age group. Hopefully by then I'll be ready to rock and roll! I also looke at the regular age-groupers (non-first timers) and would have also finised 3rd in that category. It is also worth mentioning that two of the top 3 overall finishers were in my agegroup. (so I was really 5 out of 9) At any rate.. I'm PUMPED and really proud of all the work i've put into this.

Thank you BT for EVERYTHING!! You ALL helped me get here and I'm gonna count on you all to get me even further!!!!

Last updated: 2005-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:41 | 200 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 3/143
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was a pool swim of 200 yards in a 6 lane pool. there were three lane ropes in the middle of the pool dividing the pool into four sections. the outside lanes were actually two adjacent lanes not divided by ropes. then the there were three regular lanes in the middle divided by ropes. The swim started at one end.. Down one side. turn. down the next lane. turn under the rope, down and back in that 1 lane. turn under the rope.. down and back in 1 lane. turn under the rope. and then down and back in the final two lanes and out of the pool (that probably made no sense) The start was a time trial start approx 10 seconds apart.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:08 | 08 miles | 17.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 46/143
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Down and back from the pool ending up at the seperate T2 location about a mile from the pool. Pretty flat with some small hills.. really small hills.. should have been a pretty fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:40 | 02 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 88/143
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with one little hill to contend with. Going out it was steep with a slow descent. back.. long ascent with a quick descent.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: Soak up the Sun Triathlon

2005-05-23 10:23 AM
in reply to: #161690

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Soak up the Sun Triathlon

Great job, Will. Live and learn, I'm sure the first one taught you lots of lessons.

Lesson #1: Listen to the more experienced BTers!

When's the next one? Have you registered for CajunMan yet?

2005-05-23 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Lesson #2: Replace stolen camera so you can have pictures of teh event.. DOH..

I did have a picture take of me and three other medalists that hopefully I can swipe off the jacksontri website if and when it gets posted.

Haven't yet signed up for cajunman or river cities (i think i'm gonna do both )

Gotta wait till payday

ws
2005-05-23 10:45 AM

Regular
Jackson, MS
Awesome report Will! Reading it makes me want to go for a work out.

you want to lose 40 lbs? I didn't see it.

2005-05-23 10:47 AM

Regular
Jackson, MS
Oh, I forgot.... Happy Birthday!
2005-05-23 10:50 AM
in reply to: #161752

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
10sToTri - 2005-05-23 9:45 AM

Awesome report Will! Reading it makes me want to go for a work out.

you want to lose 40 lbs? I didn't see it.

Thanks Clay.. but as of this morning.. I could loose 40 lbs and still quailfy as a Clydesdale

It was great to meet you! Sorry we bolted without saying goodbye. We had a meeting to go to that we were late for.

Thanks for help making the Tri happen! I'll be joining the club soon..

ws

2005-05-23 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Congrats on a great race Will!!! 
2005-05-23 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

Great race - awesome swim splits! Get yourself a tri top and you'll dominate!

2005-05-23 4:12 PM

User image

Buttercup
Congrats, Will. Great times! Glad you're hooked.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soak up the Sun Triathlon Rss Feed