Tucson Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and took my time getting ready to head over the the transition area.

Got to transition area early enough to take my time setting up my area, got marked, picked up timing chip, etc.

Went down to the beach and sat a relaxed and watched the earlier waves do their swim.
Event warmup:

Didn't warm-up much. It was really warm out already for early in the AM, and the walk from the hotel to the transition area (about 1/2 mile) warmed everything up pretty good. Just relaxed and stayed loose leading up to my waves start time.
Swim
  • 14m 28s
  • 450 meters
  • 03m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a lot of trouble negotiating through the crowd. Started near the back b/c based on my performance three week before in IL, I planned on going out nice and slow to avoid the same problems I encountered then.

The problem was, staying near the back meant that when I swam, I was faster than everyone around me, and a couple of other competitors in particular kept criscrossing me (they were having problems sighting).

I definitely need to work on my open water swimming. While I can easily do 1000m+ in the pool with no real trouble - the 450m in open water with navigation, other competitors and waves added in is much more difficult than in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

I need to significantly improve my swimming endurance and work on open water swimming. Also, I need to do a bunch more sprint distance (with shortish swims - around 400m) triathlons before upgrading to anything with longer swims.

I think it is just more navigating the other competitors and getting more comfortable in the open water (the whole there is not edge within 10 or 15 meters to grab if I need it). Average HR during swim was only 154, which is not that high for me - for example Avg. HR on the bike was 162.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Again, was pretty spent from the swim. Walked through transition and took my time getting on my cycling shoes, helmet, etc.. Hydrated with some water, caught my breath and got out on the bike.

Improve my swimming so I can run to transition, get on bike gear faster and run to bike mounting line.
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike. Could have pushed harder, but I wan't to make sure I had enough for the run in the increasing temperatures and I am glad I did. Started out pretty easy and slow after struggling in the swim.

Improve my swimming so I can get out faster on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Space was a little cramped. The transition area could have been 25% bigger, but my time in T2 could have been faster. I took some extra time to take in some Gatorade and water. Temp was pushing 95 degrees already.

Move faster changing and take in the water and Gatorade on the move.
Run
  • 37m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good. Controlled myself out of T2 and avoided starting too fast. The hill out of T2 helped with that. It was really hot on the run, but they had plenty of aid station and each time I felt like I needed to hydrate - there was an aid station w/ water and Gatorade.

Started to have a slight cramping problem in my right quad during the last mile on any slight incline, but it subsided on declines and flat spots, and went completely away after the race.

Felt like stopping and walking a bunch of time, but pushed through and was able to run the entire 5k, and maintain the slightly over 12 minute per mile pace throughout.

Not a lot. I do definitely need to continue working on endurance and add some speed work, though. And, I need to do some more sprint distances before I move up to the Oly or 1/4 distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around the finish area and hydrated a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance, conditioning, speed training and the HEAT. Need to work on my swimming and build more mental toughness in the water. I have developed a good amount of toughness to push through on the bike and run, but need work for in the water so I can push through harder.

Event comments:

Well put on event. The highlight of post-race was getting to see Hunter Kemper compete and solidify his #1 world ranking, and seeing Barb Lindquist on the first race of her fairwell tour. Both are great athletes and great people. Didn't get a chance to talk to either of them (hoped I would, but they didn't stick around too overly long) they didn't stay out too long due to the heat. You could tell the heat even effect them and they wanted to get out of the heat and relax and hydrate. It was over 100 degrees by the time the pros (you raced last - after all the age group events were over) were on the run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:28 | 450 meters | 03m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out and back across Tempe Town Lake from the north beach toward south shore (at Tempe Beach Park) and back to north shore. Swim was right along the west side of the Mill Avenue bridge.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:18 | 12.4 miles | 17.59 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops around downtown Tempe. Relatively flat with a few inclines and declines. Very fast. Once I got out on the bike it became evident I hadn't spent myself on the swim as bad as I thought. I think it is just more navigating the other competitors and getting more comfortable in the open water (the whole there is not edge within 10 or 15 meters to grab if I need it).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:37 | 03.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Course: One loop course. Started out with a pretty intimidating hill right out of the transition area, and that was no fun. After that the course was pretty much flat. A few slight inclines and declines, but nothing that caused an increase in effort or HR.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-24 12:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: Rio Salado Sprint

2005-05-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: #162280

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Rio Salado Sprint
CONGRATS on a good race. I ran the Pat Tillman OLY there a cuople of weeks ago, same course I think. Anyway, congrats once again.
2005-05-24 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
GREAT race Tim!  You did awesome!  And quite the speed on the bike!  Nice job
2005-05-28 5:56 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Nice race is such extreme heat!!

Sorry you weren't in Memphis with the tri club! It was overcast and cloudy for the race and didn't really get hot until we were leaving around 1:00.

Was the water hot too?! yuck-o
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rio Salado Sprint Rss Feed