United States
Nathans Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 10s
Overall Rank = 217/282
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Grabbed a fiber one bar and a banana. Got to the race in plenty of time.
Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 38m 7s
  • 820 yards
  • 04m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was a nightmare. The last time I swam in this lake was last year. At that race I freaked and started back stroking. During my backstroke I turned my self around the wrong direction. The lifeguard had to come tell me i was going the wrong way. Today was my day to redeem myself. I was ready. I timed my 750 on Friday in the pool wearing my new trisuit. 18:30. I felt good. I knew I could do it.

When my wave got into the water I just freaked out. I couldn't get into a rhythm even getting to the start bouys about 50 meters out. What a mess. My heart was pounding, I couldn't get my face in the water, describe a bad swimmer and you describe me.

When we get the green light to start swimming I try to get going. People are running into me and I freak out again. I had to flip onto my back probably within the first 4-5 minutes to calm myself down. I'd swim on my back but it didn't seem to get me very far. Then I'd start turning the wrong direction. I probably added time b/c I was zigzagging down the lake! The wave after me was the OLY distance pros. I was so slow they started coming out and I freaked out again. Getting run over a couple times was scary.

I tried to calm down when I turned the corner. Nothing seemed to help. finally in the last 100 - 200 meters I started swimming. FINALLY. By that time it was too late. I doubled my pool swim time. UGH!
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to get a swim coach and do more open water swims. If I could tackle this swim issue it would really help my overall time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I went sockless so that sped things up. I had one glitch with my shoe. I couldn't get the tongue out.

Run faster to get where I was going
Bike
  • 43m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt awesome on the bike. I had speeds ranging from 10-24 mph on the course. The couse had lots of turn arounds so we had to slow way down to flip direction. I feel great about my bike time. I haven't ridden in a while due to personal issues so I'm happy with my performance.

Drink more and practice more before race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

This was slower b/c I was trying to get my socks and shoes on.

Run faster
Run
  • 33m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was able to get a nice groove quickly. I was able to pass people a few people. I walked at the water stations only.

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

I felt really good for about 20 minutes. All of us a sudden I had a headache, then I felt dizzy, then I felt sick. My bro-in-law was able to help me get to a shady spot. I was a hot mess! I finally got to the point where I could stand up to move my bike to the car and I got sick 3 times! Embarrassing! I really need to work on hydrating better. I couldn't drive myself home so I went to my in-law's home where my husband and kids met me. They all nursed me back to health. I was better by about 1:00.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really need to hydrate better.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. I can't think of what would make it better. The volunteers were great.

Last updated: 2009-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:07 | 820 yards | 04m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 273/282
Performance: Bad
Suit: TYR Trisuit
Course: Rectangle OWS in Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:08 | 12 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Overall: 121/282
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: flat but lots of turn arounds
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:40 | 03.1 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 190/282
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-27 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Subject: Nathans Triathlon

2009-09-28 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2429076

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Nathans Triathlon
Congrats!
Considering your rough start you persevered and did quite well!

Edited by losta 2009-09-28 7:57 AM
2009-09-28 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2429239

User image

Master
Chicago
Congrats - Don't let the swim get to you. You'll be able to see a nice shift in times as you keep at it. I found more OWS this summer helped me a great deal.

17mph NICE! Can't wait to hear about the next race!
2009-09-28 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Congrats, way to go getting through the swim and finishing. You did it! You powered through the rough spots and kept chugging, that's an awesome accomplishment. I think everyone has a tough time with the swim at least once, if not several times, so just keep training ows and doing tris and it will get better - or at least a little more relaxing... Great job!
2009-09-30 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Weird.  My time is showing 6 hours!  It was only 2:00 hours.  Oh well.  The swim felt like 4 hours! 
2009-09-30 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

I can't tell you how many times I have had swims like that in Tempe Town Lake...it was a pool of horrors for me for a long time.  You've proven you can do it in the pool, so just keep trying OWS (and TTL swims when possible) and things get much better with repetition.  Congratulations on putting it aside after getting out of the water and enjoying the rest of the race - great mental toughness!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathans Triathlon Rss Feed